===[TASK]=== 0 A.D Ships Update.

@Alexandermb I think that looks pretty great! I think you can hollow out the front trapezoid box to create a sort of elevated platform. You could also make the ship a teeny bit more narrow. 

Spoiler

These are also interesting refs. See how they use the "box" at the front as an elevated platform. 

egyptianboat1.JPG.932a348389e4e68094ba393f06d8f3d9.JPG

Khufu's ship illustrates how narrow these boats can be.

1816252641_kingkhufuship(4).JPG.25871c58eef51a1bd408053e8dfe6e9a.JPG

The way you are going, I could easily imagine 3 types of ships, small, medium, and large. The small one would remain the current small warship that they have. The Large one would be the one you're working on now. And the medium one could be the same as the large one, but scaled down, and without the central cabin, similar to the first ref in the spoiler. 

4 hours ago, Imarok said:

Why that? Can't we just add units standing on the boat and using the oars?

(Nice work as always)

Would be weird with the rest of the ships but if that is desired i'll make the animations for the oarsmen. (Something like that was discussed with the norse ships too, because of the ships scale compared with units).

22 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

Would be weird with the rest of the ships but if that is desired i'll make the animations for the oarsmen. (Something like that was discussed with the norse ships too, because of the ships scale compared with units).

Hmm, true. 

2 hours ago, Alexandermb said:

Yep, now we have more variants :D

Awesome! :) I'll make at least one more very soon. 

2 hours ago, Alexandermb said:

So the one i'm doing would be the trireme, and that one the bireme Right?

If you're up for it, yes :). It would be nice to have three ship types. If you do the "bireme", I'd even suggest to put a build-limit of only one of those bigger "triremes", and call it a "royal barque", with some kind of special bonus if you garrison a hero.  

3 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

The game should really rename the classes of ship to light, medium, and heavy, instead of bireme, trireme, and quinquireme, which are specifically Roman terms. 

Agree, i had to rename norse drekkar to Quinquereme in the unit template file to AI properly use it in the docks.

@Alexandermb

940fde56dd832f13bbe0d563d3def924.jpg.d2187f7de835f8228df646bd230c1547.jpg

I love it!

The only thing I'd still say is to make the sails wider. In most of refs, the sails seem to be about 60% to 90% the length of the vessel. Yours look less than 50% the length. I wouldn't mind adding an Eye of Horus to the  prow of the ship if you provide the textures. 

I hope you can use this Pegasus. The Pegasus was a symbol of some of the Legions. To tie it in a little with the other one I just added the SPQR. If there's any Rome-experts out there that care to weigh in, because I'm not an expert in this department..

2091688674_RomanPegasus1.thumb.png.34132760a4e5f005d44f92e5262fe2fe.png

Edited by Sundiata

17 hours ago, Sundiata said:

@Alexandermb

940fde56dd832f13bbe0d563d3def924.jpg.d2187f7de835f8228df646bd230c1547.jpg

I love it!

The only thing I'd still say is to make the sails wider. In most of refs, the sails seem to be about 60% to 90% the length of the vessel. Yours look less than 50% the length. I wouldn't mind adding an Eye of Horus to the  prow of the ship if you provide the textures. 

2091688674_RomanPegasus1.thumb.png.34132760a4e5f005d44f92e5262fe2fe.png

I'll make wider the sail.

Here the Pegasus Sail: (Ive did a little adjust with gimp to the pegasus, the lines were a bit small so the pegasus wasn't visible enough.

Spoiler

image.png

Pegasus isn't exclusive symbol.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/moonmoth/pegasos_coins.html

you can use others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roma_(mythology)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She-wolf_(Roman_mythology)

http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/myth/myroma.htm

Resultado de imagen para luperca coins 

it would be a shame if you chose to represent pegaso as a symbol of the Roman republic.

Edited by Diatryma
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Diatryma said:

Pegasus isn't exclusive symbol.

Yes, I know... If we strip everything that isn't exclusively Roman, we'd have no Romans... 

45 minutes ago, Diatryma said:

it would be a shame if you chose to represent pegaso as a symbol of the Roman republic.

Considering the Romans actually used Pegasus as a symbol themselves, including for one of their legions (III Augusta), it really wouldn't be a shame... It's just to add variation to the sails. I'm not totally happy with how it turned out, style-wise, that's why I was looking at Roman depictions of Pegasus. I liked the coin of Roma and the chariot in one of your links, so I might look at that.

Romulus and Remus with the wolf was already planned. 

Perhaps other people would also prefer to ignore the Roman Pegasus and make a Greek Pegasos for the Athenian sails instead, let me know. I'm not one to ignore things because they don't fit our preconceptions, but maybe you guys prefer it for distinguishing purposes?  

More appropriate Roman symbols are always super welcome though!

Edited by Sundiata