===[TASK]=== 0 A.D Ships Update.

13 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

While this is a great idea in theory, the more we complexify models the more we restrict people from playing the game.

And no currently we can't make a low poly version of the public mod :/ Without hacks at least.

So if this isn't easy to realise in game settings I see there a few possibilities.

1. Have two different installer.

2. The game comes with no models. The models come as two different mods. The mods override each other.

3. A download option in the installer or game setup which override the exiting models.

Sorry for being a little bit off topic.

• Like 1

4. Modify the model render to switch models from high-poly to low-poly depending on camera settings. Not the most difficult thing to do code-wise, but low-poly models would take couple months from the artists. Dynamic mesh simplification techniques cant provide good results without causing performance issues I guess.

6 minutes ago, (-_-) said:

couple months

LoL

6 minutes ago, (-_-) said:

Dynamic mesh simplification techniques cant provide good results without causing performance issues I guess.

Since STK is going to steal our Privacy Policy, we might steal their LOD code :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Since STK is going to steal our Privacy Policy, we might steal their LOD code :)

I thought them stealing the Privacy Policy would make things even. STUN code was theirs. :P

</offtopicness>

15 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

can someone tell me why they would put a sail someplace that's very likely to be damaged when ramming another ship ? 

I think they rolled it up during engagements. But the angle of the mast could be a little steeper, so the sail would end up a little higher. The mast doesn't need to be as long either. I don't think the sail should extend beyond the prow ram of the ship.

Anyway, amazing work as usual, @Alexandermb 

Edited by Sundiata
  • Thanks 1

Wow, very nice work!

I think ships should generally be smaller (and wider) if we want them to function like they did in AoE 2 where they mainly shot arrows. Right now our ships are just like our siege towers (that have fallen over into the water) and shoot arrows based on garrisoned troops.

However, I think large ships could potentially be better, but that would require some gameplay changes. I would treat ships more like movable structures and give them build limits to prevent the AI (and players) from completely clogging the map. Another benefit of treating them like structures is that it allows for other types of gameplay such as boarding, etc.

I tested code awhile back to allow sunken ships to stay on the bottom and then slowly sink through the seabed, but it never looked right with a perfectly intact mast and sail halfway sticking out of the water. I'm hoping that these new designs give more flexibility for part separation / animation. That will also allow them to break up when ramming is implemented.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WhiteTreePaladin said:

Wow, very nice work!

I think ships should generally be smaller (and wider) if we want them to function like they did in AoE 2 where they mainly shot arrows. Right now our ships are just like our siege towers (that have fallen over into the water) and shoot arrows based on garrisoned troops.

However, I think large ships could potentially be better, but that would require some gameplay changes. I would treat ships more like movable structures and give them build limits to prevent the AI (and players) from completely clogging the map. Another benefit of treating them like structures is that it allows for other types of gameplay such as boarding, etc.

I tested code awhile back to allow sunken ships to stay on the bottom and then slowly sink through the seabed, but it never looked right with a perfectly intact mast and sail halfway sticking out of the water. I'm hoping that these new designs give more flexibility for part separation / animation. That will also allow them to break up when ramming is implemented.

Thanks!
For smaller ships it would mean remake all the ships again to match the AoE 2 size, but lets have an idea why ppl would play a copy of AoE? when they can play the legendary original one wich is constantly developed with mods, that is my tought with making 0 A.D based on AoE (and i'm not a multiplayer guy i always play against IA) and i see 0.A.D for better future project than AoE if its properly developed at high scale not giving limits to what can be added based on rigs or players (I can't play egypt map properly but i just don't play it :P). I see more 0 A.D. like an full scale RTS game like Total War battles (batallions included with better naval battles, walls climbing and siege towers boarding) rather than just an static i hit the air and thats -5 hp based on unit stats and ships shooting an arrow to a root point dealing 100 damage based on infantry rather than having a ship as a movable structure as you say but firing a cloud of arrows based on ranged units on deck.

For now they are the same of AoE but with better models, but is better have a future vision for ship boarding, ship ramming, burn ships, breakable zones (Yes they can, even if i don't upload blender files because they can get damaged (i have many copies) they can be remeshed since they are being exported as dae and are simple meshes with prop points) take a look of naval battles in Rise and Fall Civilizations at war, they use meshes proportional to units but not real size scale (some like the ones i've made they wouldn't carry 100 troops but at least 20 or 30 for make a nice visual battle.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WhiteTreePaladin said:

@Alexandermb

Can we backup those Blender files to the art repo when you are finished? Having the original blender files is really nice. (Collada loses some information I think.)

That's part of the commit process ;) when the ships will be in the blendfile that was last used to export it should be committed to the repository

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

That's part of the commit process ;) when the ships will be in the blendfile that was last used to export it should be committed to the repository

It wasn't part of the commit process in the past, but I guess that changed at some point. Glad to hear that it's officially part of the process now. :)