===[TASK]=== 0 A.D Ships Update.

8 hours ago, Alexandermb said:

@Sundiata can i have some help here with some cloth like texture un this area? would be very gratefull :banana:
its supposed to be like the reference

image.png

Reveal hidden contents

if it could be a rectangle texture wider would be better, i can add it as prop.

Maybe a texture 1024x128 if its possible

You could just make a high poly plane add a wind effect and use the cloth modifier :) I can probably dig an old blend file where I did that for flags.

Then apply the modifier and bake ao :) then just multiply it on whatever texture.

• Like 2

The first ship alone has 7k, 2nd ship alone 5.5k so it may be 11k tris the first ship and 9k the 2nd ship (maybe less). After all the ships are done and the texture is modified by @Lion.Kanzen or @wackyserious or any other and nothing more is needed to be adjusted i can go with decimate modifier and reduce some tris (if it doesn't affect the visual aspect of the ship).

The more tris came from the side of the ships, all those wood rectangles plus the inferior zone, a closed design ship like rome triremes would take only around 4k tris + 4k more with oars.

image.pngimage.png

The base of the mesh only could have around 600 or 1000 tris:
image.png

Blender tris:

Spoiler

image.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I wonder if the ships in game shouldn't just be smaller. 

Nah, I think naval maps need to be designed with more open water and less bottlenecks in the waterways. Ships need at least a few units on deck (deckhands/captain) so they don't look like ghost ships. If the ships are made smaller it would increase awkwardness.. Maps (and their layout) need to be spacious enough in general, which isn't always the case. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sundiata said:

Nah, I think naval maps need to be designed with more open water and less bottlenecks in the waterways. Ships need at least a few units on deck (deckhands/captain) so they don't look like ghost ships. If the ships are made smaller it would increase awkwardness.. Maps (and their layout) need to be spacious enough in general, which isn't always the case. 

Agree, better leave AoE Minimalist design behind if all ship are smaller wouldn't be any difference between bireme, trireme, quatrireme, quinquereme. and then we will start a new re-mesh project wich will leave some new ships like ptol quinquereme unused because it will need to be reduced-

In fact its better make ships at medium  - real size , and save the blender files because is better have a future vision with ships boarding, ramming and naval battles with units in deck than ghost ships.

• Like 2

On 11/24/2018 at 1:58 PM, stanislas69 said:

How much polygons are the current ships ? 12K is a lot, we are talking about the wonder polycount...

Why don't have every model twice? One with high poly/textures, and one with lower one. And in game settings you could choose between those two options. Would it be that much work to create two different one?

In my opinion 0 A.D. won't be final released the next few years. So if new models will be created they should be the highest quality as possible, because they should be good enough even in a five or more years.

@Alexandermb btw. nice work (y)

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, OptimusShepard said:

Why don't have every model twice? One with high poly/textures, and one with lower one. And in game settings you could choose between those two options. Would it be that much work to create two different one?

In my opinion 0 A.D. won't be final released the next few years. So if new models will be created they should be the highest quality as possible, because they should be good enough even in a five or more years.

@Alexandermb btw. nice work (y)

Keep the actual ones as low settings, and use this new ones as high settings.
Thanks!

i'm gonna rename the topic to Triremes, since i'm updating another factions and gonna do the same with rome ones since they should be the most beautiful ones.

Btw i may need some references for this ones:

• Persian Trireme.
  • Rome Trireme.
  • Cart Trireme.
  • Gaul Trireme.
  • Iber Trireme.

After looking the ships, ptol trireme only has 2 rows of oars.
Rome ships should include all designs since they have a lot of ships ? or they enter in the DE Timeframe?
After ending all triremes i go for biremes, gonna need the references for:

• Hellene Bireme.
  • Pers Bireme.
  • Cart Bireme.
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, OptimusShepard said:

While this is a great idea in theory, the more we complexify models the more we restrict people from playing the game.

And no currently we can't make a low poly version of the public mod :/ Without hacks at least.

1 hour ago, stanislas69 said:

While this is a great idea in theory, the more we complexify models the more we restrict people from playing the game.

My 9 years old laptop has a Intel GMA HD integrated graphics and I can play games on it like Anno 2070, StarCraft II, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II and Supreme Commander 2. A laptop lifespan is generally around 5 years in Europe and 10 years in Latin America. Even in Bolivia, one of the poorest country of Latin America, I rarely seen too old computers. In the administration of a small bolivian town, the oldest computers I seen are a few Pentium 4 all-in-one desktops that were already struggling to perform their basic task. I am pretty sure than the last users of Windows XP (less than 10% in the world) will probably switch to another OS in the next 5 years and even Windows 7 needs higher hardware requirements than 0 A.D currently.

I totally agree with the idea to keep the game as a very accessible one but I think there is room for a moderate graphical improvement.