struggling to play 1 v 1 against my son.

juniorlovegroove

Hello all,

I'm trying to host a game to play 1 v 1 against my son with zero success.  We can both join someone else's games in the lobby and other players can join games we host (independently) in the lobby; he can't join my private hosted games and I can't join his.

We're using the same IP, but according to another thread this shouldn't make a difference.

Any ideas?

cheers in advance,

jnr lg

When i host a game out of the lobby, I'm pressing "multi-player" then "host game", I then get the options of choosing game name and server (set to 20595 edit), the match set up screen then opens.  when my son tries to join, a multiplayer game outside the lobby he gets a dialogue box with my game name, server hostname or IP (that is set at 20595, thinking I might need to change that to my/our IP adress?) then server port 20595.

my son just tried changing the server hostname or IP to my addy, and getting the same message re 20595 port.

Edited by juniorlovegroove
missed something

@juniorlovegroove you choose your name and server port default 20595. 

Your son has 3 fields when joining:

1st is his name: it is clear what should he type here

2nd is server hostname or ip: here he has to type LOCAL IP adress of your computer which is something like 192.168.1.xx. On windows open cmd and type ipconfig, on linux i think it is ifconfig or ip. As you are in the same network, do not use public ip, which you probably get from some webpage telling you your ip.

3th is server port, this is actually your port you typed in which is on default 20595. (be sure you both have allowed comunication on this port, on lobby is used STUN to overcome firewall)

Have a nice day :)

Angen was faster to post his reply, so I'll just emphasize what might be the probable cause in my opinion. The name you are entering is not the game name, so this field might have to be unique for each participant. Since you mentioned before that both of you have the same IP address, I'd think you were talking about the public one, which is really not what we need here. You probably don't have to be afraid to say what exactly you are entering, so we can find out possible problems easier. If the values are actually correct, there might perhaps even be a firewall / router problem.

Edited by Boudica
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, juniorlovegroove said:

We've both tried using our actual IP address and still get the port 20595 message, so I think it will be worth opening the 20595 port.

I'm lubuntu, my son windows XP, what do we need to do?

Make sure that the game is in his firewall exceptions :)

If you just want to play against someone who is using the same internet connection, don't use the lobby, but click on multiplayer -> host, the other one clicks on multiplayer -> join and types the LAN IP address, something like 192.168.bla.bla, not the internet IP. Then most likely you don't need to forward.

For internet games, only the host needs to forward the port, not the client. STUN allows joining for some but not all remote players if the host failed to forward properly (so you can test if you forwarded correctly by hosting with disabled stun and seeing if anyone can join).

• Like 1