A need to Hold Ground.

Altrine

A need to Hold ground.   

7 members have voted

1. 1. If start losing troops in a battle.

• Will you start retreating?
    • Wait and Hold until some new troops come to start your enemy's to be pushed?
    • Stay there and get killed to gain more time to defend?
  2. 2. Will hold ground using resources to stop enemy expansion?

3. 3. Will you build walls in a game to defend your buildings?

4. 4. Which Civilization would you chose would be best to Hold ground with troops at a certain area?

• Ptolemies
    • Secleudis
    • Britons
    • Gauls
    • Romans
    • Persians
    • Mayurs
    • Kushties
    • Iberians

Question 1 is personally really general. It depends on my opinion a lot for the current situation: I never develop a default strategy about it. If I start losing many, anyway, I prefer retire for a while until I have enough troops to win the fight. Better to lose some in a retreat that all in a suicide attack.

Best civilization to defend a ground are surely ibers. I personally think that another good civilization is rome, that can hold well with a lot of different siege weapons. Anyway, another good civilization is Carth, with (as Feldfeld already said) heavy walls and archers units, that are deadly for defense (garrison fast, long range). These are the civs also that I use more in Jebel Barkal

Edited by Jofursloft
  • Like 1

Thanks @Jofursloft.

4 hours ago, Jofursloft said:

Question 1 is personally really general. It depends on my opinion a lot for the current situation: I never develop a default strategy about it. If I start losing many, anyway, I prefer retire for a while until I have enough troops to win the fight. Better to lose some in a retreat that all in a suicide attack

In my opinion I would use tactical retreat. Start retreating my units and back while using closed order in front and use ranged units to use kills while meele units get killed send 10 Cav on both sides and encircle them while the archers retreat more the enemy attacks  the Cav first while I bring more ranged (15) down 10 meele and a dozen more Cav for incirclement again. And use meele to hold ground closed order in front while separate ranged into left and right for more kills per 3 seconds. And bring in the seige with 20 units and march on 

Loses of this strategy For us :

Meele infantry : 20

Cavalry meele and ranged: 7

Ranged infantry : 5

Enemy loses :

Meele infantry :15

Ranged infantry : 30

Cav ranged and meele :5

Difference in pop after this battle :12+ for us. 

But this strategy needs speed to succeed or if hard just retreat enough to counter attack. 

• Like 1

@Altrine I like your organization and your strategies about the attacks. Anyway, my personal opinion is that you can't develop a strategy before the battle. In fact, in your strategy you don't consider many facts: the comformation of the territory, eventually buildings near, heroes, upgrades and eventual dancing units. I prefer to improvise the tactic everytime, not to develop one before

• Like 1

This strategy I only use in land maps like mainland and in neutral territory and not in allied or enemy territory because it would be effective in neutral territory and land maps. And I am not much a naval guy, and loses too much ships to destroy a handful of enemy ships. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Altrine said:

This strategy I only use in land maps like mainland and in neutral territory and not in allied or enemy territory because it would be effective in neutral territory and land maps. And I am not much a naval guy, and loses too much ships to destroy a handful of enemy ships. 

I have some doubts that all this organization can work well in a game, but I can fail. I propose you maybe one day to do a 1v1 so I can see better your strategy. Let me know when you can :) 

On 10/14/2018 at 4:12 PM, Jofursloft said:

Best civilization to defend a ground are surely ibers. I personally think that another good civilization is rome, that can hold well with a lot of different siege weapons. Anyway, another good civilization is Carth, with (as Feldfeld already said) heavy walls and archers units, that are deadly for defense (garrison fast, long range). These are the civs also that I use more in Jebel Barkal

Edited Sunday at 11:45 AM by Jofursloft

Mostly holding ground any Civ can do by building paradise walls and a few outpost can slow them down if enemy is without seige but Ibetian walls and towers are the best.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Vulnux said:

Mostly holding ground any Civ can do by building paradise walls and a few outpost can slow them down if enemy is without seige but Ibetian walls and towers are the best.

That might be true but you'll need some 4 outpost and 30 troop and 4 troops inside the outpost for these types of defense. 

51 minutes ago, Altrine said:

Clear sight in Naval battles won't be enough @Vulnux because there is a chance to win without sight in naval maps well Ptolemies are the best in naval battles due to their heavy battleship + lighthouse but you would need to garrison your ships for better attack and repair them regularly. 

Not so sure they are the best. The problem of ptolemies ships is that you need a lot of time to make enough catapults (and they cost really much) to garrison in heavy ships. A vic like britons or gauls is advantaged because it can make good ships even in P2 and they have to garrison only soldiers. So they have a faster mobility, they use less resources and when you destroy one of their ships they don't lose many soldiers (with ptolemies you lose precious catapults) 

@Jofursloft sometimes the situations might change mobility isn't enough catapult making would be easy with ptolemies in naval map due to their vision with lighthouse from p2 . So you'll get advantage to win in p2 if island jumping as you can do some. Motor Skills with medium war ship with some mercenary skirmishers in it and could control route between sea and could get some Merchandise and start trading in sea which would be latter easy from ambushed due to vision it could earn some wood and gold to make Catapult and load them and then offcource when your ready attack. But Britons I think the the second best in Island Jumping because of their Island base I think ( Dunno name)  they are dead useful in island jumping. For expansion. 

• Like 2