I'm pretty sure most people would drown. Have you ever swam with all your clothes on? We had to learn it during our swimming lessons, and man, I can tell you, swimming with clothes on is a good way to drown. Imagine trying to swim in armor, while panic-stricken...

The only thing that annoys me about units dying when a ship goes down, is if it goes down really close to the shore, where other units can just stand in the shallows without a problem... Seems a little unnecessary. But I assume it would be really difficult to code...

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Sundiata said:

I'm pretty sure most people would drown. Have you ever swam with all your clothes on? We had to learn it during our swimming lessons, and man, I can tell you, swimming with clothes on is a good way to drown. Imagine trying to swim in armor, while panic-stricken...

The only thing that annoys me about units dying when a ship goes down, is if it goes down really close to the shore, where other units can just stand in the shallows without a problem... Seems a little unnecessary. But I assume it would be really difficult to code...

I agree that what you wear or how much weight you have on yourself can effect swimming or water in general,especially the armour they wore.

I think the skirimishers and light infantry can pull it off especially the Britons and gauls because they start out wearing their traditional light/cloth armour. How about have it where we can use the light armour wearing classes to scout across the water ? Even if we don't have a swimming mechanic we can at least be able to walk in the water. I would love to dip my feet in those beautiful lakes/rivers,and oceans. lol Take it from a Norwegian girl from the rural.

Edited by Astrid
goofed
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...

First attempt at doing snow without filling up the entire map with actors which makes the game nearly freeze. Instead, this one is done using a shader. Suggestions welcomed. (this one turned out better than the heat haze shader)

Edited by Guest

If you guessed that absolutely nothing would happen to the snowfall. Then congratulations lol.

I had not gotten around to making the snowfall responsive to changes in camera zoom/orientation. So at times it can feel a bit disconnected.

I am by no means an expert on graphics, but I believe the solution would be to pass that info to the shader in a uniform. A noise value derived from the changes.

Edited by Guest

I can do seasons, but I cannot do art. Meaning that if winter variations were to somehow magically appear out of nowhere, I can make the game use those. Same goes for ambient sounds I guess. So if this were to be done fully, those would be left to the users/modders when the time comes.

That is just a plan though.

@(-_-) Have you tried to simulate wind with snow to make it look like a snow storm/blizzard? Maybe it is enough to, simply change the direction of the snow fall, increase the speed of the falling snow and reduce the number of snow particles. In addition, add some wind sound effects.

In any case, thanks for working on the feature. I already like what I see. I think it goes in the right direction.

Furthermore, I think the weather simulation should only be introduced to a few new maps at the beginning. Maybe one map with snow, one with sandstorms and one with heavy monsoon rainfall.

Speed, density, whatever should be set by the map author. And like I said, I can only make the new environmental system support ambient sounds, model variations and so on. I will not be doing art/sound. I have no clue in those fields.

(aside from thinking of ways to create a nice rain effect, I haven’t done much else. Exams got in the way of that.)

Edited by Guest

On 10/26/2018 at 12:51 PM, Sundiata said:

@Sundiata This works in my mod! So please come and play it. I've tested on some but would like to see about as many existing maps as possible. It really changes the gameplay (better in my opinion).

@asterix please let me know too if you like it!