Other strategy games not RTS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here are some features I want to see/help improve:

• Formations (formations give armor bonus, but require discipline to maintain, fighting in formation is important, weak points in formation can be created and exploited, such as an elephant charge followed up with an area focused arrow barrage)
  • Unit mechanics (weapon switching, charging, attack ground, stealth, block with shield, dodge)
  • City building

These things will make the game significantly more complex, but will open the way up for MOBA style, and skirmish style battles such as in Company  of Heroes etc, as well as city building. The complexity for the RTS side can be minimized by having good unit AI or some kind of autobuilders where you let the AI control certain details while you control the larger picture. It would make RTS more interesting to worry less about economic micro, and more about meta economic/military strategy and allocation.

• 6 months later...

I have been following the development of this game closely for a while, I like this city-building style of the early 2000s with a Mesoamerican theme. Alias the developer keeps the game in development on github for Windows and MacOs. The Windows version runs on Ubuntu smoothly using Wine.

https://github.com/Perspective-Games/Tlatoani_Releases/releases

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Grand Strategy games are extremely popular at the moment. On console you can find:

• Stellaris
  • Cities Skylines
  • Surviving Mars
  • Tropico 6

I hope that next gen Xbox and PlayStation will have proper mouse and keyboard support, that way PC gaming won't have so many advantages. I don't run Windows on my PC but I have console for games (I prefer having a separate system for games, just imagine having your PC cluttered with games and chat apps aggghhh lol)

Don't forget Spring RTS on PC which is free software.

Edited by jeffnz
forgot to mention Tropico

1 hour ago, LetswaveaBook said:

https://awbw.amarriner.com/

It is based on a turn based game called advance wars.It´s nice game-mode if you like strategically planning every move and the moral is not to play live. So you take your turn, leave the site and you come back to see a few hours or a day later what your opponent has done.

it was originally a gameboy advance game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...