How Do You Attack?

SGK7019

Hello,

I'm still getting to know the game like the new player I am, and I find myself struggling when it comes to combat. I never make the first move and become overwhelmed when attacked because I lack units most of the time. So, in an attempt to learn more about attacking and defending, I want to ask you people how you personally do it.

I'm not asking for a guide, like "do this, then that and that", of course. I just want to know what you do and how, things like; When? Do you prioritize enemy units or enemy buildings? Do you destroy or conquer structures? Which units do you depend upon in your attack? If you know, do you take the enemy's units into account when making your own? Does your army vary or do you just use one or two unit types? Are formations used?

I would love to know, and hopefully it will teach me as well. This isn't a questionnaire, so feel free to add information that I didn't ask about.

i atk when i have full pop and sieges or sieges and almost full pop (i play on max200), or when i got attacked and won while still having units.

i dont atk without sieges usually but a lot of players like to bully this way in early game

i think you are struggling cuz your enemy has more units

Edited by thankforpie
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, SGK7019 said:

So, in an attempt to learn more about attacking and defending, I want to ask you people how you personally do it.

this is my suggestion for you :)

1- At first try to learn mechanic of game , unit armors , different attacks  etc + economic of game, you can find details in wiki i guess

for example RAM has 50 pierce armor(99%) while it has 1 hack armor(10%) .... so it give you signal that never attack RAM with a unit with pierce attack (archer), but Hack attack is very useful against it (swordsman)

2- Keep in mind that you will learn more from your lost than your victory 

3- Try to watch replay of PRO players not just as a movie!! it is a class, analysis the replay and take notes and categorize them for three stage of game [Early game / Mid game / Late game]

for Early game:

specify in details the build orders 

check if he scouted or not ( so based on his scout he may change his strategy... you need to know ) , for example look at last game of borg vs FeldFeld in final ... borg scouted FeldFled and saw the amount of citizen worker FeldFled had then immediately RUSH and finished the game.. so many things depend on situation , you cannot apply this strategy all the time ..

if player start to rush in early game , specify exactly when? how? how many troops? blind rush or based on scout? write the like a film scenario 

Mid-game  

specify when they expand , when they build additional barracks ? how many farm they have ? did they change army composition ? if they expand how much is their population [ basically for each step you need to keep your eye on game time and population ]

if a player go for all-in rush in mid game then try to capture all details , number of army at the time of attack ? active farms? army composition ? upgrade any? normally upgrade army should happen for late game

Late game:

same idea as mid game but you need to keep your eye on number of barracks , army buildings like number of fortress, army composition , upgrade units , population and time

Remember early game is most important then mid-game and finally late game ...

4- write down your strategy, based on what you learned from replay... like a check list 

5- start to play and try to use the strategy you wrote it doesn't matter what happen in game you lose or not , it works or not just follow your plan... till end of game

6- this may be boring for you , but watch your replay and try to find your mistakes, and in next game try to avoid it (you can compare your play style , build order with pro player and identify your mistakes ....)

7- try it again , and keep playing till you become master of that specific strategy! :)

8- Dont forget to enjoy from your game 

In summary

- watch a pro replay , take a note and write down build order and

- play alot of game and use same strategy over and over

- watch your replay and detect your mistakes and try to prevent them... till you master that strategy

Do you prioritize enemy units or enemy buildings?

Yes , you need  for example using mele cavalry to counter catapult or rams ... stop focusing archers on ram ...etc ,

Do you destroy or conquer structures?

Destroy is better because keeping a structure outside of your territory is not easy :) 

If you know, do you take the enemy's units into account when making your own?

capture enemy unit, i dont think it is developed yet

Which units do you depend upon in your attack?

currently all citizen soldiers are on meta, based on what i saw in pro players they dont use champions and normally rely on citizen soldiers .. + mech

Ram /catapult , slinger , skirmisher so popular 

Does your army vary or do you just use one or two unit types?

current meta , unfortunately players not use champions and rely on citizen soldiers , which i dont like ... so for example ram + slinger + skirimisher you can see them all the game nothing else .... which is really bad 

Are formations used?

Yes

I will mostly suggest the following points:

1. Try to start training men when you have 30 pop and send them to gather resources and build sentry or defense towers for protection and use them to defend. 

2. Build 3+ barracks for fast production of men while being attacked. 

3. Make enough defense to hold ground near your cc for defense 

4. Get max pop within 25 minutes (at the least) 

5. If playing against inexperienced players pick Britons or Gauls and make some 15-30 men and rush and finish the game. 

6. Use your enemy's Civ and advantage and disadvantage  to use against them. 

If you lose a defense send some 10 men and all your women to build new cc. 

And always have 1:3 ratio for melle and ranger men. And if using drive have some 10 elite soldiers and build some sentry or defense or outpost for look out for enemy attack to prepare paradise walls to slow them and make then into a disorder formation before killing them. 

What I do: Don't attack till you have siege (ideally elephants or rams) then attack with your army acting as support for your siege. The AI LOOOOOVES their towers, so knock down about 3 towers for a nice safe opening for your army, then run your siege in at attack the CC.  Even if your attack fails, taking out their CC is devastating.

Also, always prioritize your targets. Infantry on infantry/cav. Ranged cav on infantry. Melee cav on archers. your army should win a fight easily.  If you have elephants in your seige, don't hesitate to pull them back and have them help your army.

On 10/10/2018 at 2:47 PM, Altrine said:

1. Try to start training men when you have 30 pop and send them to gather resources and build sentry or defense towers for protection and use them to defend. 

Better to keep in mind you can get a rush: make something like 4 men when you reach 20 pop for a good defense

2. Build 3+ barracks for fast production of men while being attacked. 

This only when you are P3, before you need just 1-2 barracks

4. Get max pop within 25 minutes (at the least) 

Maybe exercise to reach 300 pop in 18 minutes: it is a good archievement. Always keep in mind that a full women boom is not so good in 1v1 games

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2018 at 11:57 PM, Jofursloft said:

Maybe exercise to reach 300 pop in 18 minutes: it is a good archievement. Always keep in mind that a full women boom is not so good in 1v1 games

Yeah it might not be good in 1v1 but in multiplayers it might not do bad as some teams do like one guy collects resources and gives to th  other who is millitaralized to fight at all cost he could only do food by 40-45 women but not wood and mines so the others booms with 100:100 men women to collect resources and provide to another or many more. 

• Like 1

Better to keep in mind you can get a rush: make something like 4 men when you reach 20 pop for a good defense

Other than this we can Keith build a outpost in center for a lookout or on both sides which need 2 men which could spare you more time and in meantime while could do more women like 20 on wood if you lose 200 good and a hundred wood on 2 cavalry to hunt mostly try to get some elephantin tropical and Walrus in snowy.

This only when you are P3, before you need just 1-2 barracks

It would be better to build 3 early because you could get a chance to win in p2 itself and you would have a steady supply of food and wood for enough meele for a hold ground and get a thousand stone and make 50 ranged and take on your enemy or just wait until seige is available. 

On 10/9/2018 at 2:15 AM, Loki1950 said:

All of your attacks a predicated on on a booming economy/resources with out which you can not train the units you need to do the job there are a few video tutorials on quick build orders they do vary depending on which civ you playing though.

It would be better to have most soldiers to work if idle .

Best advice is start your OAD experience with playing with RL friends or who you are close with who understand you,and have patience. Even if you do bad you and your friends can get a laugh out of it,and you will learn,and get better. I am fortunate to have a husband that knows game mechanics,and was able to teach me a lot whether about units,formations,attacks etc. When I started the first thing he told me was to study,and read each unit,and their stats,and get back to him after lol I was like why ? Just teach me lol I learned that reading a bit before you play helps a lot because every class has a purpose,and learning the weaknesses and strengths is very impourtant.

Make fun out of learning,and laugh :D 

2 hours ago, Altrine said:

It would be better to build 3 early because you could get a chance to win in p2 itself and you would have a steady supply of food and wood for enough meele for a hold ground and get a thousand stone and make 50 ranged and take on your enemy or just wait until seige is available. 

I assure you that I play a lot of games with Feldfeld and in rush games (that took sometimes also 20+ minutes still in P2) we both had no more than 1-2 barracks. I tried with 3 but I can't balance so well the eco (you finish your resources too fast and when you notice you are done).

• Like 1