Are you scouting frequently?

Genava55

Are you scouting frequently?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use scout units to observe the opponent?

• Yes, very often
    • Yes, occasionally
    • No, never or almost never
  2. 2. When do you do it?

• Early game
    • Late game
    • All the time
    • Never
  3. 3. For which reason are you doing it?

• Strategical (for example to predict early rush, booming or turtling strategies)
    • Tactical (for example unit and building positions)
    • Both
    • None
  4. 4. Do you think the faction choose by the opponent give you a lot of informations about his strategy?

• Yes
    • No

I dont scout enemy base just it’s frontline border. The fact that you can know your opponents’ Civ early is enough and use the scouts to gather. Spamming units to produce  is more relevant in the very beginning. When some cavalry units are idle then I have to scout/raid, but rarely do it nor play 1v1 more often in which scouting is a bit necessary.

its more important to scout your own border for possible resources and future build up.

• Like 1

The fact that you can see an opponent's territory expand with each phase (as long as they have been scouted at least once previously) removes an incentive to scout throughout the game. It could be more interesting if an opponent's territory boundaries didn't have that visibility.

• Like 3

My first thought that most of the players didn't use regularly scouting seems to be wrong.

My second thought that the players that are using scout units do it for tactical reason seems to be partially wrong, they do it for strategy too.

My third thought that the players are using it mainly in early game seems to be true.

My fourth thought that the players have a lot of information by knowing the faction choose by the opponent seems to be true.

Very interesting.

What are you looking for when you are scouting the opponent's base? I imagine it is mainly the Civic Center position and which phase he is in. But are you looking for the number of women, the number of houses etc. ?

• Like 1

I usually scout early game my enemy's position and also the he resources in the map for late game. And enemy's Civ tell most as Britons or Gauls are mostly used for Rushing. And Civs  like Roman's and Persians are more deadly in later game. So they give you a basic touch of the Civ's capablity but the player's strategy is unknown. You can use your enemy's territory to scout the border buildings and if any walls to break. So scouting is basically very important in early, middle and late game. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Altrine said:

yep your correct but we can sense their Civ a bit according to their movement on expanding and stuff or just scout them after finishing gathering Chicken with your cav. 

On britons for example you can scout with the dog. In team games the thing I usually do is to take a fast unit (like a skirmisher or a runner archer) to explore the territory in circle near me to see if I have extra berries fast (if you do when your cav finishes the chicken is too late to mantain a good food production). Also, I use this unit to see who is next to me

Has there ever been a cavalry scouting unit? Perhaps food-only, and with either no attack, low attack, a speed bonus, camoflauge (and possibly a unit to spot/reveal camoflauged units), or some other characteristic that makes it work as a scout, but not as an attacker. Something to give players extra chances to use their time and attention to gain an incremental edge. 

• Like 1

But in before 100 B. C they never had much scouting units but just troops who scout but for messages they used fast runners who could run for long distances to travel messages or for scouts mostly and only lately had there been cavalry scout and they would carry daggers to attack wild animals. 

• 2 weeks later...