Urgently make replays to be scrolled to a given minute, just like a video

amadeus

I can't think of an RTS which has this. For good reason, replays aren't stored as videos. That would be just a huge waste. Replays are just files with details on what happened listed in order (atleast in 0AD). It's your computer (or you if you got that kind of time) that has to calculate the game step-by-step following those instructions. You can't just fast forward without doing the earlier steps. It would be like trying to sit on your couch before you reached home (I couldn't think of a better analogy).

I don't think its worthwhile to spend a whole of time trying to re-implement the replay system especially at this stage. Neither the To-Do list nor the amount of trac tickets are getting smaller anyway (slowly getting smaller, but the point is clear).

1 hour ago, stanislas69 said:

Hey,

If you want this fast you'll have to code it yourself. We are all doing this on our free time and unfortunately for you this is not a top priority for us.

Next time though, you might want to ask more nicely. 

What programming language is this game coded into ????

9 minutes ago, amadeus said:

The replay mechanism is vital for the survival of this game. It is what made warcraft 3 and DOTA so popular.

Dear @amadeus , yes its true and not only the replay feature... there are other parts also needs to be added or to improve :) thats why this game is still in Alpha (not even Beta) phase :) and there is huge difference between this game and other commercial games you see in the market .... its free open source and handle by community , they are not hired to provide this game , they are students/ freelnacers / working for different companies / maybe totally different jobs... they have families , personal stuff... and they are contribute to this game as much as they can from their free time, 

The point that i really like about this project is: everyone welcome here to help and contribute :) (guys correct me if im wrong here) you also if you think there is part that you can help that would be great .. and sure every one thank u

• Like 2

18 hours ago, amadeus said:

The replay mechanism is vital for the survival of this game. It is what made warcraft 3 and DOTA so popular.

The newcomers are noobs and get owned.. They get frustrated and abandon the game.

If the replay mechanism were to exist,newcomers would learn for their games.

No. developers are.

14 minutes ago, amadeus said:

Do you mean developers are lazy and are doing anything to get out of a honest's day work ?

How dare those devs stop spending all their free time on a feature I requested.

Free time isn’t infinite. It should be spent on more important things.

1 hour ago, (-_-) said:

How dare those devs stop spending all their free time on a feature I requested.

Free time isn’t infinite. It should be spent on more important things.

I was just joking. Hope it motivates some of the devs to deliver more content.

This could be a really great and awesome game, if only more dev work were to be put into it.

13 hours ago, amadeus said:

Do you mean developers are lazy and are doing anything to get out of a honest's day work ?

The developers are volunteers that help code the game on their own time, they are not lazy, they just have families and jobs that are more important then getting a small niche feature out a few weeks early.

You say that like they get paid to program this game, they are volunteers and are not obligated to program 0 A.D.

Edited by Imperator Ferrum Princeps I

12 hours ago, amadeus said:

I was just joking. Hope it motivates some of the devs to deliver more content.

This could be a really great and awesome game, if only more dev work were to be put into it.

No you were not joking :D You just changed your mind after you noticed you were rude. Be nice,smile,and enjoy :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

People don't seem to realize the generosity of these devs giving us a "free" game that is almost as playable as AOE, and not too far from that game as far as content and depth.   Are you entitled to everything in life ? Why isn't giving us a "free game" that is playable enough ? Just be patient,and enjoy the journey of the development of this beautiful gem,and yes it will be a gem because it is unique,detailed,and enjoyable. 

Patience is a virtue

Edited by Astrid
  • Like 3

take to consider Alexandermb the last alpha made a lot of art stuff, animations to be accurated he is living under a country with a dictatorship (Venezuela) and a humanitarian crisis.

fortunately  he is working and have some  studies(Mechatronics) he can be a  "kind" privileged people.

is easy say later; was a "joke".

• Like 1