Grumpy Gurken's recenst ramblings

Gurken Khan

Moin!

I've been playing a bit (x hundred games) and I thought I'd just give a bit of feedback and make some suggestions. I'm aware the game is in alpha state and one shouldn't expect a perfect experience. There's a lot I like about the game ('Thanks!' to everyone that contributed), but that probably won't take up too much of this thread. :P

For starters, I'd like to suggest to not display numbers after the decimal point (for missing resources to buy a tech). The resources I have don't show fractions, so just do whatever rounding you use and show the integer; otherwise I think it can get quite ridiculous... ^^

1475258274_0AD-1960000000000000061.png.ad9550149971d3b6f25c94bbc5ae9f7f.png

My biggest complaint is about units getting stuck in in the sticks! It's just annoying the heck out of me. They can find their way in there, but there's no friggin' way the can get outta there? WTH?!?

If they're just stuck between some captured houses I'll just destroy those, still stupid but no prob. But trees? Really? They can move into some woods but not get out of there? For an illustration here's my whole cav being stuck (phase 1) while I get attacked from multiple enemies:

0AD-fffeveryonesis.png.8049c080176dea4cf3cfbb263b6d9246.png

'Luckily' the game crashed (yet again), so I didn't have to rage quit... :/

Certain maps seem more prone to this, like 'dense forest' and 'Belgian uplands'. I really wish this could be changed.

And another quick one: I think the Seleucids' towers' door looks unhinged.

0AD-seltowdr.png.409e46ae67f52f69281e95d9e1679407.png

(The gap on the left side is wider at the bottom than at the top.)

Spoiler

What stupid troops leave the door open anyway? ;)

Thanks for your attention. :)

Edited by Gurken Khan
Changed back the thread title.
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2018 at 11:04 AM, Gurken Khan said:

For starters, I'd like to suggest to not display numbers after the decimal point (for missing resources to buy a tech).

Probably not a bad idea - at least some precision should be set.

My biggest complaint is about units getting stuck in in the sticks!

Trees are an issue. Will probably take quite a bit of effort to fix that. (The pathfinder is being worked on.) The only "solution" for now is to chose maps that either don't have as many trees, or have trees in dense clumps so that the pathfinder doesn't get confused. (Should greatly help with performance too.)

The door is fine, but the door opening has slanted walls, so it looks like it is a result of texture stretching. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not because the base of the tower also has slanted walls, but it does look a bit odd.

• Like 1

Luckily' the game crashed (yet again), so I didn't have to rage quit... :/

Certain maps seem more prone to this, like 'dense forest' and 'Belgian uplands'. I really wish this could be changed.

as whitetreepaladin said, that take time and very kind of expertise because is pathfinder.

On 9/29/2018 at 12:04 PM, Gurken Khan said:

(The gap on the left side is wider at the bottom than at the top.)

Hide contents

What stupid troops leave the door open anyway? ;)

haha woops. Yeah that's mostly texture stretching like WhiteTreePaladin pointed out, but it ought to be closed shouldnt it?

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 4:33 PM, WhiteTreePaladin said:

The door is fine, but the door opening has slanted walls, so it looks like it is a result of texture stretching. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not because the base of the tower also has slanted walls, but it does look a bit odd.

It looks like the ~columns are protruding, but on the right side it pretty much seems all parallel, while on the left it doesn't; I couldn't really 'read' it. ;)

1 hour ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

as whitetreepaladin said, that take time and very kind of expertise because is pathfinder.

Yeah, I imagine it's not trivial; but a bad pathfinder can really screw up things in a lot of ways...

0AD-ywomencantwalkonwater.thumb.png.70dfb9565b5087e0f88754d392b1d643.png

These women can't walk on the water and thus not reach the island...

0AD-mtfu.png.ff76ddf75fe46c6d4e632acf16acc71a.png

While these women can't climb sufficiently to build on the mountain. Though, if I caught it correctly somewhere, the map maker could mark these terrains inaccessible?

0AD-fffemale.png.2a783767cd36fb1a6eeda5a5b89d6378.png

While I appreciate the thought of not standing around on my construction site, in this case it turned into an ~endless loop, because the woman wanted to get on the other side and kept walking on and off... I'd much rather she just walk across and get it over with than blocking the construction forever!

0AD-ffhorsie.png.294b9b4165d757fa31d452393995b6f3.png

Incidentally, that same game some allied horsie decided to just stand in that very gate and keep it open for anyone who wanted to pass... (I wish they wouldn't. But I don't know if you can teach them the significance of closed gates. ;) )

To add another topic to my ramblings: Why is 200 the maximum of units I can 'box select'? (Is that what you call it?) With default settings the pop cap can go up to 380, so I don't think an army of 210 or 250 units is too far fetched. This limit of 200 seems arbitrary to me.

• Like 1

I agree, I get elephant, ram or catapult stuck in trees everyday lul. already learned me lesson and moving them far from trees.

i sometimes get a bug when I click to build a building with 10 unit or more (but mb it happens with less unit as well) and these women or citizen-soldiers just move from one edge of construction to another, i dont notice that and I end with 15 units moving around doing nothing. i was wondering if everyone has this issue cause it slows me a lot

@WhiteTreePaladin Thanks for the explanation.

13 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

thats why we have our better programmers fixing and rewriting the pathfinder.

That's good to hear! :)

Maybe I can do some testing...

What's the connection between the pathfinder and the AI?

And I thought it was maybe an AI holiday yesterday because their units weren't working. But I assume it was because the bases weren't defined (from main and interesting log):

ERROR: JavaScript error: simulation/ai/petra/baseManager.js line 1013 TypeError: base is undefined m.BaseManager.prototype.update@simulation/ai/petra/baseManager.js:1013:1 m.HQ.prototype.update@simulation/ai/petra/headquarters.js:2761:16 m.PetraBot.prototype.OnUpdate@simulation/ai/petra/_petrabot.js:119:3 m.BaseAI.prototype.HandleMessage@simulation/ai/common-api/baseAI.js:64:2

WARNING: PlayerID 5 | Petra: Raid 0 has an inaccessible target foundation|structures/maur_civil_centre indices 2 3

Don't know if this from the mainlog has any relevance:

'art/terrains/terrains.xml' does not exist. Using previous properties.

Loading RMS 'maps/random/latium.js'

Any error logs I missed?

I went through the motions to finish the game anyway:

2018-10-05_0001.ZIP

Sooo. I looked at the replay, or rather replays, as I have three of that game (I guess because of different saves, I have five saves though). None of them shows what actually happened, and none of them shows the complete game. (It's not the first time I don't have a replay of my last game.)

2018-10-05_replays.ZIP

2018-10-05_saves.zip

Can anyone riddle me any of this?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

Sooo. I looked at the replay, or rather replays, as I have three of that game (I guess because of different saves, I have five saves though). None of them shows what actually happened, and none of them shows the complete game. (It's not the first time I don't have a replay of my last game.)

2018-10-05_replays.ZIP

2018-10-05_saves.zip

Can anyone riddle me any of this?

i dont have a replay when 0ad client crashes for no reason and they say i end host cuz im losing jajaja

No more comments regarding 'rubbish' or missing replays? :/

The game just crashed on me (yet again), but the crashlog didn't update...

Spoiler

And since it was one of those 'hunger games' (i.e. scarce wood) and the last save was too old I don't feel like finishing it. :angry:

Anyhow. What I really, really very, very much dislike is when my units don't do what I tell them.

0AD-ydontyoufdoasitellyou.thumb.png.7fb5831777038773c7c2c052eca20353.png

I told my units like ~half an hour earlier they should go to the position marked with the circle; I don't know why those idiots have to dillydally around the enemy's CC to get killed. :angry:

Those within the circle made it, but as one can clearly see it's not like the other units follow closely.

Spoiler

I had to make a visit there because that enemy had captured the 2/2 relics parked conveniently at his doorstep.

I wished - and hereby propose - that a direct (move) order takes precedence over anything else. I don't want my healers to stop when I change their stance to 'standground' (the only stance I find useful for them), and I sure as hell don't want any units to turn around (and get killed) when I told them to go to a specific position.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

I wished - and hereby propose - that a direct (move) order takes precedence over anything else. I don't want my healers to stop when I change their stance to 'standground' (the only stance I find useful for them), and I sure as hell don't want any units to turn around (and get killed) when I told them to go to a specific position.

I also wonder about this... I sometimes execute my units for their insubordination. Simply can't allow such insolence...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/7/2018 at 2:13 AM, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

I wonder if increasing the footprint of trees is a good alternative for pathfinding.  Map design already has far too few chokepoints in my opinion.  For some light units, it might be interesting to allow them to just ignore the obstructions instead. 

I don't know. If it's a clear 'who can go in also can get out' maybe?

But I think the last thing this game needs is more clunkynesss and units having problems finding their route. And if some units can ignore it I fear it may lead to splitting up troops. (Already there are maps where certain units can't take the same route as the others, for example Elephant-Man on 'Special Snowflake', or whatever that map's called correctly.)

btw my last pic above is from 'Lower Nubia', a map with plenty of chokepoints; so much so that I think it's a bit of a pain in the averywhere to play it. I believe to remember more passages between the different parts of the map, but judging by the paths my units chose I guess not; but maybe that was some stupid trees blocking them...

On 10/7/2018 at 4:56 AM, Sundiata said:

I also wonder about this... I sometimes execute my units for their insubordination. Simply can't allow such insolence...

I feel ya! ;)

I'm restraining myself there, probably because despite my frequent genocides here I'm such a pacifist. lol

And those units cost resources. Aand all units are the same kind of stupid. Aaand it would be an extra hassle to get the replacement(s) in place. Aaaand this suicidal stupidity is the main reason why I overwhelmingly play on turtle speed; preventing most or even all of that stupid adds greatly to my enjoyment.

Expecting the units to react at least as smart as I would is not putting the bar too high, I think. :P

Just a few quick suggestions/wishes, if I may:

- When saving a game, include the play speed in the save;

- mark houses just like every other building when there's someone inside;

- make it possible to ~fold-out unit lists in buildings, so the health of the individual units is visible (or maybe add a 'release fully healed units' button?);

- re-add the perk info to the hero icon on mouse-over;

- bring back the number of units working on a building.

Spoiler

582132700_0AD-wip1.png.1a4e38a717f1aa54c0935662ce1c615e.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bigtiger said:

The wall set is a pain to get right.

I think walls in-game are a pain, too. I often find it hard to tell with the terrain if I really close the passage. Or at some angles the wall will 'red-out', showing me that I can't build it and I have no clue what's wrong with that angle; or starting point, or whatever's the friggin problem. It's also 'great' when I didn't actually block the passage and then try to find some solution that's somehow connecting to the existing wall and on valid terrain. Or the 'fun times' when some part of the wall has been shot out by an enemy and I try to build something connecting, sometimes having to try to re-do the same exact angling and stretching of that fathertrucker.

Them walls can really make me grumpy, so I usually save and - if not already at it - slow down to 'turtle' before I build one. Not exactly what I'd call 'comfortable'. :brickwall:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

I think walls in-game are a pain, too. I often find it hard to tell with the terrain if I really close the passage. Or at some angles the wall will 'red-out', showing me that I can't build it and I have no clue what's wrong with that angle; or starting point, or whatever's the friggin problem. It's also 'great' when I didn't actually block the passage and then try to find some solution that's somehow connecting to the existing wall and on valid terrain. Or the 'fun times' when some part of the wall has been shot out by an enemy and I try to build something connecting, sometimes having to try to re-do the same exact angling and stretching of that fathertrucker.

Them walls can really make me grumpy, so I usually save and - if not already at it - slow down to 'turtle' before I build one. Not exactly what I'd call 'comfortable'. :brickwall:

Known issue(but it  doesn't) have ticket , that's why its called alpha. we have an trac site to report issues, you can open or search, this served to report issues and task (open by team)

The original.

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/786

@Lion.Kanzen Thanks for your answer. I'm aware it's an alpha.

I just took the 'feedback' part of this sub-forum's title as an invitation to give, well, my feedback. :)

Without trying to blame anyone for anything or making demands.

And if this thread gets some views and maybe someone remembers some ~issue when it's convenient...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

@Lion.Kanzen Thanks for your answer. I'm aware it's an alpha.

I just took the 'feedback' part of this sub-forum's title as an invitation to give, well, my feedback. :)

Without trying to blame anyone for anything or making demands.

And if this thread gets some views and maybe someone remembers some ~issue when it's convenient...

Constructive feedback is always appreciated. Hope you'll enjoy the game nonetheless :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@stanislas69 Thanks. And yes, I'm getting 'some' hours out of it. :)

And my wall rant was totally on the constructive side, wasn't it? ;)

On 11/6/2018 at 12:22 PM, Servo said:

I wonder big structures occupy huge virtual area/space  that when you click on open spots it hits the structure, ships too. 

Ships are ridiculously humongous anyway.

And I frequently get annoyed by obstruction boxes (I believe that's what they're called). Like when I want my unit(s) to go near a (large) building, and then I have to try different perspectives/zooms to try to hit the floor with my cursor/click somewhere close; ofc things get worse when there's trees there.

So, on a constructive note, I wished there was mouse action modifier that would force the click to go to the ground and ignore structures etc.

@wowgetoffyourcellphone Hm. Don't think I had much of that. What I'm encountering quite frequently though is a few units thinking my orders weren't meant for them, although they were part of my drag selection or a ctlr group; healers not going where they were told are a classic, but I also had other units staying back for whatever reason...

And I guess you meant that you don't have citizen-soldiers in DE? (Sorry, haven't checked it out (yet).) In a regular (vanilla) game I don't feel I'm in a position 'to dump the citizen-soldier thing'...