0 A.D. - The Grand Vision

wowgetoffyourcellphone

10 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

They are indeed... The rise of the Mayans begins just after the collapse of Mycenaean Greece, but predates the advent of the archaic period, at 1000 BC, and continues into the classical and Hellenistic periods... Monumental architectures starts around 500BC in the mid-Pre Classic period, the classic period starts around 250 AD and continues to 900 AD. But the last independent Maya city didn't fall until 1697! They have a loooong history...

@Wesley You also have to keep in mind that all the civilizations currently in vanilla are interconnected. They might not all have faced each other in battle, but at least they all sort of knew about each other and traded either directly, or indirectly. Romans and Chinese for example knew about each other, if only vaguely. 

I agree and I understand I'm just saying that if people want to debate what's in or out its easily fixed with a menu tweak that calls to several white lists.  

• Like 1

Adding the Inca may not work; they ran from 1438 to 1533 but that's really only one dynasty. Going back to look at the culture and its precursors your looking at the Tiwanaku (c. 300–1100 AD) But founded ~100 AD. Very localised but that's true for early Rome and Athens. Then there's the Wari culture to the north. 500 - 1000 AD. A bit out of the time frame. Some coastal trade with mesoamerica. The earlier Moche 100 to 700 AD and before that the Salinar culture  200 BC-200 AD.

To the north in Ecuador you have the Quitu culture which covers the full time frame. 500 BC to 500 AD. Again the same as Inca with less stone more mud brick and wood. This civilisation extended down into the Amazon basin. Deep jungle.  

This chain of cultures moves north to south and up into the mountains but are essentially a common civilisation with rising technology from 200 BC to 1000 AD. Not much change from 100 AD to 900 AD. Bigger buildings and better roads. The generic Peruvian & Andean name would work. or Quitu & Wari.  
terraced farms could mean stone rather than food or wood in farm building. Irrigation as a food upgrade. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Columbian_Ecuador

Edited by Wesley

I'd rather they fix performance issues and implement formations/battalions before they start throwing in a thousand factions they can't and shouldn't wast time trying to balance when they've still so many missing features. This isn't a grand vision, it's just moar civs, and I'm a little disappointed to see such an uninspired suggestion coming from you wow, you're much more creative than this.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, hurleyef said:

I'd rather they fix performance issues and implement formations/battalions before they start throwing in a thousand factions they can't and shouldn't wast time trying to balance when they've still so many missing features. This isn't a grand vision, it's just moar civs, and I'm a little disappointed to see such an uninspired suggestion coming from you wow, you're much more creative than this.

not all are programmers , or artist other are simply linguist or historian experts.

• Like 3

On 19/2/2019 at 3:32, Wesley said:

Agregar el inca puede no funcionar; corrieron desde 1438 hasta 1533, pero esa es realmente una sola dinastía. Volviendo a mirar la cultura y sus precursores, mire el Tiwanaku (c. 300–1100 dC), pero fundó ~ 100 dC. Muy localizada pero eso es cierto para principios de Roma y Atenas. Luego está la cultura Wari al norte. 500 - 1000 dC Un poco fuera del marco de tiempo. Algún comercio costero con mesoamérica. La anterior Moche 100 a 700 dC y antes de eso la cultura salinar 200 aC-200 dC.

Al norte, en Ecuador, se encuentra la cultura Quitu que abarca todo el marco de tiempo. 500 aC a 500 dC De nuevo lo mismo que los incas con menos piedra, más ladrillos de barro y madera. Esta civilización se extendió hasta la cuenca del Amazonas. Jungla profunda  

Esta cadena de culturas se mueve de norte a sur y hacia las montañas, pero es esencialmente una civilización común con tecnología en aumento de 200 aC a 1000 dC. No hay mucho cambio de 100 dC a 900 dC Edificios más grandes y mejores caminos. El nombre genérico peruano y andino funcionaría. o Quitu y Wari.  
granjas en terrazas podrían significar piedra en lugar de comida o madera en la construcción de granjas. El riego como mejora de alimentos. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Columbian_Ecuador

Pues en tan poco tiempo lograron crear el imperio más poderoso de america obvio después del español(ni fueron sometidos tan rápido como los demás), perdón por escribir esto en español, mi teléfono pone todo en español :/

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Trinketos said:

Pues en tan poco tiempo lograron crear el imperio más poderoso de america obvio después del español(ni fueron sometidos tan rápido como los demás), perdón por escribir esto en español, mi teléfono pone todo en español :/

Spanish OK I have google translate working and it did not mess it up. 
"Because in so little time they managed to create the most powerful empire of America obvious after Spanish (nor were they submitted as fast as the others), sorry for writing this in Spanish, my phone puts everything in Spanish: /"

P.S. There is a new paper out on how the Inca got those perfect fit stone work. Machu Picchu, etc. They may have made a highly acidic grout that dissolved the rock in the joint and re precipitated it as the sheen below the joint. The blocks would have melted together like two ice blocks with a little salt between them. The mix was acidic mine water, organic matter and iron pyrites (fools gold). A basic sulphuric acid (vitriol) mix. Verification experiments are I believe planned. It would have been very dangerous to work with. 

http://www.academia.edu/37497925/On_the_reddish_glittery_mud_the_Inca_used_for_perfecting_their_stone_masonry

Edited by Wesley
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2019 at 1:14 PM, hurleyef said:

What"s the problem with formations and battalions? Can't we just make a closely packed multi-man mesh with only the arms and legs animated on the front, sides and back. Have it spawn a few units when it dies? That makes it a blender job not hard programming. A 4 x 4 formation would have a little under 16 times the polygons but counts as only one object in pathing. Its large unit number lag that's the problem isn't it? We could strip out a lot of shared shoulder to shoulder polygons. 
Another way to do it is a partly invisible "land boat". I already suggested that somewhere. When a boat is loaded some units are displayed on deck in some cases but they use a stand animation. A land boat would just be a dust cloud under foot with walking animation. Add parade ground, plaza or marshalling area as a build. This spawns big loaded battalions at the suitable cost.     

On 9/11/2018 at 8:46 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

0 A.D. Epochs

I think the idea has quite a bit of promise. My suggestion, though, is to make the older civilizations be able to develop into the new ones, instead of making bronze age civs unintuitively balanced with e.g. medieval ones. For instance, the Mycenaeans could develop into either of the classical Greek civilizations, and those in turn could develop into the Byzantine empire.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2019 at 6:24 AM, Andrettin said:

I think the idea has quite a bit of promise. My suggestion, though, is to make the older civilizations be able to develop into the new ones, instead of making bronze age civs unintuitively balanced with e.g. medieval ones. For instance, the Mycenaeans could develop into either of the classical Greek civilizations, and those in turn could develop into the Byzantine empire.

We already have some of that with egypt where the main game has Ptolemy  Egypt and one of the mods, Aristeia has Earlier Egyptian. Technologically they are not that different. 

I have an idea. It my be possible to have iron age as a technology that some civilisations start with, most in the main games but earlier civilisations, mostly the mods, lack. It provides a +1 to penetration.  Costing metal and wood to research. 
Another technology metallurgy is also available at the market that allows stone age edge cultures to step up to copper and bronze. Stonehenge was built by people with no metals. All the current civilisations start with it pre researched except the Zapotec. It gives a +1 to attack speed. Zapatec attack speed is already low. 

On 2/18/2019 at 3:03 PM, (-_-) said:

The people who wrote the code for rmgen did what seemed most sensible for them at the time. With time, issues were found and fixed. A couple years down the road, it’s not unlikely who ever picks up from where you left off does the same thing. Kinda feel like taking one step forward only to take two steps backward.

Disagree, I can read Spahbod on the forums complaining that he couldn't read his own code anymore, despiting never having seen Spahbod online.

• 8 months later...