Battalion test mode

Silier

This mod contains experimental gameplay features which might not be perfect yet. Also I am aware of some bugs (but if you find any, please report them). 

NEVER MIX (ENABLE) THIS MOD WITH ANOTHER MODS AND  PATCHES WHICH ARE NOT VITAL FOR GAME. I WILL NOT SOLVE CONFLICTS FROM THEM.

github repository https://github.com/SlavomirSlovenkai/0ad-gameplay-mode

For more changes reade here: https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/24764-battalion-test-mode/&do=findComment&comment=367259

Features:

Phasing is cost free and automatic.

Phase requirements

• Town phase
    • 5x House
    • 1x Market
    • 1x Farmstead
    • 25x Citizen
  • City phase
    • 15x House
    • 1x Blacksmith
    • 1x Market
    • 1x Temple
    • 40x Citizen

General

You need 1 Farmstead for every 4 Fields to build.

Fields has to be build at minimum distance 80 from Civ centre.

Soldiers can not gather and can build only military/defense buildings.

Cavalry can still hunt.

New unit Hunter available in village phase from civic centre. It is melee unit with nice slaughter attack and weak melee, so you can hunt animals even you do not have access to cavalry.

New support unit Male. Can build special and military/defense buildings, also storehouse and corral.

Only Female can build House, Farmstead, Field, Temple, Market.

Melee infantry is trained in barracks, ranged infantry in range barracks, cavalry in stables.

Stances got rework. 

Technologies

Every soldier is locked by technology (or more) 

For example:

• Spears -> Spearman
  • Spears -> Pikes -> Pikeman
  • Spears -> Hoplite (tech - as they have special formation) -> Hoplite (unit)
  • Swords -> Swordman
  • Javelin -> Javelin throwers
  • Archery -> Archers
  • Cavalry + Swords -> Sword riders (tech) -> Cavalry Swordsman
  • Champions + Swords -> Champion swordsman (tech) -> Champion Swordsman ( unit)
  • Cavalry + Champions -> Champion Cavalry + Swords -> Champion Cavalry Swordsman (unit)

Every unit starts with no armour and no shields (some civilisations have shields from start).

There are 2 available unit upgrades in the row ( every unit class has its own upgrades ). Each one adds some equipment to the unit, but they needs to be unlocked. For example:

• Swords + Shields -> Swordsman upgrade (tech - giving shields to swordsmen)

Champions are trained fully equipped, but that equipment has to researched.

Melee weapons, infantry melee units upgrades and melee infantry champions are researched in barracks.

Ranged weapons, infantry ranged units upgrades and ranged infantry champions are researched in range barracks.

All kinds of cavalry, their upgrades and champions are researched in stables.

Cavalry and champion cavalry itself are researched in corrals.

Champions are researched in civic centre.

Siege weapons are researched and build in siege workshop.

Training is done by garrisoning units into barracks/range/stables. While they are inside, they get experiences and rank up. Units with lower or no rank fights worse ( exception are champions and heroes). You can train them by fighting but they will probably die fast (especially when your enemy has better trained troops than you).

As this takes some time, to train unit from nothing to basic rank takes 30 seconds, to advanced next 30 seconds (60 seconds), to elite next 30 seconds (1 minute and 30 seconds), to fully trained in total 2 minutes. You should care about your troops more and you will not want to throw them away and let them fall in battle for nothing. 

Damage types and armour:

• Fire -> Special units ( add-on damage, small compared to others, but no unit has strong protection against fire )
  • Pierce -> Spear, Pike
  • Hack -> Sword
  • Crush -> Slinger, Club, Mace
  • Missile -> Archer, Javelin

Range units have minimal range when they can use their weapons, if they cannot they use weak melee attack.

Range unit according to spread: Slinger, -> Javelin -> Archer

Melee units have MissChance, which is the most 0.5. It means that unit has 50% chance to miss target with attack.

Spread  and MissChance gets lower as unit levels through experiences.

Champions  and Heroes now have chance to deal critical damage, what means they can find weak spot and kill enemy with one single attack.

Shields and armour

Protection is divided between armour itself and shield (based on shield type and armour type unit is wearing).

Bigger shield means higher protection than smaller one ( also shield from metal/iron means better protection than shield from wood - roman shields are exception )

Also Chain armour gives more protection than some basic kind of armour.

Wearing helmets means extra protection.

Attacking unit from back (melee or missile) removes protection given by shield.

Rams are 100% missile proof, but weak against all kinds of melee attacks, also their attack rate is reduced.

Capturing happens by garrisoning units into enemy building ( aka they brake doors and go in ).

To deal with them defender has to garrison troops with better capture rate as enemy does. If attacker and defender are equals in capturing strength and defender owns more than 0.5 of the building  or defender is stronger and owns whole building, troops of attacker slowly loose health.

Exception are walls ( and maybe later another buildings ), where garrisoned units are visible and they fight against each other. Attacker has to use siege towers to ungarrison units on the wall.

Rams and Siege towers requires minimum number of units to be garrisoned to be able to move.

Rams requires minimum number of units to be garrisoned to be able to attack,

When Gate  is under 50% of health it is force opened  even if was locked before and remains broken ( unable to close ) until its health is above 80%.

Friendly fire is enabled. So you really want units upgrades to not miss their targets.

Ammunition ranged units have certain count of arrows/stones/javelins to use. They will get it back slowly. 

Some champion units (e. g. persian immortals) can switch to bows,  throw javelins or spears.

Every range unit has ability to disable range attack.

Running on command draining energy.

Energy is required for running and melee attacks. When melee unit has no energy fights worse ( melee units have some chance to miss ). 

Melee cavalry can Charge with double click on enemy unit. This drains energy as running. 

Charging is done to the position enemy is staying, so when he moves,  target place is fixed.

While units are charging they deal mount damage (no armour can save you from this damage) to every enemy unit they pass around and they deal extra damage when they reach target position.

When they charge  into formation  turned towards them, they get anti-charge damage.

Hero selection on the start of the game and auto spawn after that. No resurrection later.

Formations

They have attack and armour bonuses to overcome units fighting in no formation.

Control

Selecting one unit from formation means selecting whole formation.

You can ROTATE one unit  or whole formation with Shift + R and right click to position you want them to face towards.

--------

( Still working on changes )

Edited by Angen
  • Like 12

I hope you can include some Civs from other mods like Byzantine, Pricipitate Rome, Anglo-Saxons, Carolinians, Norse and Zapotecs as well even if they don’t belong to the time frame. These new Civs with nice new units and buildings brings new excitement to SP games.

DE gameplay is very nice and Mil AD has really challenging AI enemies (they are really brutal in hardest). 

Some mechanics I would like to have in a mod (personal opinion):

1. Units need to be in proper position to execute their fighting abilities. For example a range unit can’t fire projectiles only if they established their ground (minimum range) to execute task. Same as melee, they can’t inflict damage if the enemy is on his back or around more than180 Degree’s away from his execution stance. 

2. Capture mechanics. DE is allowing it on women and hope it could expand to fighters. 

3. Siege weapons need to be powerful, hard to destroy, manned(operators need to be killed only to immobilize), capturable and very expensive to acquire). 

4. Any mechanics that could reduce the spam ability of units (for MP) should be done to make military aspects more tactical and strategic. 

5. Relics is really nice gameplay but they should be transportable and can be garrisoned. 

For arts I think we need more structures and variations for houses, markets, temples and others. More eye candy on these structures to make them not looking dull. Best wonders so far is the Byzantine and I guess the Persian with more eye candy. Carolingans have nice temple and wonder but no eye candy like shrubs and trees. Same as Anglo-Saxons, nice wonder but no eye candy. 

Walls on other Civs imo should be improved that could equal or close to the beauty of the Romans. Can’t walls have random shrub eye candy too?

Just Dreaming...

14 hours ago, Servo said:

Walls on other Civs imo should be improved that could equal or close to the beauty of the Romans.

IMHO, wall models should all be adjusted to be standard lengths, widths, etc. Same for the palisade walls, which should be brought up to the lengths of the stone wall pieces. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, niektb said:

Funny though since that mod doesn't do any kind of AI modification :P 

One more examples of a bug that became a feature :P

21 hours ago, Angen said:

Every soldier is locked by technology (or more) // exception are slingers, because they use just rocks

You missed a nice pun there :P

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The mod is veeery buggy right now but it has A LOT of potential. I will try to help you develop it by reviving my modding team: https://discord.gg/HDDHqM3

You even got the units to be able to run by double right clicking! Not even delenda est has that!

Edited by Imperator Ferrum Princeps I

@Imperator Ferrum Princeps I, yeah, formations are not working great right now :D another thing I can think is cavalry charge and wall fights.

If you  (or anyone} find anything else what makes you feel it is buggy please let me know. Because I definitely need to get another perspective.

And yeah, I could probably messed up range unit synchronisation. I am going to split loose and reload animations in the future.

And please be aware :D enable JUST THIS ONE MODE. 

Its really heavily moded. I overwrote almost everything. 

Edited by Angen

How do you garrison units? The traditional way does not work but the AI seems to be able to garrison units.

@Angen

Edit: oh, right clicking works when you hold down control, but is wonky, is there a way to add more straightforward garrisoning?

EDIT2: Some enemy/neutral structures are impossible to garrison your soldiers in, thus being impossible to capture (eg: houses, docks, defense towers, etc)

Edited by Imperator Ferrum Princeps I
  • Thanks 1

Changes:

Fix order qeuing: Rotation moved to Shift + R

Fixed attack synchronisation and missing building animation for soldiers

Fixed briton dog and tooltip error

Hovering over building which selected unit can be garrisoned in, shows garrisoning as first option.

All defense towers, fortresses, temples, civ centres, colonies and wonders should be capturable by soldiers now. (may some another buildings but I am not sure which)

@Imperator Ferrum Princeps I As I looked into current code, garrisoning is bound with action key = ctrl, so I do not know what you meant it does not work traditional way.

1 hour ago, Angen said:

Changes:

Fix order qeuing: Rotation moved to Shift + R

Fixed attack synchronisation and missing building animation for soldiers

Fixed briton dog and tooltip error

Hovering over building which selected unit can be garrisoned in, shows garrisoning as first option.

All defense towers, fortresses, temples, civ centres, colonies and wonders should be capturable by soldiers now. (may some another buildings but I am not sure which)

@Imperator Ferrum Princeps I As I looked into current code, garrisoning is bound with action key = ctrl, so I do not know what you meant it does not work traditional way.

Thanks for your hard work on your mod If you would like I can also help you.