Some new player questions

Bones

I have read the manual both in game and online, played some games vs AI and here are some things still unclear to me:

1. What is the purpose of the loot stat? Do you get the amount specified when you kill an enemy unit? What about when you delete a unit / building of your own, do you get loot? What if you capture an enemy building?
  2. If a building gets destroyed do garrison units die or do they come out like when it gets captured by the enemy?
  3. In spearman description it says 3x against cavalry, 3x what? attack? armor? both?
  4. Does a basic swordsman counter a basic spearman in 1v1? i say basic because different civs have the same units just with different names
  5. How does the bribing mechanic work, it has to be researched from Civic Center (Espionage), then what?
  6. I know in the welcome screen it says formations are still work in progress, do they give any bonuses now? mousing over them gives no info
  7. History of Britons and Gauls says they gather food faster but their women and men have 0.8 and 0.6 food gather rate which is the same as every other civ, how much is the bonus and is it displayed somewhere?
  8. When infantry gets +1 hack and pierce armor from that technology from Blacksmith, the stats of any infantry unit do not change on right click info screen, is that a bug? they only change on rank up
  9. Is there a way to choose what resource you get from traders? if not, do they choose randomly or do they trade the resource you have less of?
  10. Roman Temple of Vesta is theĀ  exact same as a normal Temple?
  11. Roman armor bonus in Roman territory does is also count ally or even enemy Roman territory? Unit armor stats on right click info screen do not change when in Roman territory, is the armor bonus of 10% so little that it gets rounded down?

and finally more of a suggestion than a question, i have the impression that some civ bonuses are not being mentioned anywhere in game besides the history tab, for example the Athenian metal mining bonus gets mentioned on a tooltip when you mouse over the Age upgrade on the Civic Center but the Roman territory civ bonus is not visible on right click screen info of a unit, or the Macedonian bonus / debonus, or the Iberian price reduction of cavalry units etc

and besides some civ bonuses only being mentioned in history tab, shouldn't unit bonuses / debonuses in general be visible in a unit's right click info screen? like blacksmith upgrades, how can i see what upgrades a unit has other than going on Blacksmith and seeing what upgrades are not available anymore?

thanks

EDIT:

12.What does the small dot before a player's name mean? has he marked me as buddy? or have i marked him?

13.If i mark someone as Buddy can i join his games as spectator if he only allows Buddies or does he have to have marked me as Buddy for this to happen?

14.How can i join a game that has already started, and i was not initially in, as a player (assuming a player has left)? if i click to join an orange lobby it asks me to join as observer not as a player

15.Some units / building say they fire more arrows per unit garrisoned, the interval stays the same? for example if the basic is 1 arrow per 2 seconds and i garrison 10 units does it go 11 arrows per 2 seconds? and do all units count? even women?

Edited by Bones

1. When you kill an enemy unit/building you get the loot specified + what ever resource the unit was carrying. You would not get this loot when you delete an own unit/building.

2. All garrisoned units would be ejected when the building is damaged beyond a certain level. (something above 90%, not sure)

3. Attack bonus.

4. There arent definite hardcounters in 0AD(units are balanced using damage types and armor types), But yeah, a swordsmen beats a spearman.

5. Go to the diplomacy menu, the ring icon on the top right. There would be a coin icon for each player.

6. IIRC, formation bonuses are disabled for now, as some arent implemented. And the few implemented ones give an unfair advantage.

7. Maybe it is referring to the special building available for celtics, which have a farming boost aura. Name of the building is "rotary mill".

(everything written on the history page is not implemented yet).

8. The right-click menu shows the information from the templates. Therefore, the unmodified base values. Bug or feature? I'm not sure.

9. You can select it on the trade menu. The coin icon next to the ring on the topright.

10. Gives +50% garrison loyalty for nearby buildings (harder to capture when garrisoned). You can see these type of bonuses when hovering over the icon.

11. AFAIK, not implemented yet.

12. You marked him as a buddy, double-click on name marks as buddy too.

13. He needs to mark you as a buddy.

==EDIT==

14. Green games are the ones not started yet. Red and orange are ongoing games. Orange being games where someplayer is offline. You cant join an ongoing game as a player.

15. Only soldiers count. And yes, the interval stays the same, but the number of arrows increase per unit garrisoned up to the projectile limit.

Edited by Guest
14 and 15

1. You only get loot when an enemy unit / structure is destroyed.

2. When a structure has been weakened to a certain threshold, all units inside will automatically be ungarrisoned. More units inside of a building make it more difficult to capture, so if you want to capture a strong building (like a fortress), it is best to weaken the structure to force the automatic ungarrisoning. You can then attempt to capture it. Holding the CTRL key down while right clicking to attack will change the cursor to the attack cursor and let you choose to attack and weaken it first.

3. I believe the bonus (3x, etc.) only applies to attack.

4. There may be basic units that appear to be shared, but each civilisation's citizen soldiers can differ in more then just name and appearance. Not sure about the 1v1.

5. The Espionage tech is somewhat unintuitive the first time you use it. It is based on enemy traders. If the enemy has no traders, then the technology cannot be used. You pay an amount and get the vision range of a random enemy trader for a limited time.

6. I think formations are position based only at the current time. I don't think they provide any additional bonus.

7. The rate in the actual template files are what the game uses. I'm not sure if those values in the history section are reading those values directly or if they were copied manually and haven't been updated. The Gauls do have a unique structure that increases farm gather rate.

8. That info is probably read directly from the unit's template file. Each rank has a different template. The modifiers from technologies are not reflected in the unit's base stats. Perhaps that should be updated to reflect that though.

9. Yes. Select a market and in the center panel where the icon portrait is you will see several small buttons at the bottom. Click the rightmost one which has an icon with three ancient coins. You will see a dialog where you can set the current rates for each resource.

10. It might be, I'm not sure. There are some variants of structures for scenario design purposes.

11. I'm guessing your territory only, but would need to verify. Like the blacksmith upgrades, I'm guessing that all stat modifiers won't be shown because those values are read directly from the units base stats.

[Edit]

Looks like you got some answers already

[Edit 2]

12. - 14. I'm not familiar with the lobby.

15. Which units are allowed to garrison varies per building. For example, the Fortress allows Support, Infantry, Cavalry, Siege, while the Civil Center only allows Support, Infantry, Cavalry. I'm not sure which classes are used to generate arrow fire or exactly how the rates are affected.

@stanislas69 do you know about the lobby questions or garrison fire rates?

Edited by WhiteTreePaladin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bones said:

14.How can i join a game that has already started, and i was not initially in, as a player (assuming a player has left)? if i click to join an orange lobby it asks me to join as observer not as a player ļ»æļ»æ

You can't unless you impersonate. The mods allowing that are against the terms of use and I think we should flip a bit to make impersonation impossible.

(I guess smiley answered the questions though, didn't read)

5 hours ago, Bones said:

is not visible on right click screen info of a unitļ»æ

Have always had this same issue, right clicking for more info on buildings/units/upgrades etc. only appears to work some of time, would say that there is roughly a 50/50 chance that the information is not displayed regardless of what civilization or info I am attempting to view.

10 hours ago, Palaiologos said:

Have always had this same issue, right clicking for more info on buildings/units/upgrades etc. only appears to work some of time, would say that there is roughly a 50/50 chance that the information is not displayed regardless of what civilization or info I am attempting to view.

It doesnt work if you are an observers in a game. So maybe thats the bug you are referring to.

12 hours ago, Palaiologos said:

If you haven't enough ressources for the upgrade, building etc. you can't get informations on right click. I have this allready discussed with @elexis. It's hard and much work to fix so maybe it won't be fixed.

elexis we had a in game discussion directly after release of a23. If you haven't enough ressourses e.g for baskets, or some other upgrades and buildings you can't get the information when you are right click on it. You said this is because they are disabled. And you also said that this has to be fixed in c++ and is to much work. I had said I will write a ticket and forget it. Now I have #5269

Don't know if there are more problems. But I think becuase of this it worked only 50% of the time?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Ponury said:

I am totally beginner, some faction is better for someone who does not play well?

Celtic factions seems to popular with most online players. Especially, the Britons.

Edited by Guest

21 hours ago, (-_-) said:

observers in a game

No, I can recall it happening in single player mode as well as in-game during online multi.

Ā 

19 hours ago, OptimusShepard said:

If you haven't enough resources for the upgrade, building etc. you can't get informations on right clicļ»æk

Ā 

17 hours ago, elexis said:

Tooltips being incomplete is a thing.

Then this, I suppose would confirm the rough/randomly selected ballpark figure of "50/50" working/not working.

Ā 

17 hours ago, OptimusShepard said:

But I think becuase of this it worked only 50% of the time?

Most likely, but idk. Shouldn't the players know of this? If, in fact true that you need the required resource amount to right-click for view more info?