RANDOM MAP: Dune - Desert

nani

Hi again !

New map.  Was quite easy to make but nonetheless fun.

Tha map is supposed to be the Sahara desert so there is not much to it apart from the sand and dunes.  Players will have to trade and fight to defend their trades lines while  using  the strategically  height of the dunes to defend and attack.

Best setting are gameplay with teams, very high starting resources and map size large, very large or even for better experience: gigant :nod:.

screenshot0012.thumb.png.a838516026dc27eab09530b44094b52d.png

screenshot0014.thumb.png.5a58d3a473ba61ba23f15c760d587bd2.png

screenshot0015.thumb.png.99322ac6bf175fb508837a09617eac0c.png

The procedural generation of the dunes is taken partly from the pdf  "Dunes and Sandwaves with Terragen 2 A tutorial by Laurent Avenel (Wiwine)".

Feel free to  point out some possible flaws or improvements  that could be made  and try it out !

Thx @(-_-) for the perlin code.

DOWNLOAD MAP:

nani_maps_v0.10.0.pyromod

Edited by nani
Added stuff. Map updated
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, nani said:

The procedural generation of the dunes 

@elexis Perhaps this can be integrated into rmgen?

Regarding the map itself;

Due to the lack of resources, players may struggle mid-game. why not add treasures? Randomly on the whole map, or near the initial CC.

Adding eyecandy decorations would make the map look more alive. Since this is Sahara, some egyptian statues or skeletons would fit perfectly.

Need to actually generate to give more feedback.:P

Edited by Guest
Edit instead of double post

Sand dune maps are so cool but so impractical from a gameplay standpoint. :(

That said I'm not a huge fan of the orange sand, and it's a bit boring both from a texture standpoint and in terms of terrain. I think there should be random open/lowland areas that aren't covered in dunes. Maybe even oases. That would make it more interesting and also create an opportunity to add trees and things to the map to make it less resource poor.

1 hour ago, coworotel said:

It would be cool to have some random sandstorms

This too, although that's really easy to do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, (-_-) said:

why not add treasures? 

Would it be reasonable to find random treasures in a desert?

2 hours ago, (-_-) said:

, some egyptian statues or skeletons would fit perfectly.

Maybe place the treasures near these ones like if it were loot.

33 minutes ago, aeonios said:

This too, although that's really easy to do.

How would you do the sandstorms?

Edited by nani
typo

20 minutes ago, nani said:

Would it be reasonable to find random treasures in a desert?

Sure, right next to the skeletons of the people who left them there. Random treasures are a weak way to balance a map though. You can't expect random treasures to supply the tens of thousands of wood that each player needs in order to compete reasonably.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, nani said:
Spoiler

Hi again !

New map.  Was quite easy to make but nonetheless fun.

Tha map is supposed to be the Sahara desert so there is not much to it apart from the sand and dunes.  Players will have to trade and fight to defend their trades lines while  using  the strategically  height of the dunes to defend and attack.

Best setting are gameplay with teams, very high starting resources and map size large, very large or even for better experience: gigant :nod:.

screenshot0012.thumb.png.a838516026dc27eab09530b44094b52d.png

screenshot0014.thumb.png.5a58d3a473ba61ba23f15c760d587bd2.png

screenshot0015.thumb.png.99322ac6bf175fb508837a09617eac0c.png

The procedural generation of the dunes is taken partly from the pdf  "Dunes and Sandwaves with Terragen 2 A tutorial by Laurent Avenel (Wiwine)".

Feel free to  point out some possible flaws or improvements  that could be made  and try it out !

Thx @(-_-) for the perlin code.

*****DOWNLOAD FILE******* (includes this map and the previous one I made [Fert]  )

nani_maps.pyromod

Neat! I think from a gameplay perspective, the scale of the dunes is outsized from terrain features in most other maps in the game. I think if the dunes scale was reduced by about 40% you'd have something super cool here. Put a randomly seeded oasis in the middle surrounded by dunes or something and you got a stew goin. I like what you did with the ambient colors to make the dunes that orange color. Perhaps have a few variations between a set of few different realistic colors to make the map look slightly different each time. Also, too bad the game doesn't have SSAO. Would look so much better on a map like this.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

A DunePainter is something that was missing on Elephantine and Jebel Barkal. To fix the resource problem and increase aesthetics, could have half of the map dunes, the other half something else. Finding a geographic location that the map represents can inspire further content.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I haven't really looked into how @nani generated his dunes. But I'm guessing he used Perlin Noise to some extent.

While I cannot confirm how a pure perlin noise approach would look in 0AD, the following is generated using just perlin noise. This would be relatively inexpensive performance wise as well.

1782416433_Screenshot-2018-7-15TerrainGenerationDemo.png.9cff9e9eb11e799c061229c4bd48003f.png

2 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Also, too bad the game doesn't have SSAO. Would look so much better on a map like this.

Exactly. Ambient oclusion would fix the plain shadows in the dunes (as you can see, the sadows hide all the terrain geometry detail and leave  a solid  crude orangish color) and would accentuate the smalls dunes.

24 minutes ago, (-_-) said:

I haven't really looked into how @nani generated his dunes. But I'm guessing he used Perlin Noise to some extent.

While I cannot confirm how a pure perlin noise approach would look in 0AD, the following is generated using just perlin noise. This would be relatively inexpensive performance wise as well.

1782416433_Screenshot-2018-7-15TerrainGenerationDemo.png.9cff9e9eb11e799c061229c4bd48003f.png

My gen is done with the base function dune(x,xm,dune or dome) function found in the pdf mentioned before.  (xm: crest position)

The perlin noise is used to displace the dunes and their hieght.

I made 3 layers of dune generation, each one with samller dunes.

These layers then are averaged depending on some weights so it looks nice (I think the 3rd layer i made wasn't really necessary)

Maps minor updates:

Fert - King of the hill: added lateral  paths that connect each player without passing  through the middle  of the map and corrected fish and trees population density problem (no more lag).

Dune - Deset map: added  eyecandy and fauna (camels and red foxes).

• 2 weeks later...

@naniI included these two maps in my balancing-mod. I hope it is still ok for you, they are really great maps. And in one version i changed the setting that way, that players need to heavily trade, as your first intention was. And in some of the new maps a new gameplay is implemented, f.e. with no unit gathering, but buildings give resources; or Soldier cannot work anymore, some maps have builder that can build camps with the capability of producing legions, etc. .Or some maps offer some noob buffering so 2vs1 is possible or a game between different skilled players. 

https://0ad.mod.io/balancing-mod/

Edited by gaius
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...