Pre-Colonial Mod General Ideas and Gameplay

Trinketos

Americas Ancient Empires Mod DD v 2.0(Or some better name xD)

Gameplay:

It is very similar to 0 A.D., with some changes listed here:

1. A new resource water.                                              
  2. Civilizations have different ranges for their units
  3. There is no cavalry or stable.                                  
  4. Each culture has its own animals.                         
  5. The boats are classified in this way: Canoe, Median Canoe, Large Canoe.

Current Civilization are:

I decided to remake everything, there no added civilizations( I don't like how was the civilizations except models and textures so i will redo all the ones I already had :( )

Well here is the final Planed Civilizations(whit names and some incomplite general information, need investigation)

i like to show this as a table but i don't find an option for this

Note: School of Nobles and School of Common People/Plebeians? are available for the mexicas,tlaxcalans and toltecs also unique militar and economic tech respectively and the chinampa are available to the nahuas civilizations

• Mexicas(Main Bonus: 25% in trade profits and They gather food for 5% faster,Team Bonus: TODO,Unique Buildings: Skull wall defence aura?,Cultural Bonus: They can have a greater influence on the villages / communities that are under their control(more benefice)).
  • Tlaxcalans(Main Bonus:Militar Buildings 15% more strongers in every phase starting in city phase,Team Bonus:TODO,Unique Buildings:Mountain Fortress,Cultural Bonus:TODO)
  • Toltecs(Main Bonus:Gather rate stone is 15% faster is added 15% Gather rate in every phase starting in the villager phase ,Team Bonus: You ally can train your basic soliders from embassy ,Unique Buildings:Toltec Embassy(your ally can build),Cultural Bonus: TODO)
  • Incas(Main Bonus:The Tambo generate metal and the buildings only cost stone, but the units cost  5% more metal ,Team Bonus:TODO,Unique Buildings:Tambo,Unshu,Pukara,Cultural Bonus:TODO)
  • Mayas form Tikal(Main Bonus:They have 15% more cultural influence,Team Bonus:TODO,Unique Buildings:Observatory,Cultural Bonus:TODO)
  • Mayans Kaqchikels(Main Bonus:They buildings cost -25% of stone,Team Bonus:TODO,Unique Buildings:TODO,Cultural Bonus:TODO)
  • Pipilians(Main Bonus:Her soldiers are 15% more weak but get 15% of attack,Team Bonus:TODO,Unique Buildings: TODO,Cultural Bonus: TODO)
  • Tupis(Main Bonus: All buildings cost wood,Team Bonus:TODO,Unique Buildings: Warhut,Cultural Bonus: TODO)
  • Hopis(Main Bonus: Some of its buildings have  double functions,Team Bonus: TODO, Unique Buildings: Pueblo,Cultural Bonus:TODO)
  • Tarahumaras(Main Bonus: All units are 15% faster(Who needs those dirty horses?),Team Bonus: TODO,Unique Buildings: Trading Post?,Cultural Bonus: TODO)
  • Auracanians aka Mapuches(Main Bonus: Adaptable civilization, has better defence,Team Bonus: TODO,Unique Buildings: TODO,Cultural Bonus: TODO)

Villagers/Communities

A neutral village you can capture the villager to get soldiers, resources and techs

the resource depends of the villager, i dont complite the idea but heres the avaliable villagers

• Zapotecs Villager
  • Caribeans Villager
  • Nabajo Villager
  • Mixtecs Villager
  • Huastecs Villager
  • Chichimecans Villager
  • Muiscans Villager
  • Moches Villager
  • Apaches Villager
  • I will add more

Cultures:

Not info for now.

Maps:

Here is my idea of the posible maps.

Sonora Desert,Western Sierra Madre,Eastern Sierra Madre, Southern Sierra Madre,Chihuahua Desert,Paint Desert,Texas,West Ocean(Veracruz Coast),Anahuac,Yucatan Peninsula,Chiapan Jungle(Old name of Chiapas),Coast of Oxaca,Cuaxtemalan(again other old name this time from Guatemala),Orinoco,Andes Mountains,Atacama,Auracana,Patagonia,Pampas,Amazon Jungle,Antillas,Easter Island,Llanos

Hiden Civilizations:

They are unlocked by doing certain actions during a game which unlocks a button that allows you to become one of the civilizations that are available based on what you have done to unlock them(i dont make a spoiler :v)

Soon I will make the technological trees of the main civilizations and  the villages.

Note 1: I hate writing in English >:(
Note 2:If someone wants to help improve this design document feel free to post your suggestions, i realy needed xd

Edited by Trinketos
DD v 2.0
  • Like 8

I like your mod idea very much.

4 hours ago, Trinketos said:

Amazonian Rain Forest:  A map with a lots of Wood and a big river.

Since you consider an Amazon map and a big number of factions, I would suggest to consider representing some of the Amazonian peoples (that would be not only nice but also new to RTS games), such as the Marajoara and Tupis. Despite there being around 5 million people living there when the Portuguese arrived these nations are largely unknown by most people - and there is a very prevalent myth that the Amazon forest was a pristine uninhabited place. This couldn't be farther from the truth. In fact, the very forest according to recent findings seems to be largely "man-made". Some of these evidence like the large geoglyphs were only found recently due to recent deforestation of Amazon for large scale agriculture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_rainforest#Human_activity

Based on archaeological evidence from an excavation at Caverna da Pedra Pintada, human inhabitants first settled in the Amazon region at least 11,200 years ago.[18] Subsequent development led to late-prehistoric settlements along the periphery of the forest by AD 1250, which induced alterations in the forest cover.[19]

220px-Fazenda_Colorada.jpg

Geoglyphs on deforested land in the Amazon rainforest, Acre.

For a long time, it was thought that the Amazon rainforest was only ever sparsely populated, as it was impossible to sustain a large population through agriculture given the poor soil. Archeologist Betty Meggers was a prominent proponent of this idea, as described in her book Amazonia: Man and Culture in a Counterfeit Paradise. She claimed that a population density of 0.2 inhabitants per square kilometre (0.52/sq mi) is the maximum that can be sustained in the rainforest through hunting, with agriculture needed to host a larger population.[20] However, recent anthropological findings have suggested that the region was actually densely populated. Some 5 million people may have lived in the Amazon region in AD 1500, divided between dense coastal settlements, such as that at Marajó, and inland dwellers.[21] By 1900 the population had fallen to 1 million and by the early 1980s it was less than 200,000.[21]

The first European to travel the length of the Amazon River was Francisco de Orellana in 1542.[22] The BBC's Unnatural Histories presents evidence that Orellana, rather than exaggerating his claims as previously thought, was correct in his observations that a complex civilization was flourishing along the Amazon in the 1540s. It is believed that the civilization was later devastated by the spread of diseases from Europe, such as smallpox.[23]

Since the 1970s, numerous geoglyphs have been discovered on deforested land dating between AD 1–1250, furthering claims about Pre-Columbian civilizations.[24][25] Ondemar Dias is accredited with first discovering the geoglyphs in 1977 and Alceu Ranzi with furthering their discovery after flying over Acre.[23][26]The BBC's Unnatural Histories presented evidence that the Amazon rainforest, rather than being a pristine wilderness, has been shaped by man for at least 11,000 years through practices such as forest gardening and terra preta.[23] Terra preta is found over large areas in the Amazon forest; and is now widely accepted as a product of indigenous soil management. The development of this fertile soil allowed agriculture and silviculture in the previously hostile environment; meaning that large portions of the Amazon rainforest are probably the result of centuries of human management, rather than naturally occurring as has previously been supposed.[27] In the region of the Xingu tribe, remains of some of these large settlements in the middle of the Amazon forest were found in 2003 by Michael Heckenberger and colleagues of the University of Florida. Among those were evidence of roads, bridges and large plazas.[28]

The Tupi people inhabited almost all of Brazil's coast when the Portuguese first arrived there. In 1500, their population was estimated at 1 million people, nearly equal to the population of Portugal at the time.

Of course this is just a suggestion, but it would be nice for historical reasons and techniques such as "forest gardening" could be interesting gameplay inovations. :)

PS: I offer my help with reference material, testing of the mod and whatever else my skills and time permit.

PS2: I just saw that you mentioned the Tupis among the civs in some comment in another post, so my suggestion is not even that novel.

Edited by coworotel
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think the double mention of Toltecs is a typo, and @Trinketos meant Tupi?

Also *Puebloans (from New Mexico, Arizona, Texas and Colorado) , and not Pueblans (from the Free and Sovereign State of Puebla, Mexico)

One other possible suggestion could be to call the mod "Nuevo Mundo", instead of "Pre-Colonial Mod"? 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Sundiata said:

I think the double mention of Toltecs is a typo, and @Trinketos meant Tupi?

Also *Puebloans (from New Mexico, Arizona, Texas and Colorado) , and not Pueblans (from the Free and Sovereign State of Puebla, Mexico)

One other possible suggestion could be to call the mod "Nuevo Mundo", instead of "Pre-Colonial Mod"? 

xD, i not notice that, the pueblans is typo error to :(

@coworotel forest gardening

Edited by Trinketos
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2019 at 11:18 AM, Trinketos said:

Yes, The most difficult to differentiate are the Tlaxcaltecans, Toltecs and Mexicas

Interesting problem. Looking at wikipedia and a few links I would say. 
Tlaxcaltecans: Coastal so better faster sailing rafts, fishing and trade rafts. Balsa means raft wood. Palm huts on raised earthworks. Less stone work. I would also give them good slingers because the slingers gave Hernan Cortes the most trouble. Xicotencatl the Younger used hit and run kiting effectively. So a kiting slinger or javelin unit. Stealth blow gun unit with good armour verses ranges but blow guns are very short range, low damage with poison. paddle shaped macuahuiti. Spear-macuahuitl combination weapon Probably used for a penetrating thrust with a raking saw action when pulled back. Nasty. Round shields with no feather skirt (chimalli ) or decoration. Top knot cap, low decoration warrior. Poorest of the three. 

Toltecs: Oldest peoples in the region. The word means artisan. So speed boost to building, crafts & stone work. Their art work includes many tall statues that could be both miniwonder and watch tower/ Tower. Some buildings had colonnades like Greek buildings. Some bass relief show collared jaguar and coyote in war scenes. So war beast units. (like the war dogs)  High decoration warriors with cylindrical head dress. Rectangular wood breastplate.  Short macuahuitl club, obsidian blades (They are not swords.) with a longer handle. Light fast Blow gun units with poison darts. 

Mexicas: Essential what we see as Aztecs. Slaves. Plumed headdresses. Can build farms on shallows. Small trees around the farm edge so the farm gives a little wood.  Heavy decoration in armour. Round shields with feather chimalli hanging down & high decoration.  Most warriors were nobles and slave enforcers so expensive and hard hitting with long macuahuitl club shorter handle.  Archers with higher damage but shorter range. Bonus to stone mining. Houses on raised platforms with a hint of water around them. Can build moats[/ canals] as the defence structure with light bridge as gate. Medium armored Blow gun units with poison darts. Small war canoe-raft with two archers.

https://www.historyonthenet.com/aztec-warriors-weapons-and-armor

Give me a shout if there's more. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Wesley said:

Interesting problem. Looking at wikipedia and a few links I would say. 
Tlaxcaltecans: Coastal so better faster sailing rafts, fishing and trade rafts. Balsa means raft wood. Palm huts on raised earthworks. Less stone work. I would also give them good slingers because the slingers gave Hernan Cortes the most trouble. Xicotencatl the Younger used hit and run kiting effectively. So a kiting slinger or javelin unit. Stealth blow gun unit with good armour verses ranges but blow guns are very short range, low damage with poison. paddle shaped macuahuiti. Spear-macuahuitl combination weapon Probably used for a penetrating thrust with a raking saw action when pulled back. Nasty. Round shields with no feather skirt (chimalli ) or decoration. Top knot cap, low decoration warrior. Poorest of the three. 

Toltecs: Oldest peoples in the region. The word means artisan. So speed boost to building, crafts & stone work. Their art work includes many tall statues that could be both miniwonder and watch tower/ Tower. Some buildings had colonnades like Greek buildings. Some bass relief show collared jaguar and coyote in war scenes. So war beast units. (like the war dogs)  High decoration warriors with cylindrical head dress. Rectangular wood breastplate.  Short macuahuitl club, obsidian blades (They are not swords.) with a longer handle. Light fast Blow gun units with poison darts. 

Mexicas: Essential what we see as Aztecs. Slaves. Plumed headdresses. Can build farms on shallows. Small trees around the farm edge so the farm gives a little wood.  Heavy decoration in armour. Round shields with feather chimalli hanging down & high decoration.  Most warriors were nobles and slave enforcers so expensive and hard hitting with long macuahuitl club shorter handle.  Archers with higher damage but shorter range. Bonus to stone mining. Houses on raised platforms with a hint of water around them. Can build moats[/ canals] as the defence structure with light bridge as gate. Medium armored Blow gun units with poison darts. Small war canoe-raft with two archers.

https://www.historyonthenet.com/aztec-warriors-weapons-and-armor

Give me a shout if there's more. 

almost everything you wrote is planned for the three factions xd
except with the Tlaxcalans, they only investigate the architecture that was made of wood and had good fortress
I had planned to give the three factions the possibility of constructing chinampas (the farms that are coiled on the shores of Lake Texcoco)
I'm interested in the info you have :D

52 minutes ago, Trinketos said:

almost everything you wrote is planned for the three factions xd
except with the Tlaxcalans, they only investigate the architecture that was made of wood and had good fortress
I had planned to give the three factions the possibility of constructing chinampas (the farms that are coiled on the shores of Lake Texcoco)
I'm interested in the info you have :D

Its mostly just basic info on wikipedia. I generally start with a picture search to find info and I have wikipedia at the centre of my hot bar. I also don't believe the idea that societies are primitive without good reason so I look for exceptions. Technology not commonly discussed. 
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Columbian_rafts

I've also read an account of Cortes's first battles. That was on wikipedia but I can't find it now. Its been shortened to one paragraph. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xicotencatl_II
The appearance of Xicotencatl's statue may be useful. 
I also have read Gurps Aztec's and other RPG. The Gurps guys reportedly went to a museum and weighed all the weapons to get accuracy. 

Yes I read your summery at the top of the page. Looks good.
What is your time period? 

12 hours ago, Wesley said:

Its mostly just basic info on wikipedia. I generally start with a picture search to find info and I have wikipedia at the centre of my hot bar. I also don't believe the idea that societies are primitive without good reason so I look for exceptions. Technology not commonly discussed. 
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Columbian_rafts

I've also read an account of Cortes's first battles. That was on wikipedia but I can't find it now. Its been shortened to one paragraph. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xicotencatl_II
The appearance of Xicotencatl's statue may be useful. 
I also have read Gurps Aztec's and other RPG. The Gurps guys reportedly went to a museum and weighed all the weapons to get accuracy. 

Yes I read your summery at the top of the page. Looks good.
What is your time period? 

The time period is 900 to 1521

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Lopess said:

¡Lindos modelos!! Parabens no ve tiempo para jugar con ellos. Trinketos ya tiene una idea del juego Tupi (claro que cuando el tiempo para eso puede ser trabajado)

No e investigado bien a los tupis pero si tengo una idea algo clara que mostrare en su debido tiempo.

Por ahora solo haré los buildingset de algunas civis, cuando termine esta que es de los Hopi haré los tlaxcaltecas y los toltecas y otras mas :D

darn History Channel because of you, if I look for the Hopi or the pueblos, and  your stupid aliens helping the natives apper to me.

Edited by Trinketos
History la cagaste
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Trinketos said:

I invoke the art team in help mode and finished my turn.

@LordGood, @stanislas69, @Alexandermb

Since you are the most active,
I would like to know what you think about these textures of the terrain I made.

screenshot0101.png

types.7z 12.41 MB · 0 downloads

Imagen relacionada

add variations, dirt and all kind of a real ground it could have.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/9/2019 at 7:48 AM, stanislas69 said:

They are nice but they are missing details so they do not look very realistic.

On 4/9/2019 at 9:51 AM, Diatryma said:

Imagen relacionada

add variations, dirt and all kind of a real ground it could have.

I agree with you.

58 minutes ago, Trinketos said:

How I could  make these kinds of menus in the game

I was exploring the menu code but I do not understand anything :(

Revolution_Peru_Argentina.png

Well more importantly look here https://github.com/0ADMods/A-Mythology-mod-f-or-0-A.D./commit/ae783c0b978b19f155624a710acb3867ce4fdf58   and here https://github.com/0ADMods/A-Mythology-mod-f-or-0-A.D./commit/c13c0e08e4a10918f9dedf408d6a45b6f1e2495a  ,  https://github.com/0ADMods/A-Mythology-mod-f-or-0-A.D./commits/master?before=5e3a3b3111fddb44afa0c2e760792e5b194d5cd4+70    plus if you want to add specialized units  you need this as well https://github.com/0ADMods/A-Mythology-mod-f-or-0-A.D./commit/91c02477a59ed2380ae3d611cf126af89c184570

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Trinketos said:

Does that menu appear from the beginning of the game?

well from our discussions this I believe is at the very start plus we also talked about a minor deity system that is initiated between phases( which should be connected to this one) but I do not think it is implemented,  I believe it is not. @Rolf Dew 

Edited by asterix
  • Like 2

well works :D
but i get this

ERROR: Invalid command: unknown command type: ({type:"civ-selection", name:{portrait:"flag_white_flag, name:"Civ1", description:"TheCivi", godPowers:[{name:".", description:"Hola", power:"No se que es esto"}], Bonuses:[{name:"Bono", description:"Prueba", tech:"path/to/pairedtech"}], civUnits:["TuVieja"], hero:"TuOtraVieja"}})

i attach the log file

interestinglog.html

• Like 1