===[TASK]=== Rome Barracks Update

Stan`

I'd look to the split buildings instead of the original barracks, the iron grate and floating arches were a problem in the original, while the crenellations look better than they were sitting directly on the floor, I don't know why the merlons are thicker than the rest, I'd fix that

that said i do like the layout and transition from covered walk to the open one

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I don't know what it is. It just looks less "balanced" than the old one, like you took the old one, mirrored it, and made it worse somehow. lol. Sorry if I can't quite put my finger on it. While I still have an interest in architecture and an eye for aesthetics, I haven't taken Architectural theory in 17 years. :) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I don't know what it is. It just looks less "balanced" than the old one, like you took the old one, mirrored it, and made it worse somehow. lol. Sorry if I can't quite put my finger on it. While I still have an interest in architecture and an eye for aesthetics, I haven't taken Architectural theory in 17 years. :) 

yes is visual balance related with psychology (affects design 3D, 2D, architecture... ).

Gestalt Principles
How humans perceive patterns can be directly attributed to the Gestalt principles. Our brains are wired to see symmetry and balance of a unified whole, hence the visual perception of the synchronising elements together. Gestalt principles are built on aspects like similarity, continuation, closure, proximity and figure/ground.

These principles tend to trick the brain as optical illusions so thorough attention should be practised by designers. Humans tend to go to the path of the least resistance. When we are presented with extensive information, we simplify and deconstruct to its most straightforward meaning.

For example, when viewing a building façade from different perspectives, the rhythmic language often represents balance through the consolidated elements. Lines that converge from a single viewpoint create the illusion of depth and scale. The brain makes sense of the visual system by deductive reasoning.

• 3 weeks later...

Despite of the direction you end up following with the layout, here are some suggestions with the structural parts:

Use thicker wall wood beams. The wood beams on the walls are currently too thin. Making them thicker will provide a sturdier feel. Also use the "X" pattern which is very characteristic of romans:

image.png

For the "boringness" of the walls, you can throw some "indent" arches. I think Pureon also used them in some roman houses.

image.png

Banners and shields hanging on walls: I think it is a great eye-candy catcher to spice up walls and give the military feel. It is a decoration element used in several of the barracks in-game that works pretty well.

image.pngimage.png

Investigate adding different roofing levels:

-Except few exceptions (Persians and Seleucids) the barracks often have roof elevation variations to spice up the shilouette, while keeping the "U" shape layout:

image.png

For further structural inspiration, you could take a look at AC:Origins and AC:Odissey cities screenshots, or fire up the game if you have them. You can get very nice ideas and keep the historical accurracy.

cheers!

• Like 4