Buildings models revision

20 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Gathering a team means more people to complain about things and second guess (and third guess) every gameplay decision. And then people end up hating you and then you burn out hard after @#$%king up a fundraiser. (y) Perhaps I am being oddly specific.

Well you are a different person now :) You failed hardz then got back on your feet and made a mod that seems to have a true success.

Also I like to think 0 A.D. has come a long way since

• Like 1

TY all for answers.

11 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

Gauls did not build them.

I mean the smoke effect like at britons fortress. And I already heard that not all of roman citizens wanted to built home oven, preferring to buy end-product at town bakery. (Traveling blog at Pompeii) But completely lack of chimneys at certain nations also as stolen tiles on greek floor looks pretty unnaturally like theatrical props especially at snow maps. While Roman civil centre have almost perfect platform. There must be another way to keep terrain integration without making brand-new ruins.

Spoiler

0.png

Spoiler

0.png

Spoiler

House.png.44f49315fc4ed95d12eb7c849a6a9835.png

Spoiler

0.png.03c2c9dad021729a9d64650ca87111ab.png

Spoiler

0.png.6aacee9503ac727449095a1dcb248dad.png

Edited by RukoFiber

1 hour ago, RukoFiber said:

I mean the smoke effect like at britons fortress. 

Ah that. Sure. Could you pull together a list per building ? Else all you interesting suggestions might be lost. I'll add to the art task tracking thread and we'll see what we can do. No promises as always.

12 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Night/Day cycles never really made sense, since game time actually represents years and years of settlement growth. So, then the day/night cycle would rotate every 2 seconds. ;););) But it is a game after all, so concessions can be made in the name of coolness. Season changes make way more sense, and with them can come different lighting conditions definitely (and flooding on Nile and Tropic maps would be cool). But again, as you mention, it takes a programmer to come along who's interested in implementing that kind of stuff. I'm about to make a thread regarding my sound effect ideas, but I know, again, that it needs an inspired programmer to make it happen. Crazier things have happened.

Day/night isn't actually that simple to do. It'd require figuring out how to get the sun to rotate properly at a given angle as well as adding new values to atlas/map settings for morning/noon/evening/night colors to interpolate between. Interpolating between colors is pretty simple but getting the sun rotation to not look like crap not so much. The sun angle also would need to present a usable parameter to mapmakers. Also doesn't work so well without a dynamic skybox, which requires a lot more fiddling to allow phasing between night and day. Dynamic skybox needs some form of dynamic clouds, again not so simple and there are at least a couple of different ways to handle that.

Eventually probably, but there are other important things that need doing first.

Dynamic seasons just forget it. Every tree and bush model as well as all buildings would need 2-4 seasonal variants, which are not supported by the engine currently not to mention the art just isn't there. That'd also require having exact matches for inter-seasonal terrain textures, again not there, and interpolating between the seasons would require loading twice as much texture data with a lot more data switching during the game as the seasons changed. The performance would be intolerably bad even if you managed to get the art assets.

It would be nice if we had snowy building variants though. It's awkward having a snow-covered map while the buildings are spotless.

Well...:rolleyes: I have just watch building models of Persians and I`m not sure thair houses (from warm countries) use ordinary chimneys. It concerns also Carthage houses. Climatic conditions make me confused...:unsure: Anyway, if Spartan house have chimey, so why others can`t have?

Honestly all houses at all nations exept brit_house are need chimey typically to their climatic conditions. Maybe not all but at least 1-2 models of 3-4 available. The non-chimey-gauls are need some hatches for smoke. The maur_fortress, ptol_fortress, rome_fortress are need gates or lattice. Also default_civil_centre, athen_civil_centre, athen_gymnasion, athen_royal_stoa, mace_civil_centre, mace_royal_stoa, spart_civil_centre, spart_royal_stoa are need complete tiles platform. And maybe athen_civil_centre`s and mace_civil_centre`s main buildings should be more in the center like spart_civil_centre.

It`s strange that author of houses models make chimey at advanced model but forgot to make at in-game model. Also strange that non of all residental gauls buildings have chimeys. And why tavern smoke under roof?

Spoiler

0.png.35b05d27b3f1bd69b0d63d4e52365d6d.png

Spoiler

0.png.176f7397109654df17f9f1294c1a9a9c.png

Spoiler

0.thumb.png.57d6ab063944a2503edab483f5c67eb2.png

Edited by RukoFiber

why have a chimney if a hole in under the apex of the roof will do the same? High windows work well for letting out smoke too, chimneys aren't always necessary

Also the 'authors' of these buildings may be completely different people active at completely different times, where you see such discrepancies

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, LordGood said:

chimneys aren't always necessary

I just see that very similar to each other models use some time very different approach to design. And I only propose to reconsider textures for more homogeneous design if it possible. I didn`t actually know how original buildings was made and make assumption that something is missing (something the obvious) like castle-gates, hatches for isolated rooms with windows-only or chimneys for residental buildings.

Edited by RukoFiber

3 hours ago, RukoFiber said:

Well...:rolleyes: I have just watch building models of Persians and I`m not sure thair houses (from warm countries) use ordinary chimneys. It concerns also Carthage houses. Climatic conditions make me confused...:unsure: Anyway, if Spartan house have chimey, so why others can`t have?

Honestly all houses at all nations exept brit_house are need chimey typically to their climatic conditions.

2 hours ago, Nescio said:

Thank you for looking critically at things. I believe dedicated chimneys in houses (rather than just a hole in the roof) emerged only in High Medieval Europe.

Nescio already got this one, just confirming. Typical "chimneys" as we know them today only became widespread on houses considerably after the timeframe of this game (which is different from AoE II). Romans seemed to use it, but not a lot. Pottery kilns, smelting furnaces and perhaps bakeries can make use of some kind of chimney, but even here, it wouldn't necessarily be visible in all civs. Most of the kilns/furnaces didn't actually reach that high (usually less than a man's height). In most cases (home cooking) smoke was just vented through a high window, or through (a simple opening in) the roof (or just cook outside, or in a room with a very light permeable roof of palm branches or something similar). Ancient roofing tiles are also somewhat permeable for smoke. In the case of thatch, the smoke from fires actually helps keeping bugs out of the roof, which could otherwise become infested with all manner of creatures. Using charcoal also reduces the amount of smoke and potentially dangerous vapours.  

Example: "Reconstruction of a roof with smoke-vent or skylight pan tile (opaion) from Acquarossa, Phase 3" (Etruscan):

17051816368_3e535f1a21_z.jpg.85d47df5ed413201fd58ec50f6b9daeb.jpg

So, please no chimneys... Only the blacksmiths should have them (artistic license and recognizability)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Nescio already got this one, just confirming. Typical "chimneys" as we know them today only became widespread on houses considerably after the timeframe of this game (which is different from AoE II). Romans seemed to use it, but not a lot. Pottery kilns, smelting furnaces and perhaps bakeries can make use of some kind of chimney, but even here, it wouldn't necessarily be visible in all civs. Most of the kilns/furnaces didn't actually reach that high (usually less than a man's height). In most cases (home cooking) smoke was just vented through a high window, or through (a simple opening in) the roof (or just cook outside, or in a room with a very light permeable roof of palm branches or something similar). Ancient roofing tiles are also somewhat permeable for smoke. In the case of thatch, the smoke from fires actually helps keeping bugs out of the roof, which could otherwise become infested with all manner of creatures. Using charcoal also reduces the amount of smoke and potentially dangerous vapours.  

Example: "Reconstruction of a roof with smoke-vent or skylight pan tile (opaion) from Acquarossa, Phase 3" (Etruscan):

17051816368_3e535f1a21_z.jpg.85d47df5ed413201fd58ec50f6b9daeb.jpg

So, please no chimneys... Only the blacksmiths should have them (artistic license and recognizability)

Hard to make those things visible on rooves.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LordGood said:

So all that remains of the chimney issue is finding strategic spots to place minor smoke particle props on homes then? And getting rid of the ones already present of course

Why do we have to have smoke coming out of every house? I'm still confused on this point. A random dude on the internet says he wants every building to have smoke coming out of it? Why? The blacksmith has smoke coming out of it because it has a visible fire and for recognizability. I agree that villages, towns, and cities were likely very smokey places, but they also had animals everywhere and raw sewage in the streets and people walking to and fro and actual roads ( ;) ) and stuff. Why add smoke particles that affect graphics performance? :) Let's add poop particles too. ;) 

I'm being mildly facetious. But still, maybe analyze this a little bit first. I can think of a hundred different (and more interesting) things you guys can use your awesome talents on than this. :) 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I'm being mildly facetious. But still, maybe analyze this a little bit first. I can think of a hundred different (and more interesting) things you guys can use your awesome talents on than this. :) 

I'm all ears :)

40 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

I'm all ears :)

Scythians

Thracians

Mountains

Trees (we have maybe 1 good looking palm and maybe 2 good looking deciduous trees)

Terrain textures

Plants and Foliage

Animals

Treasures

Mines and stones

Iberian and Indian and Carthaginian units could all use some love

Wonders

(cool stuff for my mod, like cult statues and shipyards)

:)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Thracians

Could start using the mod I published on GitHub for the time being :)

2 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Mountains

Ever looked at my eyecandy mod ? There are a lot of rocks there. Some textures too.

Plants I really want to do something but I have been gathering reference on the forums on how to do it. I haven't had good results so far. I'll try some more. For instance we need Papyrus.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Ever looked at my eyecandy mod ? There are a lot of rocks there. Some textures too.

Why are they in a mod and not in the game? :) 

For instance we need Papyrus.

Yes definitely. A very important plant for the Egyptian maps. 

Mountains

mountain_mentalray_01.jpg699b955a-a4bf-4

lowpoly-mountain-x1-3d-model-low-poly-ma

barracks-desert-mountain-03-3d-model-obj

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Let's add poop particles too

can do, some poop decals could be nice

@wowgetoffyourcellphone I get your point here, but by my analysis the more we can do to make these towns and villages look 'lived in' would help immersion, and I'm thinking smaller, shorter lived smoke particles than things like the blacksmith, and not on every house, of course.

• Like 3