Additional lighting in engine

11 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

Can you make this a separate patch ? The best way, would be a simulation triggerable version of it :) But a map specific one is fine too.

Absolute "best" imho would be to assign rain to cloud actors/entities that can travel across the map. But, hell, beggars can't be choosers. "Whole map" or placeable objects or whatever you can make happen I'd be happy with. Whole map "rain shower" and "thunderstorm" options would be acceptable too. Almost anything is better than the rain we have now. ;) 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, Ceres said:

@vladislavbelov

Sorry to "bump" here, too. YOur screenies at the beginning look breathtaking. I understand that prio on this is maybe not high but would be interested to know whether this would ask for more CPU/GPU power.

It would and I believe those were WIP workarounds, no code was ever released for that reason.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Can't believe something as amazing as those screenshots was done, yet the project seems to have dropped dead for almost 3 years. May we please ask for an update on this? Is there still no way to integrate the code in a proper way so this can make it into the original engine? I was just wondering about things like additional building lights and glowing windows in another thread:

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

May I bump this to ask if any progress has been made since last time? Alpha 26 was released recently: A27 is about to be upgraded from OpenGL and feature a Vulkan backend. Given the new renderer, is the way paved for allowing buildings / units / map decorations to correctly have their own lights? I feel the lack of custom light sources is the biggest relevant limitation still left in Pyrogenesis.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MirceaKitsune said:

May I bump this to ask if any progress has been made since last time? Alpha 26 was released recently: A27 is about to be upgraded from OpenGL and feature a Vulkan backend. Given the new renderer, is the way paved for allowing buildings / units / map decorations to correctly have their own lights?

Technically it's possible but it requires art optimization.

45 minutes ago, MirceaKitsune said:

I feel the lack of custom light sources is the biggest relevant limitation still left in Pyrogenesis.

I can't say it's the only biggest there is also PBR.

11 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Some guidance?

Currently we have at least two major problems: many different materials (different only by uniform value aren't different) and many draw calls (because of complex variations).

I also plan to release Technical Art Guide but not sure when I'll have time to finish it.

2 hours ago, asterix said:

you mean to look at patches by this guy https://code.wildfiregames.com/D3555 ?

No, I mean industry standard PBR approaches.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, vladislavbelov said:

Currently we have at least two major problems: many different materials (different only by uniform value aren't different) and many draw calls (because of complex variations).

I also plan to release Technical Art Guide but not sure when I'll have time to finish it.

No, I mean industry standard PBR approaches.

Speaking of pbr this program can work in convert the textures to pbr http://www.boundingboxsoftware.com/materialize/index.php

I put it in case is need for the pbr.

19 hours ago, vladislavbelov said:

Technically it's possible but it requires art optimization.

I can't say it's the only biggest there is also PBR.

From what I understand as someone who isn't familiar with the engine code, the hard limitation was the engine not yet making it possible to define light sources attached to units or map props. Once Pyrogenesis were to support spawning point lights and spotlights, it's indeed a matter of adding it to existing assets.

What we probably want by default a bunch of buildings (such as Civic Center or Temple) having one or two flame torches. Another great improvement would be lit windows, not sure if those should have light sources as an emissive window texture could be enough. Think I actually asked about that one:

Another issue we have is night maps are rare, this will be most visible and useful on them. So a great additional improvement would be taking all the maps (especially random ones) and adding a night mode to them, currently only a handful have it instead of being something universal. A day / night cycle is also a relevant feature.

PRB would be awesome but feels more secondary by comparison: Especially for a RTS where you don't see close detail it might be less immediate. Would definitely look nice if the helmets of guards had proper metalicity!

5 hours ago, MirceaKitsune said:

the hard limitation was the engine not yet making it possible to define light sources attached to units or map props.

It's not the hardest part. The most time consuming part is to make the lights be accounted during rendering.

5 hours ago, MirceaKitsune said:

PRB would be awesome but feels more secondary by comparison: Especially for a RTS where you don't see close detail it might be less immediate.

PBR isn't for details but for rendering consistency. With PBR an object will look well in all light conditions. Currently we have over-brighten or over-darken colors on some maps.

• 2 weeks later...