Article 13: Bad news for EU internet users (Youtuber...)

9 hours ago, Nescio said:

The European parliament (representing the EU's population) decided the proposal can be adopted in principle. The text is still a draft. Now it's up to the European council (representing the governments of the EU's member states) to decide upon the precise wording and turn the directive into law. In other words, it's still possible to change the more controversial articles into something vague and ineffective, but that's up to your national ministers.

And remember it's not the end of the road. Nothing is permanent in politics.

Not totally true, next step is the trilog, where they will write the final law. This law then has to pass the voting of the parliament again.

1 hour ago, (-_-) said:

Emanuel Karlsten, a reporter for Sweden’s Breakit news site, spoke with Voss, a Member of the European Parliament (MEP) and the EU’s copyright rapporteur, after the vote. Karlsten asked about a last-minute amendment that will bar the filming of sports events. The MEP replied in a recorded conversation, “This was kind of mistake I think by the JURI committee. Someone amended this. No one had been aware of this.”

European Parliament press officer John Schranz at that point broke in to explain that he was aware of the provision in question, calling it “amendment 76.” Schranz said that the amendment doesn’t bar individuals from filming sporting events. Rather, “the main target” is online betting companies enticing viewers to their sites with video that they have no right to film. He objected to the fact that the “Greens and others” interpret the provision as having a much wider application.

But the MEP Voss admitted, “I didn’t know that this was in the proposal so far, so of course I have to deal with it now. I do not consider that the commission and council will have this inside the proposal.” Voss added that “because of the time pressure” and general focus on other, more notable aspects of the law, it’s possible that the measure was insufficiently scrutinized.

Karlsten notes that MEPs complained at a press conference after the vote yesterday that Facebook and Google tried to manipulate their votes with email campaigns, ignoring the fact that messages were also sent by concerned individuals. “They do not believe people in Europe really are worried about what this directive will bring,” the Swedish reporter contends.

“I was actually flabbergasted by my time in the parliament. It exceeded my worst fears about the competence of the MEPs handling of this directive.”

Jesus Christ...

fixit.jpg.d5355ebc7873a4e6c66f3f4d7b36a156.jpg

• Haha 2

On 6/22/2018 at 6:34 AM, Dan The Strategist said:

Just the EU digging its own grave further, another example of its desperate attempts to clinch onto its sort of dictatorship power... At least in the UK these new laws will not affect us. 

is not ppl thinking UK will suffer(would likely) suffer more in the brexit thing?I mean they been spreading losing trade/job etc/higher cost in buy goods.
with this stupid law company that going from UK to EU will likely combe back to UK since it less complex and lesser tax etc..
is not EU encouraging UK to brexit now?and help more nation to have a reason to XXexit???:blush: god how those people thinking in higher up lol

• 4 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, balduin said:

Yes, the proposed article 13 in the new law is stupid. However, it does not really affect 0 A.D., because most or all of the content is under free licenses.

WFG would have to filter every single post made here in the forums and elsewhere for copyrighted materials. I doubt it would be easy to set up such a filter. Worst case scenario, don’t allow to post images etc at all.

it scared a lot of people back then, you wouldnt be able to share memes and if you own a website you would have to tax outgoing links lol imo they just want the money but have no clue how internet works.

all webmasters would have to remove all outgoing links if it would be true and then internet would become quite useless (google also wouldn't be able to keep outgoing links for free)

some language version of wikipedia was turned off as a protest

• Like 1

Link tax is article 11. The memes about not being able to share memes was just internet having its fun. Fair usage policies would apply. The main problem is due to how hard is to make sure all content is not copyrighted material and a lot of fair usage content would get falsely flagged too.

1 minute ago, (-_-) said:

Link tax is article 11. The memes about not being able to share memes was just internet having its fun. Fair usage policies would apply. The main problem is due to how hard is to make sure all content is not copyrighted material and a lot of fair usage content would get falsely flagged too.

the big studios have plot-armor (this way I mean money)so  they are above  the law is here because of them.

2 hours ago, (-_-) said:

If I read correctly, there is NO clause for fair use. 

None... Please, please correct me if I'm wrong!

These laws are impossible, and would end internet as we know it if actually applied. As long as people realize these laws CAN NOT BE APPLIED if we refuse them, we should be good. As I said, civil disobedience means that they can't prosecute 3.5 billion internet users, most of whom will never even realize that they are participating in civil disobedience... lol 

The burden is more on small sites and platforms rather than the masses. For example, WFG would need to spend time and money on setting up a content filter. While platforms like Youtube are already compliant to the law even now.

The internet would be like one large Youtube.

5 hours ago, (-_-) said:

For example, WFG would need to spend time and money on setting up a content filter.

To be fair, MEP's are totally inept... At everything... Even if the laws pass, they wouldn't have a clue on how to implement it. There are only a few agencies around the world that are somewhat able at monitoring most of the known internet. Nobody in Europe ever came close, so how they're going to enforce such draconian crap is beyond me. It's just the sheer nerve, ignorance and arrogance of these asshats that gets to me... Especially considering all the anti-Chinese propaganda that's out there, they're now going try and create the architecture to reach to same level of content surveillance. The only way to do it would be to refuse access to any website that isn't EU-approved, which would cause everyone to use VPN's... It's just stupid and flies in the face of everything Europe supposedly stands for.

• Like 2

The directive from 2001 allows member states to make exceptions which includes fair usage such as parody etc. I don’t recall the exact article though, maybe 5.

I could very well be wrong. Legal things are boring enough that I am not really motivated to be right :D

With regard to Sundiata’s post: I am not really sure about that. All giant companies such as Google, Facebook, Youtube, Reddit or whatever would comply in a heartbeat. What then? Just stop using those sites? Noone wins.

Edited by Guest

48 minutes ago, (-_-) said:

With regard to Sundiata’s post: I am not really sure about that. All giant companies such as Google, Facebook, Youtube, Reddit or whatever would comply in a heartbeat. What then? Just stop using those sites? Noone wins.

You're probably right... Maybe just stop using the internet... We took a wrong turn somewhere... It's like 90% adds nowadays anyway (most of them concealed/subliminal/not immediately obvious). It's been a good 20 years for me, but I'm a bit tired of paying for my own brainwashing. Might throw out my t.v. as well. For entertainment I'll just play alpha 23 into eternity and bounce a ball off the wall or something when I get bored of it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sundiata said:

You're probably right... Maybe just stop using the internet... We took a wrong turn somewhere... It's like 90% adds nowadays anyway

I barely see adds. I simply block them. Unless I specifically want to support a news website or a service. However, in cases where I want to support them I am often times willing to support them by paying money directly to the creators.

I hope that we will have more platforms such as Liberapay. Platforms which allow me to fund and support people creating tangible and intangible things I care about. I my opinion the middle layer, those who do not do anything valuable or a system which ensures a small percentage of creators make thousands and the rest can barley sustain from their creations.

Article 13 just codifies the current status where publishers try to survive, because they do not want to adjust. They do not want to create new business models. New disruptive models will destroy them long term anyways.

• 5 months later...
On 6/21/2018 at 5:09 PM, Sundiata said:

Sharing links, memes, images and even quoting articles all become subject to EU copyright directives. No exception for fair use. It's only one of many similar assaults on internet freedom, and the full effect will only be felt in a few years from now, creating a false sense of "oh, but it's not so bad". This is what fascism looks like (sorry, but that's what it really is). They're creating the architecture to stifle all "undesirable" content. Which is basically anyone that isn't big business. It will create an environment were politically, socially or economically sensitive information can be prevented from ever even being published (think of sites like WikiLeaks, or even Wikipedia) 

Our "leaders" are clueless, self-serving crooks that have sold out to faceless oligarchies a long time ago... In my eyes, most policy makers the world round have systematically proven themselves unworthy of our approval, and they delegitimize their own authority through the immoral nature and effect of their actions. We shouldn't accept this. No one should. I don't want to sound like some out of touch revolutionary or something, but International Civil Disobedience is the most appropriate way to respond to this.  

We have power in numbers. 3.5 Billion internet users worldwide. If we say NO, it's NO. They can't arrest/sue/fine us all over some darn memes (or videos of American attack helicopters shooting up wedding parties in Iraq)...  

705899649_EuropeanUnionEUcopyrightdirectivememe.jpg.d7aded86241c1930a2fdaf5f7ad2dec1.jpg

Did I just commit a crime by making that meme? According to the new directives I did... Bite me, EU. 

Welcome to the First world!

7 hours ago, Trinketos said:

Welcome to the First world!

Silly me, thinking that running back to the 3rd world would save me from this nonsense, only to find out that this will affect the whole world, as big internet companies tend to comply to the strictest versions of these laws, regardless of what country they're based in, out of fear of being blocked in a large segment of the international market (such as th EU). It puts the little fish (like us) in an impossible position... 

This is a fight that's much bigger than "just" the internet. The worldwide democratic deficit is growing at an alarming rate and these new and fraudulent "copyright" as well as those new "privacy" directives are feeding directly into that. The only privacy that's going to be protected is the privacy of oligarchs and political gangsters as they continue to rape and pillage this world as if there's no tomorrow. 

Resist! 

A Luta Continua! 

• Like 3