Can you add in 0 A.D a "Kids / Low Violence Mode"?

Hi,

Thank you for taking your time for reading this.

First of all thank you for creating 0 A.D which I think is absolutely fantastic. I was always playing PC strategy games, starting with Warcraft2,

however now as a father I need to look at the violence aspect in them. 0 A.D is a fantastic strategy, which triggers an imagination of many ...including children.

Can you create a mode, where all blood will disappear and e.g. hunting will be more like farming, and feeding animals, rather than killing them all,

farming will expand, but hunting will be more about keeping animals, bringing wild animals to the farm and keeping them locked,

milking a cow, feeding a dear and keeping all animals ALIVE, so they can "produce" resource=food?

My son and I am sure many children out there are under strong influence of gaming. As a parent I try to minimise an impact,

however his interest in history is amazing, all the tribes and weapons. 0 A.D. however it doesn't only have to be about

killing everything and everybody on the screen, KIDS mode could turn this game into much less violent strategy,

where you can actually grow wildlife population, rather than annihilating it, make friends and still fight enemies,

but without all this blood marks on the ground everywhere. You could also add some english sounds to the game,

not just unspeakable words during battles, or some actions, so kids could learn something in the process.

This game stands a chance to become a epic Open Source including all history behind the armies. 

I can help and add polish and english voice over for free. Just a suggestion.

However...

Can you add in 0 A.D a Low Violence Mode ?

Regards,

Dad, speaking for all parents out there!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Free said:

0 A.D. however it doesn't only have to be about 

killing everything and everybody on the screen

Besides conquest, there is also regicide (where killing one thing on the screen is sufficient for victory), but also Capture the Relic and Wonder victory where one can win without anyone being harmed. More gamemodes are planned, such as being the first to gather or trade a specific amount of resources.

18 minutes ago, Free said:

hunting will be more about keeping animals, bringing wild animals to the farm and keeping them locked

That proposal is well represented on the forums in fact. 0 A.D. isn't a farming simulation, but one can easily create mods doing that.

20 minutes ago, Free said:

still fight enemies

This is inevitably violent unless one can talk the enemy into surrendering with diplomats.

21 minutes ago, Free said:

without all this blood marks on the ground

It's either the Mandala effect or the previous alphas didn't have this blood.

My personal opinion is that I want to see a more realistic depcition of what happened in history and that ultimately requires depcition of decapitated, halved bodies, gore and intestines, the worst things a human could possibly see. This would teach us that romans and greeks were not only those well meaning inventors of democracy and civilized world but genocided their way to survival or victory.

This should be an opt-in addition however, it could be a mod, but our artists said it would be hard to implement. Maybe something can be done with splitting files more.

23 minutes ago, Free said:

You could also add some english sounds to the game, 

not just unspeakable words during battles, or some actions, so kids could learn something in the process. 

Well this is greek and latin.

What prevents people from comprehending it is missing experience in these languages. People like me who only speak english and the native language would however benefit a lot if the words that they speak were visible somewhere, so that one can look them up and translate them. That's what I would call good learning, especially when one wants to become familiar with ancient civilizations, our ancestors. Perhaps there could be a userinterface page that lists all sentences and plays them when clicking on them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your your post. I will look at the Capture the Relic and Wonder victory. I hope this will help with my needs. I really hope however we don't have to see "views of decapitated, halved bodies, gore and intestines" in this game ever, as those times are long gone now, where life expectancy was 37 for most of the people and looking at things like this should be regulated and should not be advertised in games like this. I don't speak old Greek, Greek people don't know old greek well either. Latin, which is only used by students, who study it is a good guess. Latin is no longer used as a native language by anybody and especially not by any speech community. Some people would say it's a dead language, even if some parts is being used by other languages and your local pharmacy staff would know a few words. What I would call good learning is ability to play the game in Scottish Gaelic, German, Italian, Polish and all other languages and be able to hear the speech, not just to read the text of the screen, then I could learn other languages, this would be very helpful. Let me know if you need a volunteer, I am happy to help.

Edited by Free

1 hour ago, Free said:

Thanks for your your post. I will look at the Capture the Relic and Wonder victory. I hope this will help with my needs. I really hope however we don't have to see "views of decapitated, halved bodies, gore and intestines" in this game ever, as those times are long gone now, where life expectancy was 37 for most of the people and looking at things like this should be regulated and should not be advertised in games like this. I don't speak old Greek, Greek people don't know old greek well either. Latin, which is only used by students, who study it is a good guess. Latin is no longer used as a native language by anybody and especially not by any speech community. Some people would say it's a dead language, even if some parts is being used by other languages and your local pharmacy staff would know a few words. What I would call good learning is ability to play the game in Scottish Gaelic, German, Italian, Polish and all other languages and be able to hear the speech, not just to read the text of the screen, then I could learn other languages, this would be very helpful. Let me know if you need a volunteer, I am happy to help.

Is classic latín, isn't even medieval Latin.

I don't know Greek but I want Greek because Romans don't  speak English, like Hollywood representation.please don't kill immersion.

You can hear modern language in future history text in campaign.

You played the game? there aren't people being decapitated, even crucified.

The best age to play this game is around 11 years old.

That was a quote from this what elexis would want to see in the game (see his post above), not what I have seen in the game. He said: "My personal opinion is that I want to see a more realistic depcition of what happened in history and that ultimately requires depcition of decapitated, halved bodies, gore and intestines, the worst things a human could possibly see". That's a bit too much don't you think?

Hello @Free and welcome to the forums ! Glad you want to share the game with your children.

1 hour ago, Free said:

don't speak old Greek, Greek people don't know old greek well either. Latin, which is only used by students, who study it is a good guess. Latin is no longer used as a native language by anybody and especially not by any speech community. Some people would say it's a dead language, even if some parts is being used by other languages and your local pharmacy staff would know a few words.

The aim of the game is to entertain while teaching some history. There is very serious research behind the civilizations, as you can see by the work @Sundiata conducted very recently, and that work also go towards voices. I don't consider units speaking some modern language a good way to respect historical accuracy, as most of the languages that are spoken now are different, and can't possibly represent the faction they can be assigned to. Making Zapotecs speak English is just plain nonsense.

1 hour ago, Free said:

What I would call good learning is ability to play the game in Scottish Gaelic, German, Italian, Polish and all other languages and be able to hear the speech, not just to read the text of the screen, then I could learn other languages, this would be very helpful. Let me know if you need a volunteer, I am happy to help.

If you really want this to happen, you can record voices for every civilization in the languages you want which should cover a few simple sentences you can find here https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Audio_Voice_List

That could make a great mod and we encourage you to do so.

Blood gore etc.

Here is a small mod that disables blood from the game entirely. Just drag and drop it on the 0 A.D. executable, or double click on it if you have them already bound to the game. I made it a few minutes ago, so there might be some left overs as it's a few hundred files to check but it should clear 99% of the blood.

no-blood-and-gore-mod.pyromod

2 hours ago, elexis said:

It's either the Mandala effect or the previous alphas didn't have this blood.

The previous did not consistently have blood because of the great number of iterations and the lack of variants.

• Like 4

Did I actually write Mandala :banger:

1 hour ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

The best age to play this game is around 11 years old.

Our own history (I guess except the one of china and american continents) has the potential to fascinate grown ups too. If we had a number of capable history and computer science students, we could make this an application that can serve as an extensive history education software suitable for adults without the children noticing it while playing. So I object, the best age to play is 11 to 111.

1 hour ago, stanislas69 said:

The previous did not consistently have blood because of the great number of iterations and the lack of variants.

But there was blood at all? I entirely don't remember seeing it until Kushites came.

As not few want 0 blood and some others want accuracy and/or more graphical details, I guess it will be a test for our modding community and our engine/art files.

9 minutes ago, elexis said:

Did I actually write Mandala :banger:

Our own history (I guess except the one of china and american continents) has the potential to fascinate grown ups too. If we had a number of capable history and computer science students, we could make this an application that can serve as an extensive history education software suitable for adults without the children noticing it while playing. So I object, the best age to play is 11 to 111.

But there was blood at all? I entirely don't remember seeing it until Kushites came.

As not few want 0 blood and some others want accuracy and/or more graphical details, I guess it will be a test for our modding community and our engine/art files.

Well now you have a no blood mod. I could upload it to mod.io, but that's work.

Kushites add blood, some, not all units like chariots, and animals had it, so I unified everything to have it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Free said:

That was a quote from this what elexis would want to see in the game (see his post above), not what I have seen in the game. He said: "My personal opinion is that I want to see a more realistic depcition of what happened in history and that ultimately requires depcition of decapitated, halved bodies, gore and intestines, the worst things a human could possibly see". That's a bit too much don't you think?

We can implement encyclopedia if @s0600204 want implemented something.

With gore... the timeframe is a age of brutality.

Spoiler

Resultado de imagen para crucifixionResultado de imagen para flagrumResultado de imagen para flagrum

This is a really sweet suggestion though ^_^

Personally I'd love to see more:

4 hours ago, elexis said:

depcition of decapitated, halved bodies, gore and intestines, the worst things a human could possibly see.

Just for the sake of realism, 

But a semi-official PEGI 6-mod (or in-game setting) would indeed be really nice for the little ones as well :) 

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Free said:

Can you add in 0 A.D a Low Violence Mode ?

The game is about conquest, which is about as brutal as humans get. I don't see how the lack of blood would gloss over that fact. The animals thing, too, baffles me. How will children learn where their food comes from, unless you're one of those adults who impose a vegetarian diet onto children? In fact, I was recently thinking about a way to show guts and entrails from animals while they're being slaughtered ( @stanislas69, a prop can show up on the ground). The "milking" thing is a quasi-planned feature, where you can garrison animals into the corral and gain a trickle of free food.

But, regarding blood, I think it would be good to have a no-blood toggle option simply for the fact that it is not a rarely-requested feature. It's kind of a low-priority thing, but still floats around out there in the ether.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The game is literally about war and killing off entire civilizations. Hard to create a utopic theme around that.

However, adding an option for not showing blood for those who want it isnt a bad idea.

The blood is also supposed to stay longer than the corpse because the transition from the entity to nothingness should be as progressively and unnoticeably as possible.

5 hours ago, Sundiata said:

depcition of decapitated, halved bodies, gore and intestines, the worst things a human could possibly see.

I mean it was a deliberate tactic by the roman swordsmen to only do one quick hit into the stomach and then go on with the next guy rather than actually killing the opponent (so as to become more efficient in battle). So in a way it was even worse than killing for the one having to experience it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1