===[TASK]=== Roma Helmets

Alexandermb

@Alexandermb Have you tried using an HDRI to bake in some fake but realistic reflections from the sky and such? I think Enrique suggested something similar recently. It would add to the realism of the helmets, which currently look a little as if they were lit under a spot, reflecting whites but no blues from the sky. (I know lighting is probably one of the most difficult things and an HDRI might be a bit hard on your system).

Here's a beautiful example of how outside lighting reflects the sky in the polished metal

roman-soldiers-with-shields-and-weaponry-at-a-roman-army-reenactment-ANJ15H.thumb.jpg.71cb683a10980acabf659784476cfa7c.jpg

As LordGood said, I think adding dirt and scratches afterwards with the spec map offers the cleanest approach, perhaps even using normals for heavier denting?

Of course I'm not an expert in the matter. I just see you're still experimenting a lot so I thought I'd my 2 cents.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

@Alexandermb Have you tried using an HDRI to bake in some fake but realistic reflections from the sky and such? I think Enrique suggested something similar recently. It would add to the realism of the helmets, which currently look a little as if they were lit under a spot, reflecting whites but no blues from the sky. (I know lighting is probably one of the most difficult things and an HDRI might be a bit hard on your system).

Here's a beautiful example of how outside lighting reflects the sky in the polished metal

As LordGood said, I think adding dirt and scratches afterwards with the spec map offers the cleanest approach, perhaps even using normals for heavier denting?

Of course I'm not an expert in the matter. I just see you're still experimenting a lot so I thought I'd my 2 cents.

I've tried that before but i had problems with it (at least with my kind of materials) and always end with over reflective stuff wich ends in the full sky reflected in the helmet (a full white zone with kinda like 200% overbrightness). handling the bronze, iron, silver, gold etc was one of the hardest problem i've faced when baking my first helmets because of that.

TBH reaching this point with the ones so far i've made its a tremendous advance.

Btw, when i ended with the neiderbieber i've started a cheiroballista (i wanted to update the scorpio because its pretty outdated compared to others siege engines but i don't find a whole perspective proper scorpio references), i wanted to test my new wood material in something good, (The chariot was ok but i have to find a proper UV and design for the wheel)

Spoiler

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Cycles preview:

Spoiler

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

• Like 3