[Request/discussion] Siege animations for infantry/cavalry

av93

If you agree, a torching attack instead of the hitting the building with the sword, could be a little more immersive, both for melee infantry and cavalry. I'm not suggesting any gameplay change.

If you had played AoE3, you know what I mean (by the 5:20 mark, where it should start the video)

Spoiler

I suppose that archers could use the same animation of their attack, just with added particles of fire.

A video talking about the real history of fire arrows (from his POV)

Spoiler

The problem would be slingers and skirmishers, that have a bigger range to throw torches.

Melee infantry could break the walls with a pick (and cavalry could use an animation similar to the dismounted food gathering while chipping the fortification)

Spoiler

Edited by av93
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, av93 said:

But, right now, the engine can handle different animations when targeting different kind of targets, right?

Not in a clean way. The only exemple of such a thing would be slaughter and it's a whole new type of attack all together with its own stats. That means to add attack_building there is a lot of code that has to be changed. Also UnitAI a 6000 lines js file.

2 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Not in a clean way. The only exemple of such a thing would be slaughter and it's a whole new type of attack all together with its own stats. That means to add attack_building there is a lot of code that has to be changed. Also UnitAI a 6000 lines js file.

:wacko: Never mind then.

1 minute ago, av93 said:

:wacko: Never mind then.

We'll have them at some point. The good news is thanks to sanderd we support damaging building (making flame props appear here and there) so once units start throwing torches, building will be able to catch fire, with a little work from the art dpt.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

@stanislas69 i think torching buildings its already possible by adding what i did years ago. doesn't matter wich distance i use to attack the tower, they don't use their attack melee animation.

Sidenote: They are swordsman.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.d9d65c5f8ebdb2b8c592b047937b8984.pngimage.png.89f8620afab0ea36bfe65efadf28e10b.pngimage.png.e4ec36fdca9d17cdc765e80ef9eae1cc.png

Just insert

<RestrictedClasses datatype="tokens">Structure</RestrictedClasses>

into `template_unit_infantry_melee.xml` melee attack and insert

<RestrictedClasses datatype="tokens">Unit</RestrictedClasses>

into their (new) ranged attack, to prevent them from "torching" enemy units.