People are using wrong directory for mods

Lion.Kanzen

Today a guy reports s "bug" in alfa 23 but isn't possible he have this issue installing older dependency.  so I assumed this can be the way.

Steps by steps.(assumption )

• Have A22 installed.
  • Have a mod installed with vanilla game Delenda Est 0.0.22
  • Install A23
  • Run

Needs confirm.

32732023_10155315545756790_2105301936667361280_o.jpg

Obviously I recommend delete the mods and try again.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Not really a bug, but expected behaviour. A mod created for A22 is not going to work with A23.

Your user can either (any one of these should work):

• Run the program from the command line like so: "0ad -mod=mod", which will start 0ad in the mod-selector screen where they can disable the mod through the gui; or
  • Find the file "user.cfg", and modify the line starting "mod.enabledmods" to remove the reference to delenda_est; or
  • Remove the delenda_est folder manually from their system.

2 hours ago, s0600204 said:

Not really a bug, but expected behaviour. A mod created for A22 is not going to work with A23.

Your user can either (any one of these should work):

• Run the program from the command line like so: "0ad -mod=mod", which will start 0ad in the mod-selector screen where they can disable the mod through the gui; or
  • Find the file "user.cfg", and modify the line starting "mod.enabledmods" to remove the reference to delenda_est; or
  • Remove the delenda_est folder manually from their system.

I know the last tip is that I recommended. But in the next release is possibly this happens? 

A mod written for A22 will certainly not work with A24. A mod written for A23 is very unlikely to work with A24.

pyrogenesis probably should check that all enabled mods are (or at least claim to be) compatible every time it starts, but until someone writes code that does that...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, s0600204 said:

A mod written for A22 will certainly not work with A24. A mod written for A23 is very unlikely to work with A24.

pyrogenesis probably should check that all enabled mods are (or at least claim to be) compatible every time it starts, but until someone writes code that does that...

Yes, But if a mod(23 compatible) installed in A23 then enable a mod and save, then install A24, and still have appears?.

I'm not sure if the user change the dependencies, I'm assuming he doesn't touch anything.

jajaja dlv creo que soy el único que no lo ah podido usar,
1) hay que usar una versión anterior y para instalarlo como mod?
2) si ya baje el alpha 23 con torrent y desinstalo el delenda est (borré todos los archivos de la máquina), y borro todo ,porque me vuelve a salir como el delenda est pero con errores sin poder jugarlo? 
tiren paro :,v

----

hahaha dlv I think I'm the only one who could not use it,

1) you have to use a previous version and to install it as a mod?

2) if I already downloaded the alpha 23 with torrent and uninstalled the delenda est (I deleted all the files of the machine), and delete everything, because it comes back to me like the delenda est but with errors without being able to play it?

This was he replied .

here is... I'm sure is DE mod 0.0.22 issues in 0.0.23 game

People are installing mods in same folder as the game.

Spoiler

C:\Users\____\AppData\Local\0 A.D. alpha\binaries\data\mods\mod

there are a Youtubers saying the wrong place to put the mods and even older mods.

interestinglog.zip

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Frankly, I'm a little surprised he got that semi-working. But yes, that youtuber is demonstrating wrong.

The place to install mods on OSX is "~/Library/Application Support/0ad/mods/{mod_name}/{mod_name.zip}".

(I mean, if you're going to demonstrate something, it would be a good idea to make sure you're doing it correctly... You'd think the fact it doesn't show up in the mod selection screen would be indicative that he's done something wrong.)

Anyway...

Are you saying that your original "guy" has done something similar? (Also, where is he communicating with you?)

(On Windows (Vista or newer), mods should be installed as: "C:\Users\{user}\Documents\My Games\0ad\mods\{mod_name}\{mod_name}.zip")

• Like 1

@stanislas69 No, just use the .pyromod extension instead of .zip

It could probably be made more explicit on the wiki.

The "Modding Guide" page does currently state that "Typically mods are located in binaries/data/mods/" (which is correct - at least for mods distributed with the game), and then goes on to say "but you can also add them to the mods (data) directory" which is actually where we want third-party mods to be placed. This should probably be rewritten to make it clearer.

8 minutes ago, s0600204 said:

No, just use the .pyromod extension instead of .zip

There is a little difference: .pyromod has an additional behaivour. It's associated with the game, zip - not. Only drag&drop works for the zip. And it's not allowed to put .pyromod inside mod folders yet (but it'd be good to have such possibility).

So .pyromod is not equal to .zip.

3 hours ago, s0600204 said:

Frankly, I'm a little surprised he got that semi-working. But yes, that youtuber is demonstrating wrong.

The place to install mods on OSX is "~/Library/Application Support/0ad/mods/{mod_name}/{mod_name.zip}".

(I mean, if you're going to demonstrate something, it would be a good idea to make sure you're doing it correctly... You'd think the fact it doesn't show up in the mod selection screen would be indicative that he's done something wrong.)

Anyway...

Are you saying that your original "guy" has done something similar? (Also, where is he communicating with you?)

(On Windows (Vista or newer), mods should be installed as: "C:\Users\{user}\Documents\My Games\0ad\mods\{mod_name}\{mod_name}.zip")

Facebook, even he isn't sure what he did. and he confess put multiple mode in there.

for unknow reason the images are little.

I suggested if he can't  delete the mod, use A22 to revert mod changes. the weird thing is how they disable vanilla mod? (1 first image)

image.png.2888434cd9fd563acb6cdea1770332e0.png

image.png.bcd609d0ddb31e346d94ee0c125128cc.png

image.png.575e039410609154d571f25f408ee002.png

image.png.57944074ea5efd0fdf6a42b87671e798.pngimage.png.d4a6aef111aa279ca0ea1b2e5f3e8ab7.png

so interesting thing is there.

the directory, its game directory itself.

image.png.83bd39413e64bb9eea670a75f3a05e25.png

he installed and unistalled the game many times.

ya lo hice varias veces lo raro es que se queda guardado
y cada que lo vuelvo a instalar sigue así
no creo tener ya archivos escondidos
en otras rutas

#####translatio######
I already did it several times how weird is that it stays saved
and every time I install it, it continues like this
I do not think I have hidden files anymore
in other routes
enía como 15 descargas de mods de todos porque no entendía muy bien como ponerlos
la vdd
hasta que alguno funcionara

##########################
I would like 15 downloads of all mods because I did not understand very well how to put them
the truth
until one of them works

I think the one that started the problem was when I tried to put hyrule conquest

I mean, it did not work for me, but if the factions came out in civ selector
already at the time of starting the game came all messy

so he say this... after I said there isn't the place for the mods.

yes ... youtube tutorials ....
Hahaha

image.png

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

3 hours ago, s0600204 said:

@stanislas69 No, just use the .pyromod extension instead of .zip

It could probably be made more explicit on the wiki.

The "Modding Guide" page does currently state that "Typically mods are located in binaries/data/mods/" (which is correct - at least for mods distributed with the game), and then goes on to say "but you can also add them to the mods (data) directory" which is actually where we want third-party mods to be placed. This should probably be rewritten to make it clearer.

the wiki is in english so is more practical search google and found this tutorial.

5 hours ago, vladislavbelov said:

There is a little difference: .pyromod has an additional behaivour. It's associated with the game, zip - not. Only drag&drop works for the zip. And it's not allowed to put .pyromod inside mod folders yet (but it'd be good to have such possibility).

So .pyromod is not equal to .zip.

I also noticed a weird behavior. If you delete all the XML files and leave the XMB when you drag an drop on the executable it regenerates them... I hope it doesn't change other files as well. I hope it doesn't remove the .DELETED files. Need to check.

While packaging I also noticed you need the textures.xml files spread across the folders else it breaks everything. 

4 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

I also noticed a weird behavior. If you delete all the XML files and leave the XMB when you drag an drop on the executable it regenerates them... I hope it doesn't change other files as well. I hope it doesn't remove the .DELETED files. Need to check.

While packaging I also noticed you need the textures.xml files spread across the folders else it breaks everything. 

It shouldn't differ from the manual installation AFAIK. Because the mod installer extracts only the mod.json and copies the whole zip file.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vladislavbelov said:

It shouldn't differ from the manual installation AFAIK. Because the mod installer extracts only the mod.json and copies the whole zip file.

Are you sure it doesn't call the archive builder to make the zip ? If it does well that's gonna be fun