New Release: 0 A.D. Alpha 23 "Ken Wood"

elexis

I loled at the Youtube comments concerning Steam. Lion has beat me to the punch.

So far the main complaints are optimization and AI toughness. Because of that "other game" the latter complaint seems beautiful to look at. I'd prefer a tough AI than a "cheating AI" or "unplayably broken AI".

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Loki1950 said:

Just got A23 from the ppa on Mint 18

Loki1950, what is the package name? For me in Mint 18 (based on Ubuntu 16.04 I guess) it appears as 0.0.23~rc3-0ubuntu1~16.04~wfg0, so I guess it is not the official alpha 23, just the RC?

Edited by coworotel

4 minutes ago, Palaiogos said:

Why is it called Ken Wood?

You have the explanation in the article

The name "Ken Wood"

Ken Wood, also known as Phoenix-TheRealDeal or tonto_real, was one of the three original gameplay designers of 0 A.D, together with Wijitmaker and Acumen. He was a retiree in his 60’s from Arizona, but he sadly passed away in 2006 after a long fight with cancer. It is thanks to the amount of energy and passion he poured into the early stages of 0 A.D. that we are celebrating another great release of our favorite game! We managed to reach that symbolic letter W for our twenty-third Alpha, and we keep remembering him through the development of the project.

Ken Wood was instrumental in conceptualizing some of the core concepts of 0 A.D. Most notably, he laid the foundations of the citizen-soldier concept, and its female villager counterpart. He was also fascinated by Celtiberian civilizations and designed the Iberian and Carthaginian factions. He designed a Rock-Paper-Scissors counter system for units of the game, biomes for maps, and had big ideas for naval combat and realistic ship movement.

If you want to know more about the story behind 0 A.D., see this article. We have also re-published an interview from the old website here.

And let us not forget his famous quote, which gives us all the motivation we can need:

staffmotto.jpg.17c04808a6f4ff44c0e6aa3b1bcaf017.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, coworotel said:

Loki1950, what is the package name? For me in Mint 18 (based on Ubuntu 16.04 I guess) it appears as 0.0.23~rc3-0ubuntu1~16.04~wfg0, so I guess it is not the official alpha 23, just the RC?

Yes rc3 but there where no real changes so I imagine that someone with proper access will change the package name shortly.

Enjoy the Choice :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jonbaer said:

Great job the release, ~20 games in and feels amazing w/ the detail (and really like the nomad idea).

BTW HackerNews discussion here @ https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=17108843

Is there a page detailing what is involved in publishing to mod.io? (sorry catching up)

yea it has 

and  this  https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Modding_Guide#Distributingyourmods

plus there is also changelog that I will still to fully update it https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Alpha23

• Like 1

Thought I would have seen Rise of the East or a few other mods available in the new release, assuming there is much work to be done or they just haven't been packaged up yet?  Can one assume that some others (like http://www.moddb.com/games/0-ad/mods) will make it into mod.io soon as well?  I feel like I am missing a whole entire thread of when this client was discussed to be pushed into the game.

27 minutes ago, jonbaer said:

Thought I would have seen Rise of the East or a few other mods available in the new release, assuming there is much work to be done or they just haven't been packaged up yet?  Can one assume that some others (like http://www.moddb.com/games/0-ad/mods) will make it into mod.io soon as well?  I feel like I am missing a whole entire thread of when this client was discussed to be pushed into the game.

you can check our sub forum we have a changelog there and our last work but we aren't ready yet.

Thanks @stanislas69 for the update; that's awesome.

So, the only difference is that  they cost 10 more wood and that they have had their pierce attack reduced by 2? It's been a great update cos they seem much weaker - to the point I don't bother using them much anymore as they'll just be killed by infantry archers. Speaking of which...

Infantry archers are totally OP now, especially as people are still playing no cav games which means you can't get near them. Maybe something to think about..?

Thanks again!