Alpha 24 name suggestions

elexis

• 2 months later...

I suggest Xenophilia, the love for the foreign,

as it seems to me, xenophobia the fear of everything foreign, is on the rise world-wide these days and isn't helping much wherever it surfaces, to say the least.

The open-source community on the other hand is a great model of what people of all nations and races can achieve if they lay aside hatred and fear of others and promote understanding and collaboration. And what better project than 0 A.D. to showcase this, as it is a mix of so many different cultures on so many different levels.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone :)

I have just installed 0AD from   ppa:wfg/0ad.dev, but realize  is 0.0.23b. How can I install Alpha 24 ... may be compile from source(?), but the info for downloading pointed 0.0.23b again?

Please a little help!

Edited by radopenev

7 minutes ago, radopenev said:

Hi everyone :)

I have just installed 0AD from   ppa:wfg/0ad.dev, but realize  is 0.0.23b. How can I install Alpha 24 ... may be compile from source(?), but the info for downloading pointed 0.0.23b again?

Please a little help!

Yes if you have linux system I believe so you have two options either https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/BuildInstructions  or https://github.com/0ad/0ad  which is usually 1 day behind.

• 8 months later...
On 5/18/2018 at 9:59 AM, Sundiata said:

[...] That makes at least 15 Greco-Roman names out of 23 alphas. [...] How about finally merging Rise of the East with the main game and naming alpha 23 "Xiongnu"?

On 5/18/2018 at 10:12 AM, Lion.Kanzen said:

Add Xiongnu

On 5/18/2018 at 11:50 AM, Nescio said:

[...] Xiongnu (Hsiung-nu) and Han China, yes please.

On 5/18/2018 at 5:33 PM, Sundiata said:

[...] Or we could go with "Xiyu" Han Chinese for "Western Regions", an area fought over with the Xiongnu and paramount for control over the silk-road, connecting everything in the Eurasian sphere together). [...]

On 5/18/2018 at 5:51 PM, Sundiata said:

[...] How could there be any resistance to including the Chinese as a playable civilization when the actual logo of Wildfire Games is CHINESE??? [...]

On 5/18/2018 at 6:40 PM, Sundiata said:

[...] The logo of the game developer is Chinese. We have a complete and historical Chinese civ lying on the shelf. Yet, Chinese names won't be accepted for the next release ... because there's no Chinese in the standard game... It's like, AAAARGH?!?!

On 5/19/2018 at 12:07 PM, Diptangshu said:

Firstly, I am keen to know that whether development team is planning to place Han or Shang or Jōmon or any other Asia based civilization in future alpha versions or not. If, they are planning to do so, I have some wonderful names in my mind... [...]

1. Xi-Wanghttp://www.meaning-of-names.com/chinese-names/xi-wang.asp ) This, name suggests for future hope (as par the meaning) (Xi-Wang in Chinese it means hope and it can be used as a phrase for both feminine and masculine character)

2. Xianghttps://www.behindthename.com/name/xiang ) This name suggests for a future prosperity and good luck (Xiang in Chinese means 'good omen' or simply good luck). [...]

On 10/12/2018 at 12:25 PM, Diptangshu said:

As, Sundiata earlier suggested Xiongnu is a good name [...] I would prefer any Eastern Asian names from Han, Xiongnu or any other Asian civs... It would be better for both the future prospect and also for the newly come contributer from Asia to contribute more in this game... [...] So, I prefer any kind of Non-group non-roman names and also prefer for the developers decision to add new Asian civs (like Han, Xinognu, Yayoi or something like that)... [...]

On 9/3/2019 at 11:03 AM, Nescio said:

If Han China were included in the game, then how about Xianyang, the capital city of Qin Shi Huang (the man who unified China), whose mausoleum in the necropolis includes the world-famous terracotta army? The Han China took over a few years after his death and moved the capital to nearby Chang'an (modern Xi'an).

On 9/7/2019 at 3:44 AM, sphyrth said:

+1 for Xianyang for the same cheer of adding the Hans in the game. We tend to have problems naming stuff that don't have the Greek / Latin letters in them... especially now that we're tired of using Greek or Roman names.

On 9/7/2019 at 7:30 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

This alpha being over a year going, I think adding the Han (and archery ranges, stables, and workshops) would make it worth the wait.

On 11/22/2019 at 11:11 PM, badosu said:

If Han civilization gets in, I agree with Xianyang since it highlights the addition.

On 12/14/2019 at 3:19 AM, sphyrth said:

I'm calling it. These succeeding Alphas will be the time for Terra Magna: Xiongnu for 24 Yayoi for 25 Zapotec for 26

I would love to see Alpha 24 themed around Asia/Chinese as well with the inclusion of the Hans (even if it took 1 year from now to the release). I have no strong opinion on specific names though...

Edited by Palaxin
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Palaxin said:

even if it took 1 year from now to the release

I don't think anyone cares about this anymore. Since we surpassed 2 years, * AD have a longer release cycle than Debian.

But yes, given that the eastern civs are 90% finished this is not an unreasonable expectation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Palaxin said:

I would love to see Alpha 24 themed around Asia/Chinese as well with the inclusion of the Hans

I am in favor of the inclusion of a Chinese faction (warring states or Han dynasty). I am simply expressing here my support in case someone is interested.

On 11/22/2019 at 11:11 PM, badosu said:

If Han civilization gets in, I agree with Xianyang since it highlights the addition.

Xiaolian: It is the concept of filial piety and incorruptibility introduced by Emperor Wudi (Han dynasty) and Dong Zhongshu for the election of high officials.

On 9/14/2020 at 1:46 AM, rajubhaiya said:

Xerxes is the more obvious choice (which isn't necessarily bad), and we haven't had a Persian name for an alpha since alpha 8 (2011)... Maybe add some special attention to the Persians the upcoming release? 

But yes, given that the eastern civs are 90% finished this is not an unreasonable expectation.