Alpha 24 name suggestions

elexis

6 minutes ago, OptimusShepard said:

X-mas, so we also have an release date for A24 ;)

“Release dates” and “A24” are nothing more than old myths and legends. :P

0 A. D. is today in a better very good shape. I did not encounter any weird bugs while playing the main game. The addition Alpha is really more a joke at this point. I think after Y and Z, 0 A. D. should be named Beta 1 and after iterating through all letters from A - Z again we should continue with Gamma 1 etc. Basically using the Greek alphabet to indicate how often we counted from A - Z.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, balduin said:

0 A. D. is today in a better very good shape. I did not encounter any weird bugs while playing the main game. The addition Alpha is really more a joke at this point. I think after Y and Z, 0 A. D. should be named Beta 1 and after iterating through all letters from A - Z again we should continue with Gamma 1 etc. Basically using the Greek alphabet to indicate how often we counted from A - Z.

I think it is still considered Alpha, due to some unimplemented features, the pathfinder (which I believe is being rewritten) and to not give the impression that this is how the final game will be. Also I don't think, we want negative reviews yet,  because people might think that we are close to releasing this game if it is not an Alpha.

Edited by Rolf Dew

On 5/18/2018 at 4:43 AM, Sundiata said:

That's actually not a relevant argument, is overly subjective and really isn't true when taking Persians, Egyptians, Kushites, Mauryans (and Chinese) into account... Why do you like to trigger me like that? lol! :P 

I don't believe in reinforcing historical biases. Greek and Roman history is super interesting, but so is a lot of other stuff that hardly anybody has ever heard of, for no other reason than Hollywood not making movies about it and high-school history curriculums still being stuck in 20th century narratives.

0AD offers amazing educational opportunities, illustrated by the addition of civs like the Kushites, Mauryans, Seleucids and Ptolemies. Civilizations that most people have never even heard of. The Xiongnu offer the same educational advantage, and the legacy of Xerxes and the Achaemenids has been thoroughly dragged through the mud by that unspeakable movie (who's name we shall not mention) which has had an incredible impact on popular culture. We can help in "righting those wrongs" with our historical roster, and more attention to the relevance of the most powerful civilizations never mentioned. 

We should be trend-setters, not followers. 

True. More importantly, stone-age warriors vs iron-age antiquity... would euhm, turn out ugly... Impossible to balance. They have no horses... Llama cavalry would be hilarious, but unhistorical... Quinquireme vs dugout canoes?

If we use a more flexible timeframe for the pre-Colombian civs (600 BC - 600 AD, why not, it's a separate game anyway), we could have a really cool collection of factions and add it as a "built in mod", like those AoE-expansions (except it actually comes pre-packed with the game, with an integrated button on the homescreen). add Zapotecs, together with Maya's, Olmecs, Moche and Teotihuacan... Would be absolutely delicious! 

Teotihuacan(Toltecs)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Some names picked from nodes on the Wikipedia link graph, going to or from an 0AD civilization:

• XenophonXenophon of Athens (431 BC – 354 BC),  a Greek mercenary and historian from Athens. 
  • Xerxes I: King Xerxes the Great (519 – 465 BC), was a Persian King and Pharaoh of Egypt of the Achaemenid Empire.
    Xerxes II of Persia
  • Xerxes Canal: The Xerxes Canal was a navigator's canal built by Xerxes the Great (Persian Empire).
  • Xanthos: Xanthus was a city and river in ancient Lycia. Persian Empire 540 BC. Later under Roman and Byzantine rule (c. 42 BC). Located in present-day Turkey.
  • Xanthian Obelisk: The Columna Xanthiaca (also known as Xanthian Obelisk, or Xanthus Bilingual) is a 400 BC monument from the Persian Achaemenid Empire. It is believed to have a trilingual inscription. Located in present-day Turkey. 
  • XanthippusXanthippus (525-475 BC) was an Athenian politician. The name means "Yellow Horse". Distinguished in the Greco-Persian wars that led to ascendancy of the Athenian Empire.
  • Xulsigiae: The Xulsigiae were goddesses worshipped in Gallo-Roman religion (Belgic Gauls, c. 22 BC).

Of these, I personally like the following two (somewhat less Greek):

• Columna Xanthiaca
  • King Xerxes
Edited by Krinkle
  • Like 1

Alpha 24: Amanishakheto

I think its should be focused maybe on something not many people know about which in turn makes then want to look it up and therefore they learn something, like my previous suggestion even though I probably butcherd the name.

And she checks a lot of boxes for all the politically correct people out there. :)

Edited by JamesWright
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Flora

Xylem: (botany) A vascular tissue in land plants primarily responsible for the distribution of water and minerals taken up by the roots; also the primary component of wood. :laugh:

But seriously I also vote for Xšayaṛša.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, coworotel said:

Xylem: (botany) A vascular tissue in land plants primarily responsible for the distribution of water and minerals taken up by the roots; also the primary component of wood. :laugh:

Nice idea. It comes from the greek word xylon that means wood, so both could be perfect candidate for a release specifically about the flora.

20 minutes ago, coworotel said:

But seriously I also vote for Xšayaṛša.

I don't know how much the changes are important. Are the new voices really something the players will notice?

On 4/22/2019 at 5:45 AM, Krinkle said:

The Xulsigiae were goddesses worshipped in Gallo-Roman religion

Yes, good idea. If the release is about the Celtic factions, this is perfect. We could even include Xulsigiae figures in the game (shrine).

• Like 1