Alpha 24 name suggestions

elexis

Haha found it

http://www.eaglefonts.com/nal-huttese-ttf-97906.htm

In case you have access.

Else

On 9/9/2013 at 12:11 AM, Wijitmaker said:

Fun facts - the pyrogenesis "logo" was a single character from a font. It was intended to be similar in look to the Chinese wildfire games character. I think the name was selected by a team vote at the time when we were using greek to name certain aspects of the game - like Atlas and Odysseus. It's prior name was prometheus, which we found out later was already used. I think before that it was briefly called omicron. "New Fire" was what it was supposed to mean, loosely following the wildfire moniker.

I think the attached file is the original .max file for the 0 A.D. logo (guessing based on file name).

• Like 1

Alpha 24 XXIV

Romans adapted many of Greece and other civilizations, it lead them to domination of the last ancient era, before Middle Age was born. Not many ancients books (and knowledge) survived those times :cray: But at least enough for the following age and peoples found other ways to live :king::drunk::eat:

Edited by Grigoris
Missed one X on XXIV (24)

3 hours ago, Imarok said:

@Sundiata do you have any names to propose that come from one of our included non greek/roman civ?

Yes, I made my suggestion on the first page (Xerxes)

If you want to go the puritanical way, Xšayaṛša is pretty cool too...

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Imarok said:

An explanation for us uneducated people would be also nice ;)

Xšayaṛša is the original Old Persian form of Xerxes, written with appropriate diacritics, for those of you who can't read cuneiform (peasants... :P)  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Xšayaṛša is the original Old Persian form of Xerxes, written with appropriate diacritics, for those of you who can't read cuneiform (peasants... :P)  

Sounds like a good idea, and better than Xerxes ;):thumbup:

• Like 2

Firstly, I am keen to know that whether development team is planning to place Han or Shang or Jōmon or any other Asia based civilization in future alpha versions or not. If, they are planning to do so, I have some wonderful names in my mind...

Like....

1. Xi-Wang ( http://www.meaning-of-names.com/chinese-names/xi-wang.asp )

This, name suggests for future hope (as par the meaning) (Xi-Wang in Chinese it means hope and it can be used as a phrase for both feminine and masculine character)

2.Xiang ( https://www.behindthename.com/name/xiang )

This name suggests for a future prosperity and good luck (Xiang in Chinese means 'good omen' or simply good luck). 

I hope everyone will agree with me.

Otherwise my vote goes for Xanthippus.

Edited by Diptangshu
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Diptangshu said:

Firstly, I am keen to know that whether development team is planning to place Han or Shang or Jōmon or any other Asia based civilization in future alpha versions or not. If, they are planning to do so, I have some wonderful names in my mind...

Like....

1. Xi-Wang ( http://www.meaning-of-names.com/chinese-names/xi-wang.asp )

This, name suggests for future hope (as par the meaning) (Xi-Wang in Chinese it means hope and it can be used as a phrase for both feminine and masculine character)

2.Xiang ( https://www.behindthename.com/name/xiang )

This name suggests for a future prosperity and good luck (Xiang in Chinese means 'good omen' or simply good luck). 

I hope everyone will agree with me.

Otherwise my vote goes for Xanthippus.

We have our mod terra magna from there next faction can be developed.

• 2 months later...

In spanish "X" has two sounds, one is the same as english (eks, as in exactly) and other derived from ancient french which  is seemed as the [ch] sound on german or [c]h on gaelic scotish, as it could be find on México or Texas (méjico, tejas) for example Xerxes is written in spanish as Jerjes , and Xenophon as Jenofonte. There is a few names with X and, as it happens in english, the many are derived from greek

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I am also for the name Xerxes or Xšayaṛša. At the end both are names for the same Persian king.

In addition, it would be nice to have a playable scenario/mission of one of the battles fought by Xerxes.

Edited by balduin
Additions
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 1:29 PM, Sundiata said:

I'd like to stress that the "Ptolemaic" name Naukratis (alpha 14) is obviously not Egyptian, but Greek. The Egyptian name was Piemro. The "Ptolemaic" name Timosthenes [of Rhodes] (alpha 20) is obviosly also Greek and not Egyptian either... [Even the Celtic Loucetios sounds Hellenized...] This would mean that out of 23 alphas so far, we already have 10 Greek names... We have 13 civilizations in game, and 10 out of 23 alphas have been given Greek names... 

In addition to that we have 5 Latin (Roman) names... That makes at least 15 Greco-Roman names out of 23 alphas. But so far we have 6 Greek suggestions in this thread... I get it, Greeks were cool, but seriously... What the fudge...

How about finally merging Rise of the East with the main game and naming alpha 23 "Xiongnu"?

As, Sundiata earlier suggested Xinognu is a good name, I also appreciate the name Xšayaṛša, as it highlights something more than the Greek-Roman antiquity.

But, I would prefer any Eastern Asian names from Han, Xinognu or any other Asian civs...

It would be better for both the future prospect and also for the newly come contributer from Asia to contribute more in this game...

And, perhaps Nescio was right about the decision. He suggested that we should not add any American or Oceanian civs because there were probably no interaction with rest of the world (I mean Eurasian continentum).

So, I prefer any kind of Non-group non-roman names and also prefer for the developers decision to add new Asian civs (like Han, Xinognu, Yayoi or something like that)...

Thanking everyone... 

• Like 1