Alpha 24 name suggestions

elexis

0 A.D. release names start with the letter of the alphabet that corresponds to the release version. I.e. Ulysses for Alpha 21, Venustas for Alpha 22, Wood for Alpha 23.

Hence Alpha 24 should receive a name starting with X.

As with previous releases, we give everyone the opportunity to propose release names.

Let us hear your best proposals! :mail:

Xenophon is cool and interesting from an educational perspective, but we already have a bunch of Greek stuff...

Xerxes is the more obvious choice (which isn't necessarily bad), and we haven't had a Persian name for an alpha since alpha 8 (2011)... Maybe add some special attention to the Persians the upcoming release? 

So yeah, my vote is on the dude that ordered the lashing of the Hellespont :) 

zpage198.thumb.gif.68bca103cc2483d3f755fae5f313c49a.gif

• Like 3

Xylophone ? ^^

If I manage to get the changes I want to the sound system,

• Walking sounds without the weird effect when two many units are moving
  • Making sure the gain works as expected.
  • Ambient sounds defined by objects and not globally. With specific range.

plus @OmriLahav tracks especially the ones from the Kushites.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I suggested it because out of all in-game civs, Kushites is the least known about civ to most people (or maybe just me).

Xerxes seems to be a nice name as well.

Edited by Guest

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/xylanthrax

From Ancient Greek ξυλάνθρακας (xulánthrakas)

Noun

xylanthrax (uncountable)

1. (archaic) Wood coal or charcoal, distinguished from mineral coal; lignite.

Not in any way that I invoke any prejudice against people of dark complexion. But the charcoal can represent the color of the complexion of the Kushite people as a form of pride in a form of a visible identity. It can also represent the rise of the faction along the playable factions rosters in 0ad and the passion and effort of the individuals behind it, just like how coal burns to produce fire and heat.

Edited by wackyserious

10 minutes ago, elexis said:

Perhaps we should decide on the name rather later than sooner, so that we could pick one that fits to the implemented features of the release.

Aren't we always doing it that way?

Collecting suggestions should be started as early as possible, as this means more suggestions.

• Like 1

Then it's time to remember Xanthippus.

He is known for being the Pericles father.

I will quote wikipedia (sorry I have nothing better to offer) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xanthippus

Early political career and ostracism

As a citizen-soldier of Athens and a member of the aristocracy, Xanthippus most likely fought during the Battle of Marathon in 490 BC. Xanthippus first appears in the historical record the following year (489 BC), when he led the prosecution of Miltiades the Younger, the general who led Athenians to victory at Marathon. Miltiades had asked for a fleet of 70 ships and a supply of troops to be put at his disposal in reward for his victory, saying that he would not reveal his intentions, but that the venture would reap great profit for the city. The Athenians granted his wish, but when he met with set-backs and injury during an attack on Paros he had to return empty handed and sick.[3] Many Athenians suspected him of deceiving them. The Alcmaeonidae were traditional political rivals of Miltiades' clan, the Philaidae, and they pressed for charges against the hero of Marathon, with Xanthippus making their case and asking for the death penalty.[4] Miltiades was in great pain due to his injury and could not defend himself, but his friends put up enough of a defence to avoid his execution; instead he was fined a sum too large to pay and thrown in prison as a debtor. He died there of his wounds.[5] Athenians would come to regret their treatment of their war hero, but immediately following the trial Xanthippus became the pre-eminent politician of the day, if only briefly.[6]

Xanthippus' leadership was short lived due to the rise of Themistocles, who was a populist set against the aristocracy that Xanthippus represented. Xanthippus teamed up with his fellow aristocrat Aristides to counter the ambitions of Themistocles,[7] but Themistocles out-maneuvered them with a series of ostracisms that were basic referendums concerning the direction of the Athenian government. The lower classes had begun to flex their political muscle with Themistocles, and the results of the ostracisms reflected their new-found power. There were 5 prominent ostracisms of aristocrats during the political clashes of the 480's BC, and both Xanthippus and Aristides were among the victims. Xanthippus was ostracised in 484 BC.[8]

Edited by fatherbushido
This is ancient Greece
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, av93 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

82370494_Alphanames.png.d64f6f7ff7204228592715e1d6746da3.png

Also, would be nice to have non-greek names..

I kinda agree with you, but given English spelling I suspect it will be hard to find words that start with "X" that don't come from Greek. I'm gonna keep looking, though. Maybe a word that starts with X in a language other than English? Anyone know Spanish?

Edit: For now I'm going to throw in a vote for Xanthippe, Socrates' Wife

Edited by CrowsVeldt
Forgot to add my suggestion

14 minutes ago, CrowsVeldt said:

I kinda agree with you, but given English spelling I suspect it will be hard to find words that start with "X" that don't come from Greek. I'm gonna keep looking, though. Maybe a word that starts with X in a language other than English? Anyone know Spanish?

Edit: For now I'm going to throw in a vote for Xanthippe, Socrates' Wife

Yo.