Millennium A.D. - Alpha 23 Release Discussion

wackyserious

2 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

Hello guys,

Since a release of Terra Magna is in the works to coincide with the game's latest alpha release I was wondering how far we were from being able to make a release for milleniumad ? There is plenty of new content already. We need a release name and someone to write the release announcement and take some screenshots :)

25 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

For the title, maybe a Germanic term or translation for Wood. So that we can also name the release in honor of the late Mr. Ken Wood.

From Middle English wode, from Old English wudu, widu (wood, forest, grove; tree; timber), from Proto-Germanic *widuz (wood), from Proto-Indo-European *widʰu-. Cognate with Old Dutch widu (Dutch wede), Old High German witu, Old Norse viðr (Danish and Swedish ved). Unrelated to Dutch woud (forest), German Wald. (Wiktionary)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm waiting for the byzantine wall set commit so that I can take screenshots for the release article.

The Byzantine faction will be the highlight and the other half of the article will be reserved for the Carolingians.

So the article will cover the East with the Eastern Roman Empire (Byzantine empire) moving to the west towards the Proto Holy Roman Empire (Carolingian Empire)

38 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

I'm waiting for the byzantine wall set commit so that I can take screenshots for the release article.

The Byzantine faction will be the highlight and the other half of the article will be reserved for the Carolingians.

So the article will cover the East with the Eastern Roman Empire (Byzantine empire) moving to the west towards the Proto Holy Roman Empire (Carolingian Empire)

Done committed, on another small lines mention the norse ships i can imagine some of the players have been waiting for viking ships to show up

• Thanks 1

Hi, guys  still missing screenshots and installation guides and few other things but more or less here is the first draft of the announcement:

The Council is both happy and proud to announce a special new release!!!

/Above should be the new logo that is in the main menu.

What is it?

Millennium A.D. is a total conversion mod for 0 A.D. focusing on the Middle Ages. It is divided into two parts, this first one is focusing on the first half of the Middle Ages; the timeframe of Charlemagne and the Viking Age. The name of this release is Xýlo. This is a byzantine word for wood, in recognition for vanilla 0AD’s founder. That is respectful for the new release ;)

What is new?

Thanks to Alexandermb talented modder is responsible for the majority of the new models, Wackyserious our versatile texture artist, Stanislas69 our artist and Lion.Kanzen icon and texture artist, we are happy to introduce you to two new civilizations Byzantines and Franks(Carolingians), as well as Anglo-Saxons and Norse faction, are considered complete this release.

The Byzantines

The mighty civilization which has its roots in Eastern Roman Empire dawns with this release.

Franks(Carolingians)

The time of Charlemagne has come and you will witness the might of his Franks.

The Norse

Prepare for the new naval battles with the Norse. Since last release the Norse got new longboats and ships are fully animated.

The Norse also got new houses, docks, watchtower, ram …

Anglo-Saxons

Anglo-Saxons got many new textures, buildings, and heroes.

Many smaller changes were made in this release too, but it would be too elaborate to list them all.

Who are we?

The Council of Modders was formed up of two small modding teams and a few newcomers: Aristeia (about the bronze age), Millennium A.D. (about medieval times) and Rise of the East (East civilizations) CoM aims to create an umbrella for all wannabee modders and help everyone needed and of course create their own projects.

How to:

1. Unzip the download but leave the inner archive intact.
  2. Place the unzipped folder into /binaries/data/mods. You'll see another folder there called 'public'.
  3. Launch the game and enable the mod in Options>Mod Selection. Press 'Start Mods'.
  4. Enjoy the mod!

Download:

ModIO installation:

1. Go to URL Mod.io

Pyromod installation:

1. Unzip the download but leave the inner archive intact.

In the last few years, some members retired leaving us shorthanded. We are currently especially in the need of artists. So if you're a talented artist with a passion for history and you would like to help us out, please contact us using a PM or (preferably) in this thread: Wildfiregames...showtopic=18412 Thanks in advance!

Our thanks go to everyone that helped us to achieve this mod through contributing, playtesting or in another way!
If you have tips/suggestions, feel free to let us know. Also if you find bugs, let them know too. Support 0 A.D. if you like us: Play0ad.com

The main menu background is made by Alexlinde from Deviantart. You can find him here: Alexlinde.deviantart.com

The soundtracks are created by Antti Martikainen. You can find more of his work here: Anttimartikainen.bandcamp.com and Youtube.com

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/10/2018 at 1:44 AM, wackyserious said:

I think amendments could be done for this special release. :) Same with how the official game drops their naming method in order to facilitate the special release.

The name of the previous release (A22) started with a V (Venustas), which is followed by W, the 23rd letter of the alphabet, so there is nothing unusual there. 

On 5/10/2018 at 3:00 AM, wackyserious said:

So ModDB release title would be,

Xýlo 21 - Special Release

Millenium A.D.'s A, B, C, D, X is a bit odd, but that's up to you, I don't really care, it's just a name :) However, why 21?

@asterix Thanks! :) A mini changelog after the main content showcase would be ideal.

Main content showcase:

Main highlight Byzantines

Secondary highlight Carolingians

Tertiary (Norse longships)

Maybe place the longships at the bottom. Some sort of a teaser which represents the ships as a looming threat to the other factions. :)

@Nescio :self_hammer:I haven't noticed that I've put A21 instead of A23. I've checked the previous 0ad alpha releases, it was also alphabetical, the mod started to follow that format, so it had to be "E" but since it will be a special release, we wanted to set that aside to in favor of Xýlo since the main highlight would be the Byzantines. However, if someone can suggest a better name which will harmonize with everything, it would even be better.

14 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

@Nescio :self_hammer:I haven't noticed that I've put A21 instead of A23. I've checked the previous 0ad alpha releases, it was also alphabetical, the mod started to follow that format, so it had to be "E" but since it will be a special release, we wanted to set that aside to in favor of Xýlo since the main highlight would be the Byzantines. However, if someone can suggest a better name which will harmonize with everything, it would even be better.

Quite frankly, I don't quite see what ξύλο has to do with the Byzantines. I can find quite a few examples stone, mortar, and brick Byzantine architecture but none of wood.

How about ἐκκλησία (ekklesia), the Greek word for church? After all, Christianity was concentrated predominantly in the Byzantine Empire during this timeframe. Furthermore, the Carolingians supported and strengthened the Latin Church and converted what is now Germany. Just a suggestion; it's your mod, not mine.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wackyserious said:

@Nescio Xýlo was choosen to also honor the late Mr. Ken Wood, likewise A23. It was choosen so that the Byzantine Greeks would still have a representation though language, a Germanic word was a first choice but since the highlight was shifted to the Byzantines, we've settled with Xýlo at the moment.

If you want to honour him (he died in 2006, right?), why not just name your mod Ken Wood then? We don't translate Cicero to Mr. Chickpea either, to name just one example.

Hi guys here is a changelog from my point of view:

Millennium AD 0.23 Changelog

Spoiler

Update the home menu logo (wackyserious)

Byzantines

·    Implementation of Byzantine faction (template, actor, aura and other files) (wackyserious)

·    Cataphract cavalry armor (Alexandermb)

·    Norse sentry tower (Alexandermb)

·    New byzantine textures and tweaks (wackyserious)

·    Byzantine shields and helmets (Alexandermb)

·    Add lamellar + Chainmail armor (wackyserious)

·    Tagmata Helmet (Alexandermb)

·    New chainmail textures and Oval shield textures for Byzantines (Lordgood)

·    Byzantine Paramerion (Alexandermb)

·    Add new cataphract rider texture (wackyserious)

·    Byzantine fishing ship (wackyserious and Alexandermb)

·    Update Byzantine AI names (wackyserious)

·    Byzantine Houses (Alexandermb)

·    added Byzantine Bow (Alexandermb)

·    Byzantine Parma shield (Alexandermb)

·    Lamellar texture variants (wackyserious)

·    Byzantine helmets (Alexandermb)- Burgh Castle

Archer Feathers

·    Byzantine coifs update and basic helmets variants (Alexandermb)

·    Byzantine a and b, Carolingian banners (lion.kanzen)

·    Byzantine Civic Center + Eyecandy decorative building (Alexandermb)

·    Byzantine fences and columns (Alexandermb)

·    Byzantine Barracks + Blacksmith (Alexandermb)

·    Byzantine Storehouse + Dock (Alexandermb)

·    Byzantine farmstead (Alexandermb)

·    Byzantine Market (Alexandermb)

·    Byzantine corral (Alexandermb)

·    Byzantines (Alexandermb)- Added Walls Eyecandy and Skirmish Temple Blacksmith update Old blacksmith modified as armory

·    New Byzantine Emblem (wackyserious)

·    Byzantine round and plain oval shield (Alexandermb)

·    Byzantine spear flag (Alexandermb)

·    New Byzantine Elite unit textures (wackyserious)

·    Add Byzantine portraits (wackyserious)

·    Byzantine defence tower (Alexandermb)

·    Byzantine quiver (Alexandermb)

·    Byzantine sentry tower (Alexandermb)

·   Byzantine 1st Dromon (Alexandermb)

Anglo-Saxons

·    Enabled Brixworth church (Anglo Saxons)(Alexandermb)

·    Anglo-Saxon defence tower (Alexandermb)

·    Offa of Mercia (Anglo-Saxon Hero) - Infantry Swordsman (wackyserious)

·    Anglo-Saxon banner (lion.kanzen)

·    Anglo-Saxon axe animations and fixes to barracks and houses

(Alexandermb)

Carolingians

·       Enhanced Carolingian structure texture (wackyserious)

·       Frankish tunics (Dyed) (wackyserious)- Based on the depictions on the Stuttgart Psalter

·       Carolingian kite shield textures (wackyserious)

·       Carolingian elite unit textures (wackyserious)

·       Carolingian aventail helmet and caro civ enabling. (Alexandermb)

·       Enabled Cathedral of Aachen (Carolingians) (Alexandermb)

·       Added Carolingian infantry spearman and another props for Carolingians. (Alexandermb)- Adventail B Coil

·       New Carolingian church/dock/towers (Alexandermb)- Sentry Tower, Defense Tower, Church, Dock, Scaled Coil helmet aventail B

·       New Carolingian armor textures (wackyserious)- Scale armor and long byrnie.

·       Basic dyed tunics for Carolingians (wackyserious)- Colors are based on the Stuttgart Psalter depictions

·       New Carolingian structure texture (wackyserious)

·       Carolingian unit portraits (wackyserious)

·       Add Catholic priest textures (wackyserious)

·       Carolingian priest portrait (wackyserious)

·       Carolingian armorican cavalry armor (Alexandermb)- Added armorican cavalry (carolingian champion cavalry), Added ao to church actor.

·       Add Carolingian female citizen textures (wackyserious)

·       Carolingian royal dress texture (wackyserious)

·       Add Carolingian champion cavalry unit portrait (wackyserious)

·       Add Carolingian champion infantry (wackyserious)

·       Add Carolingian trader (wackyserious)

·       Carolingian siege trebuchet (Alexandermb)

·       Carolingian walls Part 1 (Alexandermb)- Added walls, long-medium-short-tower

·       Carolingian walls Part II (Finished) (Alexandermb)

·         Add Carolingian fishing ship (wackyserious and Alexandermb)

Norse

·       Norse tent eyecandy- Addition of Norse tent's for eyecandy usage (Alexandermb)

·       Norse ships updated (Alexandermb)- Drekar Added, Karvi Added, Knarr Updated and Snekkja Updated. 

Norse Ram + Eyecandy fence + tweaks (Alexandermb)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks a lot, @asterix ! :)

Enhanced Carolingian structure texture

• This was as collaborative work between Alexandermb and I (He baked the base texture enhancement and I tweaked it further)
New Byzantine Emblem
  • This was also a collaborative work between Alexandermb (Base texture) Lion.kanzen (.svg symbols) and me

Lastly, the Norse sentry tower changes was included in the Byzantines, it is on the top part of the list. :)

@asterix Also, when writing about the Carolingians, in my honest opinion, we should credit @stanislas69 for pioneering the work on them. :) He's done most of the templates and structures for them, and the initial units too. Faction contents for the Carolingians were already in the game for several alphas now. It was just that the development was slowed down.

He's French by the way, so he kinda represents the Franks, IMO :)

• Like 2