Others RTS - Discuss / Analysis

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If gameplay desing is the main objective then you need to see what others RPG has that RTS don't for example Warcraft 3 Heroes gameplay, Spellforce Hero gameplay, Mount and blade Bannerlord Siege game

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Genava55 said:

I love the way walls are placed.

Another thing I've noticed about a lot of RTS games, that 0 A.D. may be getting wrong, is that maps in other games are largely open space, allowing a lot of space for the player to build without the frustration of random trees or rocks blocking the way. Now, in Delenda Est I fixed this by allowing trees to be built over (the tree is removed). It just needs the tree to turn red when the building preview is waved over it and it would be feature complete. 

Also, maps in other games tend to have maybe 3 or 4 main terrain textures for that map and that's it. 0 A.D. currently may use way too many terrains per map. It's something I'm trying to fix with the new biomes, reduce the number of terrains, make them super textures so they can take up more of the terrain grid with less repeating pattern.

• Like 1
On 8/30/2020 at 10:51 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I love the way walls are placed.

Another thing I've noticed about a lot of RTS games, that 0 A.D. may be getting wrong, is that maps in other games are largely open space, allowing a lot of space for the player to build without the frustration of random trees or rocks blocking the way. Now, in Delenda Est I fixed this by allowing trees to be built over (the tree is removed). It just needs the tree to turn red when the building preview is waved over it and it would be feature complete. 

Also, maps in other games tend to have maybe 3 or 4 main terrain textures for that map and that's it. 0 A.D. currently may use way too many terrains per map. It's something I'm trying to fix with the new biomes, reduce the number of terrains, make them super textures so they can take up more of the terrain grid with less repeating pattern.

Well it really depends on the focus of the gameplay. Stronghold series is known to focus more on the buildings and the economy. The military is more about strategies than tactics, more about macro than micro. Siege defense also plays a big role, with a more dynamic system than 0AD and AoE. So everything stresses the need for open field and wide space.

At the opposite, I would say Ancestors Legacy is the perfect example of the reverse situation, focusing more on tactical decisions. Terrain diversity, closer field, chokepoints etc. this is clearly suited to the gameplay.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...