Others RTS - Discuss / Analysis

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

On 18/09/2022 at 12:38 AM, Genava55 said:

I think the hard/soft counter debate is meaningless for rts design, they are both legit choices depending on how those units are designed. first of all, a game can have both soft and hard counters, look at 0ad: sword cav is a soft counter for skirmishers, but siege towers are hard counters for archers, rams are for siege towers, and swordsmen are for rams...

I think that for some units it's good to only have soft counters. if it feels good for them, why not? take medium/heavy infantry in "realistic" rts games like total war: they are the bulk of most armies, and it's only right that, however you are going to face them, it will either take a lot of time or quite some losses to take them down. of course hard counters are also good if they are well designed, and can be very fun.

soft counters do lean towards snowballing, but some hard counters are enough to offset that I believe.

Edited by alre
  • Like 1

On 22/09/2022 at 6:39 PM, alre said:

I think the hard/soft counter debate is meaningless for rts design, they are both legit choices depending on how those units are designed.

In the case of a historical RTS, this is an important point because hard counters are generally unhistorical... although it is necessary to make compromises for a game, I find the article interesting for understanding the gameplay.

Edited by Genava55
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Genava55 said:

It would be amazing to see a multiplayer aspect added to the game. At least one where you can directly control military units. The villager control via buildings is a very nice system and the amount of realism is impressive, but not detrimental to gameplay.

Also, if you remember the camera zoom fiasco in aoe4, this game obviously puts it to shame.

manor lords looks really cool, ive only played a few games past years, im thinking of getting into it, even just for tetris worldbuilding aspect.Will it be expensive/demanding on the PC? @ValihrAnt wanna do gameplay video of manor lords, co-comentate with me? I can do your accent 9/10 if we do so.