• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/03/2021 at 9:12 PM, badosu said:

Great game: https://www.beyondallreason.info/

[Video]

Hey, I stumbled over this thread a couple days ago (checking up on the bigger Libre / Open Source RTS projects), and funnily, this post here got me checking out "BAR" - when actually my background is from the SpringRTS engine :P.

I'll introduce myself in separate thread!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Latest patch of Mount and Blade: Bannerlord (still in early access beta) supports battles as large as 1000 vs 1000. If you don't know it, bannerlord is a heck of a RPG game, that lets you play as a war lord slowly enlarging his/her army and his/her power. While battles and sieges are gorgeus experiences, I would say there is not a strong enphasis on tactics, but there is already good support for mods, and some talk about a RTS rework of the game.

I'm talking about this because bannerlord is not only a very interesting game itself, but it is very interesting, to me at least, that you can make battles that big with an engine that simulates them much more in depth than usual RTS games (complete computation of arrow trajectory, different armor for different parts of the body, weapon swings can miss or be blocked by obstacles like trees, soldiers can switch weapons and pick up ammo from the fallen, horse arches can only shoot at their left, and not their right, axes can break shields, npc can sometimes kick you or hit you with their shields...)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, Genava55 said:

What happened? Copyright issues?

Not really. As @The Undying Nephalim could tell you, migrating to another engine is tough, and requires either a lot of time, a lot of assistance, or both. And I suppose none of them had the energy or the time to make the switch.

They also had another concern, about protecting their art assets from stealing (which seemed to be a big issue for them), which is currently complicated in the main game. Since it's open source, even if you only provide PMD and PSA models, it's still possible to scrap the models. Password protected mods don't work either, because the game doesn't support them, and one could just hack the engine to get the files eventually.

The last issue they had was about adding a strategic campaign to the game like most total wars. While I believe it's technically possible, it might be tricky to switch from the strategic map to the actual battle. Probably not impossible though.

There was someone from https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-desolation-of-arda

And from https://www.moddb.com/mods/silmarillion-total-war1

• Like 2

• 2 months later...