Others RTS - Discuss / Analysis

@Genava55, I really enjoyed watching Keralis play and listening to his commentaries in ep.01 and 02. Surprisingly entertaining. I was thinking about posting it myself... Just saw that ep.03 is out, so I'm watching that tonight :P . The game looks really interesting. I like the slower pace. Like a more organic stone age banished. Lovely details. Lovely amount of depth. It would be a bit much for 0AD, but I don't think we should be shy to take some inspiration from it nonetheless. I like the naturally replenishing wildlife, and natural population growth combined with new arrivals. Seasonal farming. Options... The tech tree was nice too, and the minimalistic UI is nice. Pretty graphics as well. Needs a mini-map though. 

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Dawn of Man will be my next single player game once it’s released! I just watched keralis YouTube and it’s really awesome. Lively game with very nice map and realistic event up to advancement. I hope they will have factions like in 0ad.

One of the players last night said he is done with 0ad. Sad but he said the game becomes repetitive and got bored. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Servo said:

Dawn of Man will be my next single player game once it’s released! I just watched keralis YouTube and it’s really awesome. Lively game with very nice map and realistic event up to advancement. I hope they will have factions like in 0ad.

One of the players last night said he is done with 0ad. Sad but he said the game becomes repetitive and got bored. 

Dawn of man isn't a RTS. is a city builder with other mechanics.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/858810

Edited by Diatryma

27 minutes ago, Diatryma said:

Dawn of man isn't a RTS. is a city builder with other mechanics.

It is like Stronghold, a mixture between a RTS and a city builder or Empire at War, a mixture between a RTS and a RTT (Real-Time Tactics). Hard to see the limit between these concepts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genava55 said:

It is like Stronghold, a mixture between a RTS and a city builder or Empire at War, a mixture between a RTS and a RTT (Real-Time Tactics). Hard to see the limit between these concepts.

do you have a video where I can corroborate this for myself?  I don't see those big battles.

unless they are promises.....

Just now, Diatryma said:

do you have a video where I can corroborate this for myself?  I don't see those big battles.

unless they are promises.....

I was not clear. I am just saying that the limits between a city builder and a RTS is a bit blurry sometimes. City-builder games can borrow RTS concepts and RTS games can borrow city-builder concepts.

Dawn of Man have not huge battle, it is only about defending yourself against some waves. It is a city-builder but with a few RTS features in it.

• Like 1

0 A.D is more classical base building. this in other hand is called survival. in middle of both is Stronghold. in other side is city skylines or Jurassic World Evolution and management games like Theme Hospital ...etc. more close of 0 A.D is Starcraft and then MoBA like LoL but in other side are Total War gaming.

12 minutes ago, Diatryma said:

more close of 0 A.D is Starcraft and then MoBA like LoL

Spoiler

283054444_Nothanksmeme.thumb.jpg.6326a446b08be35417802d2de1361f1f.jpg

There are more direct comparisons, like the obvious AoE series, but also games like Rise of Nations, the Empire Earth series, Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War, Empires Apart, etc..

There are indeed vague similarities between all the games mentioned, and I think it's good to take inspiration from anything that could benefit this game, regardless of genre. Nothing extreme, of course. In essence 0AD will always be a historical, Classical RTS. But we can also try to expand the meaning of that.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Reveal hidden contents

283054444_Nothanksmeme.thumb.jpg.6326a446b08be35417802d2de1361f1f.jpg

There are more direct comparisons, like the obvious AoE series, but also games like Rise of Nations, the Empire Earth series, Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War, Empires Apart, etc..

There are indeed vague similarities between all the games mentioned, and I think it's good to take inspiration from anything that could benefit this game, regardless of genre. Nothing extreme, of course. In essence 0AD will always be a historical, Classical RTS. But we can also try to expand the meaning of that.  

uhh... what interesting coincidence same reaction. to servo comment.

Dawn of Man will be my next single player game once it’s released! I just watched keralis YouTube and it’s really awesome. Lively game with very nice map and realistic event up to advancement. I hope they will have factions like in 0ad.

One of the players last night said he is done with 0ad. Sad but he said the game becomes repetitive and got bored

that game wuold be realistic in many things but... I can't see historical immersion like 0 A.D.  but isn't overly realistic battle as TW.