Gameplay features A24

Lion.Kanzen

• 2 weeks later...

Things I would like to see in the upcoming versions, some of which I know are being worked on:

GUI

-- hotkeys for farms, other buildings

-- customization of hotkeys (down-scroll for idle villagers, shift+down-scroll for all idle villagers, up-scroll for idle military, etc.)

-- the ability to ping to locations on the map

Art

-- the cavalry are much improved from A22, but I would still like to see more of a gallop/run than a trot when attacking

-- some minor building fixes and improvements, but overall I think the art-work and detail on buildings, etc. is incredible

-- dynamic weather with varying effects on gameplay, such as wind affecting accuracy of ranged soldiers as one example

Gameplay

-- hard counters; too many games are predominantly slinger or skirmisher spam. This is unrealistic, as slingers, for example, would not be able to clump or effectively fight in close range, and melee cavalry or infantry would decimate them.

-- nerfing rams and seige catapults; some civs can get 7-8 seige catapults and obliterate entire armies, which is highly unrealistic

--  I like some of the formation/balancing mods and their focus on strengthening melee as this was the predominant form of fighting during this time period

-- continue the development of formations, with better path-finding and various tactical advantages/disadvantages to each formation. Also implementation of advantages/disadvantages to the direction of attack/defense (archers firing on backs of enemies deals greater damage than to front of hoplites with shields raised).

-- charging of melee infantry, cavalry, and elephants and trample damage for the latter two. Along these lines, I think cavalry and elephants should have insta-kill or at least heavy one-time damage for the front lines of whatever enemy is being charged and/or depending on the direction of the charge (into the back of an archer line). This could be used with a cool-down before re-use. Elephants should have splash damage.

-- a minor gripe; in almost every historical RTS, ranged units fire much too quickly. I would rather see a more realistic fire rate for archers, for instance, with higher damage with each fire

-- An ally resigning should not be turned into Gaia that can attack you

-- There should be no option to send resources to enemies unless there is some diplomatic advantage, or at least it should be a separate menu from donating to allies to avoid accidentally dumping resources to an opponent

-- implementation of a more complex diplomacy system, and I love the glory from Delenda Est as a resource. If I remember correctly, Rise of Nations had ways to win that weren't through military means

-- I do like the idea of battalions, as this gives the game a grander scope and makes battles seem more epic in scale

-- ultimately the ability to ambush in trees, implement weather and terrain more effectively, etc.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, l2edVipel2 said:

Art

-- the cavalry are much improved from A22, but I would still like to see more of a gallop/run than a trot when attacking

-- some minor building fixes and improvements, but overall I think the art-work and detail on buildings, etc. is incredible

-

---My topic is about gameplay only--- because we have art department discussions, but we have planned many features.

Yes counters must back.(again)

-- a minor gripe; in almost every historical RTS, ranged units fire much too quickly. I would rather see a more realistic fire rate for archers, for instance, with higher damage with each fire

-- An ally resigning should not be turned into Gaia that can attack you

-- There should be no option to send resources to enemies unless there is some diplomatic advantage, or at least it should be a separate menu from donating to allies to avoid accidentally dumping resources to an opponent 

-- implementation of a more complex diplomacy system, and I love the glory from Delenda Est as a resource. If I remember correctly, Rise of Nations had ways to win that weren't through military means

-- I do like the idea of battalions, as this gives the game a grander scope and makes battles seem more epic in scale

-- ultimately the ability to ambush in trees, implement weather and terrain more effectively, etc.

I don't see problem with diplomacy, advance diplomacy takes than one alpha.

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameplayFeatureStatus

• Like 1

1 hour ago, l2edVipel2 said:

-- hard counters; too many games are predominantly slinger or skirmisher spam. This is unrealistic, as slingers, for example, would not be able to clump or effectively fight in close range, and melee cavalry or infantry would decimate them.

Yes, hard counters ensure every unit is useful.

Yeah, uh, some elite archers in EA have something like a 0.6 second firing rate. Whaaaaaaat? Not every archer in antiquity was Lars Whatshisname or Legolas. 

The whole diplo screen needs redesigned. I can design something nice, but I have no skills to implement it.

Absolutely. Let's do this. Do you know any programmers? lol ;)  Yeah, I was watching a Battle for Middle Earth 2 campaign walkthrough the other day and I miss those cool battalions. Was playing Rome 2:Total War last night and missed the battalions.

-- ultimately the ability to ambush in trees

I proposed to allow certain civs, such as the Celtic and Iberian civs, the ability to allow their battalions to "garrison" into forest groves for an ambush effect. 1 or 2 battalions per grove. Forest Groves, such as those in DE, solve many issues and open up the possibility for interesting gameplay additions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Yeah, uh, some elite archers in EA have something like a 0.6 second firing rate. Whaaaaaaat? Not every archer in antiquity was Lars Whatshisname or Legolas. 

Kushite champion archers fire at a rate of 0.5 sec! It looks a little ridiculous... Just mentioning. @stanislas69

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I proposed to allow certain civs, such as the Celtic and Iberian civs, the ability to allow their battalions to "garrison" into forest groves for an ambush effect. 1 or 2 battalions per grove. Forest Groves, such as those in DE, solve many issues and open up the possibility for interesting gameplay additions.

Doesnt work without recompiling sadly. Else I could have rebase 3177 and made a mod out of it.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

The whole diplo screen needs redesigned. I can design something nice, but I have no skills to implement it.

Then why not do it and post the proposal at a ticket?There is always the chance that someone (Maybe @ffffffff ) will implement it.

21 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Please display everyone's current phase. A table overview would also be nice to keep track of diplomatic changes, e.g.:

×, 1, 2, 3, 4
1, ×, A, N, E
2, A, ×, E, N
3, N, E, ×, A
4, E, N, A, ×

5 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Please display everyone's current phase. A table overview would also be nice to keep track of diplomatic changes, e.g.:

×, 1, 2, 3, 4
1, ×, A, N, E
2, A, ×, E, N
3, N, E, ×, A
4, E, N, A, ×

That would be hard to integrate into one diplomacy screen with tribute and other info/features. What about as a tab or pop-up window accessed from the diplomacy screen?

6 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

That would be hard to integrate into one diplomacy screen with tribute and other info/features. What about as a tab or pop-up window accessed from the diplomacy screen?

A pop-up when your cursor hovers over the "change stance" area or a button below to toggle advanced diplomacy overview would be fine by me; I have no idea how to implement it though :)

18 hours ago, Nescio said:

I wanted some overview also about the unit composition of oneself, possibly of allies too. Like 10 trade carts, 20 infantry, 30 houses, 2 civic centers (with buttons showing these entities upon click or something), perhaps that would be logically related and could be shonw in the same screen. Also needs scrolling I guess.

9 hours ago, elexis said:

I wanted some overview also about the unit composition of oneself, possibly of allies too. Like 10 trade carts, 20 infantry, 30 houses, 2 civic centers (with buttons showing these entities upon click or something), perhaps that would be logically related and could be shonw in the same screen. Also needs scrolling I guess.

All of this stuff, including other traditional diplomacy screen stuff, can't fit on one screen, so there will need to be some kind of tabbing or extra windows. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ffffffff said:

yes with cycle through that entities and/or selection or selection and cycle in camera view upon click

There is a patch on Trac for that. If someone feels like rebasing it... For a cof fee 

• Like 2