Gameplay features A24

Lion.Kanzen

6 hours ago, Trinketos said:

I not remember, maybe in alpha 1 or in the last prealpha.

9 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Could you check ?

It would have to be pre-alpha, I think, since the Alphas started with @Ykkrosh's new simulation rewrite that got rid of a lot of older features, like running and charging and slotting CCs onto settlements (I'm not sure if this ever really worked right).

But yeah, slotting would be a very useful feature indeed if it could be used to "claim" salt mines and stuff like that by building a Storehouse onto a slot.

44 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Right, just imagine a Starcraft mod or something using that kind of feature for Vespene Gas mines. Hell, I'd love to add something like that to DE, where you claim Stone Quarries and Metal Mine Shafts by building a Storehouse on a slot.

I'm gonna need this too for my own mod. I'm going through all the previous alphas to see if it was ever done.

I guess that settles it. Any ideas for a more generic name ? Or does it fit being extended to other objects ?

function Settlement() {}

Settlement.prototype.Schema =
	"<empty/>";

Engine.RegisterComponentType(IID_Settlement, "Settlement", Settlement);

/*
 * TODO: the vague plan is that this should keep track of who currently owns the settlement,
 * and some other code can detect this (or get notified of changes) when it needs to.
 * A civcenter's BuildRestrictions component will see that it's being built on this settlement,
 * call MoveOutOfWorld on us (so we're invisible and only the building is visible/selectable),
 * tell us that its player owns us, and move us back into our original position when the building
 * is destroyed. Don't know if that's a sensible plan, though.
 */

EDIT : It should be in Build Restrictions actually

function BuildRestrictions() {}

BuildRestrictions.prototype.Schema =
	"<element name='PlacementType'>" +
		"<choice>" +
			"<value>standard</value>" +
			"<value>settlement</value>" +
		"</choice>" + // TODO: add special types for fields, docks, walls
	"</element>" +
	"<element name='Territory'>" +
		"<choice>" +
			"<value>all</value>" +
			"<value>allied</value>" +
		"</choice>" +
	"</element>" +
	"<optional>" +
		"<element name='Category'>" +
			"<choice>" +
				"<value>CivilCentre</value>" +
				"<value>House</value>" +
				"<value>ScoutTower</value>" +
				"<value>Farmstead</value>" +
				"<value>Market</value>" +
				"<value>Barracks</value>" +
				"<value>Dock</value>" +
				"<value>Fortress</value>" +
				"<value>Field</value>" +
				"<value>Special</value>" +
			"</choice>" +
		"</element>" +
	"</optional>";
	// TODO: add phases, prerequisites, etc

/*
 * TODO: the vague plan for Category is to add some BuildLimitManager which
 * specifies the limit per category, and which can determine whether you're
 * allowed to build more (based on the number in total / per territory / per
 * civ center as appropriate)
 */

/*
 * TODO: the vague plan for PlacementType is that it may restrict the locations
 * and orientations of new construction work (e.g. civ centers must be on settlements,
 * docks must be on shores), which affects the UI and the build permissions
 */

Engine.RegisterComponentType(IID_BuildRestrictions, "BuildRestrictions", BuildRestrictions);

11 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Right, just imagine a Starcraft mod or something using that kind of feature for Vespene Gas mines. Hell, I'd love to add something like that to DE, where you claim Stone Quarries and Metal Mine Shafts by building a Storehouse on a slot.

or building a temple in a sacred place

• Like 1

Bribes. I really like this feature. Anyhow, making bribable units other than traders or maybe the trader that was selected for the bribe gives over the resources (without the other players knowledge) it is carrying till the end of game/killed. Another player had suggested mercenaries since they hold no allegiance. I think it would be neat if players had the ability to bribe heros for xyz amount(high treason).

21 minutes ago, Palaiologos said:

I think it would be neat if players had the ability to bribe heros for xyz amount(high treason).

I think hero assasination would be more fitting. Assasins could be high-cost single use units. Something similiar to the special forces (just a scout with special abilities) units in Rise of Nations.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, (-_-) said:

Something similiar to the special forces (just a scout with special abilities) units in Rise of Nations

Am unfamiliar with this game :/

3 minutes ago, (-_-) said:

I think hero assassination would be more fitting. Assassins could be high-cost single use units

Trying to envision how you mean. So its not exactly a bribe, you wouldn't end up bribing a desired unit(s) near the hero that would turn against him/her? I kinda see what your saying. Just a single trainable unit?

8 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Tweaking build_restrictions.js and adding that component might work

I imagine something that would designate a coordinate and then designate class(es) of building that can be placed.

EDIT: A "snapping" effect would be nice too. See how that happens with wall connectors.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 3

<slottable>
  <templates>
    fndn|athen_civ_center
    wrld_settlement
  </templates>
  <destroyedwhenreplaced>true</destroyedwhenreplaced> // If not when the building is destroyed, it will be replaced by the original thing
  <neutralwhenbuilt>true</neutralwhenbuilt> // Set the ownership to gaia unless we have a specific player or find a way not to be attackable
  <indestructiblewhenbuilt>true</indestructiblewhenbuilt> // Should probably not be there.
</slottable>
<slottable>
  <buildingClasses>
    Civic+Center
  </buildingClasses>
  <destroyedwhenreplaced>true</destroyedwhenreplaced> // If not when the building is destroyed, it will be replaced by the original thing
  <neutralwhenbuilt>true</neutralwhenbuilt> // Set the ownership to gaia unless we have a specific player or find a way not to be attackable
  <indestructiblewhenbuilt>true</indestructiblewhenbuilt> // Should probably not be there.
</slottable>