Stoas and champions

av93

@Hannibal_Barca & @Grugnas

You don't really need my agreement on anything. I'm just here to provide the historically accurate information and references.

That having said, indeed, Apedemak temples are not Amun-temples, not by a long shot, regardless of the very superficial similarity. It's super-awkward to "upgrade" from one god to another god... The way the game portrays them now is perfect. I'm not sure which phases they become buildable, but it makes sense to leave the Amun temple for the city phase, and add an important tech, like "overseer of works", to merit building it. Organizing labour, managing plantations, training artisans and even call the men of the land including the King himself to arms were some of the duties of the priests of Amun. This way you'd also get information on the state of an opponent: Amun temple = city phase. Kush was probably one of the most theocratic civilizations in the game, and "only" 2 temples is a good approximation of this. Apedemak is so quintessentially Meroitic that excluding him would be "wrong". He's second only to Amun, and personified the (military) power of the Meroitic King. The temples are way smaller, so it's perfect for town-phase. Also: Lion-God... a God... That's a lion... I mean, yo... How cool is that!?!

As for the pyramids, I've said before I'm totally open to whichever way you want to feature them. 2 different types of pyramids was never a necessity or request from my side, but the variation is nice. Having one structure with 4 variants (like the houses), works just as fine for me...

4 hours ago, Hannibal_Barca said:

Not the same icon, maybe only your mind gets confused.

You still don't get the historical point of view, @Sundiata the creator of Kushite civilization would never agree and we owe him this much.

It would be nice to have more axemen in the game.

Dear Hannibal, i meant that Amon temple and Apedemak have the same icons. It isn't relevant though as those are just icons. What is way more relevant is that there are 2 buildings, basically acting at same way, that may be avoided. While it is not the case of the temples, as romans also have 2 different type of temples ( one has 1 entity limit though ).

The pyramids are basically the same building with different size and an additional aura effect.

Would be nice to merge those 2 pyramids in 1 unique upgradeable building, which actually requires some city planning. I am not asking to remove a redundant building, I am just asking to let a building upgrade into another one which seems not compromise any history detail, isntead of let it be just an optional feature like happens for sentry tower upgrade.

• Like 1

I have actually suggested this idea before. Imo, it might be better to restrict 1 temple based on a choice that have to be taken. For example, a paired tech that unlocks the temple.

However,  it might not be a good idea considering the history?

5 hours ago, (-_-) said:

I have actually suggested this idea before. Imo, it might be better to restrict 1 temple based on a choice that have to be taken. For example, a paired tech that unlocks the temple.

However,  it might not be a good idea considering the history?

Indeed, the suggestion came up before. Wowgetoffyourcellphone also suggested it if I'm not wrong. I've flirted with the idea of a paired tech for the temples myself. I personally think it's really nice to have both structures be buildable, but perhaps it does brake too much with the other civs... It's not totally unhistorical because there were towns with both an Amun temple and an Apedemak temple, but there were also towns which only had one of the two temples.  

One issue is that the temples have different build-costs (which they should have), and should have different techs.. Amun temple should have an important civic tech. Lion-temple could have a modest military tech (Apedemak is a war-god, among other things). But that might actually make the choice more interesting.

I leave it up to you guys..

If the axe and sword champions will be differentiated, imo it would be nice to see both

Sure, both get the limit of 1 and the player may choose to "favour" one of the gods by means of a pair tech

On one hand you get the normal costing temple with axe champions (whatever they will do, also there is a hero to bonus these), on the other you choose the expensive and bulky Amun temples with the traditional sword champion

As for max 1 Amun temple I agree it would be nice to limit such a huge structure and also its champions since Kush already got enough

(This discussion closed on this thread due to not being in the least related to the actual topic)

Edited by Hannibal_Barca
  • Like 1