A23 little bugs and glitches

I just wanted to make a little thread with some small bugs, glitches and annoyances which are currently present in SVN and thus likely relevant for A23.

Let's start with two issues:

• in gamesetup when the window is higher than wide, the settings take too much space, thus leaving to little space for the chat (see attached screenshot)
  • the "Babylonian Scythed Chariot" the persians have available got a new "walking" sound (maybe other units as well). While that sounds fine for single units it sounds horrible if there are more than a dozen units walking at once.

screenshot0024.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stanislas69 said:

Sound issue was fixed this morning :)

Awesome. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, feneur said:

What are the dimensions of the window?

Same as the dimension of the picture, so 1278x1368.

That's half of my screen in width and the full height of my screen minus status bar and window decoration. That's the setup I usually use in gamesetup before I switch to full screen when the game starts.

2 hours ago, Dunedan said:

in gamesetup when the window is higher than wide, the settings take too much space, thus leaving to little space for the chat (see attached screenshot)

That's semi-intended. We have to consider that the translations can take up more space than english. Besides that some mapnames are much longer than others and if you'd auto-compute the minium size, then the entire layout would change all the time.

IMO it should use some table style, some lines and the gamedescription should dispaly the complete state so that one doesnt have to open the tabs to begin with if one has readonly access.

Happy to have just recently. 

It loads quite grayish (maybe my frame rate is still slow) in the beginning and/or because I start at .1 x speed. But I guess if I quit it goes normal.  Same as the pictures on the screen while it’s on percent loading. Lagging seems improved though I played on .75x speed (which imo a very good pace than normal). 

My initial impression is very nice if not awesome! Thank God the melee cavs are at 2.0 attack rate at least and the animations are really nice!

The unit stats seems very interesting! 

Btw is it intended that units come out of the production structure from any part (of the structure) that’s closest to the rally point disregarding doorways?

Edited by Servo

4 minutes ago, Servo said:

Happy to have just recently. 

It loads quite grayish (maybe my frame rate is still slow) in the beginning and/or because I start at .1 x speed. But I guess if I quit it goes normal.  Same as the pictures on the screen while it’s on percent loading. Lagging seems improved though I played on .75x speed (which imo a very good pace than normal). 

My initial impression is very nice if not awesome! Thank God the melee cavs are at 2.0 attack rate at least and the animations are really nice!

The unit stats seems very interesting! 

Btw is it intended that units come out of the production structure from any part (of the structure) that’s closest to the rally point?

Is normal when you are loading from 0 the svn again. 

Tried some stuff with mixed a22 and a23 code/lobby. Seems like it basically works properly. So opening a22 lobby in a23 shows all games greyed out as it would do for incompatible mods as well I guess. There are some small bugs though. While the mixed a22/a23 case isn't relevant I guess they are valid when listing mods as well:

• Selecting a running a22-game in an a23-lobby causes the following error message to be shown:
WARNING: JavaScript warning: gui/common/gamedescription.js line 466
reference to undefined property playerData.AIBehavior
  • Trying to join a a22-game in an a23-lobby causes the following error message to be shown:
ERROR: JavaScript error: gui/lobby/lobby.js line 1181
SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected end of data at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data
  joinButton@gui/lobby/lobby.js:1181:24
  __eventhandler165 (mouseleftdoubleclickitem)@gamesBox mouseleftdoubleclickitem:0:1

or (if you clicked the join button instead of double clicking):

ERROR: JavaScript error: gui/lobby/lobby.js line 1181
SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected end of data at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data
  joinButton@gui/lobby/lobby.js:1181:24
  __eventhandler160 (press)@joinGameButton press:0:1

23 minutes ago, Dunedan said:

Found a little graphics glitch. Notice how the text isn't properly rendered.

screenshot0027.thumb.png.c9008119edaa1f122b00d5cf648ed541.png

That would be something for @s0600204. (That language seen on that screenshot  is german).

About a22 games in a23, we don't have any sanitization for displaying lobby game attributes. The clients might send any kind of garbage and we get JSON errors repeated. Usually we solve this problem by removing the broken game, but it's probably better to add conditions all over the place in the long run.

> The clients might send any kind of garbage and we get JSON errors repeated. Usually we solve this problem by removing the broken game, but it's probably better to add conditions all over the place in the long run.

Clients should never show such errors in case they receive garbage in my opinion, as that's a sign of insufficient input validation (input as in data received) which can also be an wide open door for vulnerabilities, especially as it's input received via network. And we already had such a problem at least once. So I'm definitely in favor of adding proper input validation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elexis said:

That would be something for @s0600204. (That language seen on that screenshot  is german).

About a22 games in a23, we don't have any sanitization for displaying lobby game attributes. The clients might send any kind of garbage and we get JSON errors repeated. Usually we solve this problem by removing the broken game, but it's probably better to add conditions all over the place in the long run.

But but, you didn't wanted my paste fixing the mod parse thingy...

1 hour ago, s0600204 said:

*cough* D844

Oh I had never seen it ingame. The hack seemed to work for me. So it's something for @vladislavbelov then.

38 minutes ago, Imarok said:

But but, you didn't wanted my paste fixing the mod parse thingy...

The GUI backwards compatibility for replays and savegames is kind of useless, but for the lobby an attacker could deny the service with broken JSON. But it will be quite a lot of code to address every possible issue that could arise in gamedescription. It would be quite ugly so meh. We never had someone trying to be that funny and if, then he would be banned. Damage would be quite limited (meh)

• 2 weeks later...