Skirmish map - Egypt (previously "Egypt condensed")

mimesot

befor -> before

located -> located,

"Balancing is achieved by" not a fan thereof, but whatever

Please base your further updates to the map committed in svn, at least the updates that I should commit to the repository.

Some properties I had removed creeped in again, AISeed BaseHeight BaseTerrain and the name shouldn't be Egypt condensed (vX variant Y). (The easiest fix will be fixing these property changes rather than redoing the entity updates)

(Also a link here instead of the first post would make it easier to find the correct file, at least for me)

If you want to play a bit with the terrain elevation to make that line disappear, that would be appreciated.

Aegyptos sounds good to me.

On 10.3.2018 at 12:15 PM, elexis said:

befor -> before

located -> located,

"Balancing is achieved by" not a fan thereof, but whatever

Please base your further updates to the map committed in svn, at least the updates that I should commit to the repository.

Some properties I had removed creeped in again, AISeed BaseHeight BaseTerrain and the name shouldn't be Egypt condensed (vX variant Y). (The easiest fix will be fixing these property changes rather than redoing the entity updates)

(Also a link here instead of the first post would make it easier to find the correct file, at least for me)

Sorry, i didn't notice that anyone else was editing the map files.

I will provide version 0.20.8 asap. Hopefilly this evening. After that i will switch to svn updates each time I start the map editor.

How can I provide a Link? Where shall I place the source file?

12 hours ago, elexis said:

Don't worry, it's too late now but I have committed your map description and map changes. :focus: Keeping egypt. The names like necropolis needed capitalization. A bit long, but the map deserves it. Gj.

Hmm. Did I really miss a deadline? I hope you adapted the name Aigyptos by nescio. What version did you actually commit. I hope it is 0.20.7 because there were some really relevant changes.

11 hours ago, elexis said:

There are still many flora and fauna owned by players btw. I guess they'll get a funny "you have been attacked by" message when the poor trees are chopped.

Noted down.

Yep, 0.20.7. I went with the ' or just keep “Egypt”' proposal by Nescio.

We can still do changes to the maps, just no more string changes.

It should be possible to replace the owners for the flora and fauna owned by players from command line. Not sure how now though.

Hi!

On 3/13/2018 at 12:15 PM, elexis said:

Yep, 0.20.7. I went with the ' or just keep “Egypt”' proposal by Nescio.

Thanks. I am perfectly happy with Egypt as well.

We can still do changes to the maps, just no more string changes.

Please tell me what you mean by string changes. In my understanding string is any array of characters, like a map name in contrast to e.g. coordinates.

Regarding this I found the map name to currently be "Egypt (4)" while it is a 6 player map in its current state.

It should be possible to replace the owners for the flora and fauna owned by players from command line. Not sure how now though.

As the map consists of 99,9% gaia entity objects, it would be the fastest way to open the xml with a text editor, replace <Player>[1-6]</Player> with <Player>0</Player> and then reassign the few player entity objects to their correct player again using the editor. Takes me probably half an hour. Do you want me to perform the changes?

(Writing a small Python script to do that would be much more fun, but I think it would probably cost me more time)

Greetings
mimesot

Edited by mimesot

Hi,

I was in the mood to update my map, so I made some design detail changes and repaired a few mistakes. The file is attatched to the first post.

screenshot0004.thumb.png.bcf3ee06b7d3f00d301d0db12f9ce9d2.png

A fence placed in order to make citizen feel more comfy on the cliffs of the persian town.

screenshot0007.thumb.png.f79c3e6b056a088d5c4a88e1edcd0bd8.png

The red sea now has sime underwater structure.

screenshot0001.thumb.png.bf2856e8b787b7edffec319fa11483dd.png

And I just realized that the map on the first page is very ountdated ... it did not even contain the Kushite town.

Greetings and everyone have a happy new year!

mimesot

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Thanls a lot folks!

2 hours ago, FeXoR said:

...so what's left to do? :1eye:

Well, I guess it is a work I will regularly find things to improve on.

Things that come to my mind depend on other things than map editing alone

• Balancing (requires some play throughs with experienced players and is not really pressing)
  • A fixed sky box. I missed the opportunity to make areas of high mountains around the playground in order to hide the black circular area around the map. Screenshots look stupid if the horizon gets black towards its lower edge before it hits the ground. (probably needs technical changes)
  • Some paths are very small and have a width of 1 block. They can be traversed by most infantry and horse cavalery but not by bigger units and the AI gets stuck inside such areas quite often.

Kind regards

mimesot

Yes, this map definitely can be improved from a gameplay perspective and I agree with all your points. (I'd consider it a mixture of a beautiful sandbox skrimish great for single player and a somewhat playable multiplayer map.)

If you have changed the map so you feel it's the next step worth committing you can always add a patch to phabricator or trac to be reviewed to become part the official game ;)

(Since I was called I thought there was an urgent need to update this map in the official repository but even after close comparison I couldn't find any difference between Egypt_1_0_7 in your fist post and "Egypt (3v3)" in the current SVN version. But it's absolutely possible I missed something for I only did check in Atlas.)

13 minutes ago, FeXoR said:

(Since I was called I thought there was an urgent need to update this map in the official repository but even after close comparison I couldn't find any difference between Egypt_1_0_7 in your fist post and "Egypt (3v3)" in the current SVN version. But it's absolutely possible I missed something for I only did check in Atlas.)

Oh no. That were just some tiny aesthetical changes. Riverbanks with more vegetation, Underwater design with rocks, Road textures, fences,...

But if someone is willing to discuss balancing with me that would be totally awesome, and I would love to contribute a balanced version to alpha 24 one day.

16 hours ago, Loki1950 said:

That discussion takes place during the review process for the patch @FeXoR mentioned ;)

Hi,

wait, what are you talking about ... i seem to have missed something. Just for clarification, I am talking about balancing for the map, not the overall game - just in case. Or do you mean a discussion on the patch created in the process of submission of the map which is then going to be discussed. But in order to make changes noteworthy enough for issuing a submission I would rather need a discussion beforehand, don't you think? Sorry if I am confusing things right now.

Greetings

mimesot

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

is there a way to increase the hight level of the whole map? (the water level is no issue as it can easily changed manually). The reason behind my question is, I would like to get rid of the parts of the skymap which fade to black on the bottom end and therefore are quite disturbing in flat angle screenshots.

I guess it would need a bit of coding and I'm not shy of writing a small script myself. But in order to do so I would need some documentation on how the files containing textures and hight information are built. It possibly involves a process which is the reverse from importing a highmap to the editor. Is there anybody, who can help me with some information?

Thanks in advance and greetings!

mimesot

9 hours ago, mimesot said:

Hi everyone,

is there a way to increase the hight level of the whole map? (the water level is no issue as it can easily changed manually). The reason behind my question is, I would like to get rid of the parts of the skymap which fade to black on the bottom end and therefore are quite disturbing in flat angle screenshots.

I guess it would need a bit of coding and I'm not shy of writing a small script myself. But in order to do so I would need some documentation on how the files containing textures and hight information are built. It possibly involves a process which is the reverse from importing a highmap to the editor. Is there anybody, who can help me with some information?

Thanks in advance and greetings!

mimesot

The skybox has been improved in the dev version. You might want to try it. As for your initial question not to my knowledge however you might be able to do what you want if you have a height map. I'm not sure you can export and import ones in Atlas. If you can you just have to change the levels and reimport the height map. If not you'd need to write a script to change all the height in the PMP file and that will probably meds your map up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

{
  "BaseHeight": 0, // Change this one!!
  "BaseTerrain": [
    "medit_rocks_grass"
  ],
  "CircularMap": true,
  "Description": "A demo Skirmish map.",
  "Keywords": [
    "demo"
  ],
  "LockTeams": false,
  "Name": "Skirmish Demo",
  "PlayerData": [
    {},
    {
      "AI": ""
    }
  ],
  "Preview": "",
  "RevealMap": false,
  "Size": 192,
  "VictoryConditions": []
}

That's the map settings part in the xml file.

Would it actually fix it? I don't know. But it should.

No, it would not. Thank the person who actually checked it. (Not me)

If anyone is interested in removing unused stuff from map files, here is a list. One might also bother checking those maps, because Skirmish Demo.xml is broken. Unless of course, it was intended for the map to be underwater. Others may be too, I didn't bother checking anything else.

Sandbox - Iberians.xml:41:  "BaseHeight": 0,
Sandbox - Romans.xml:41:  "BaseHeight": 1,
Treasure Islands.xml:41:  "BaseHeight": 0,
Sandbox - Seleucids.xml:41:  "BaseHeight": 1,
Triggers_demo.xml:41:  "BaseHeight": -100,
Azure Coast.xml:41:  "BaseHeight": 0,
Azure Coast(2).xml:29:  "BaseHeight": 0,
Azure Coast(4).xml:29:  "BaseHeight": 0,
Cinema_Demo.xml:42:  "BaseHeight": 1,
Skirmish Demo.xml:41:  "BaseHeight": 0,
Persian Highlands (4).xml:41:  "BaseHeight": 10,
Zagros Mountains (2).xml:41:  "BaseHeight": 0,
Golden Oasis (2).xml:41:  "BaseHeight": 1,
Corsica and Sardinia (4).xml:41:  "BaseHeight": -8,

Do note that the BaseHeight in random maps are totally different. Unless they are in *.json files.

Hi there,

thanks a lot for your replys.

On 1/11/2019 at 9:58 AM, stanislas69 said:

The skybox has been improved in the dev version. You might want to try it. As for your initial question not to my knowledge however you might be able to do what you want if you have a height map. I'm not sure you can export and import ones in Atlas.

Yeah, its time t install SVN again :-)

Indeed such an hightmap export tool would be an ideal solution.

On 1/11/2019 at 2:14 PM, (-_-) said:

That's the map settings part in the xml file.

Awesomt that you looked up that information for me so quickly.

On 1/12/2019 at 5:19 AM, (-_-) said:

No, it would not. Thank the person who actually checked it. (Not me)

Oh. Thanks nevertheless. And of course thanks to the unknown one.

So, I guess I need to have a look at the source code of the hight import to get to the necessary information, right?

Best regards

mimesot