Gameplay Issues for OSX Users

Hello everyone,

I would like to mention some issues for ios users,

1- Magic mouse is a pain in the as. while playing the game. it's very easy to rotate the camera view just by one finger mismove. Maybe there should be an extra key to rotate the view like cmd+mouse rotate.

2- Links doesn't work in the lobby.

3- Lots of hotkeys doesn't work or there are other characters on mac. Ctrl+c, Ctrl+v...  I've made a list below,

Global

Alt + F4: Close the game, without confirmation. (lol doesn't work)

F11: Enable/disable real-time profiler (toggles through the displays of information). (idk what this is for but it goes to desktop)

Shift + F11: Save current profiler data to "logs/profile.txt". (now it goes to desktop slowly)

Tab, Alt + S: Switch to the next tab. (doesn't work)

Shift + Tab, Alt + W: Switch to the previous tab. (shift+tab doesn't work but when you press alt+w you can see the game as wireframe)

When entering text

Ctrl + C: Copy the selected text. (doesn't work)
Ctrl + X: Cut the selected text and put it into clipboard. (doesn't work)
Ctrl + V: Paste what's in the clipboard (it might be copied from text entered previously in-game or from another program). (doesn't work)
Ctrl + Backspace: Delete the word to the left of the cursor. (doesn't work)
Ctrl + Del: Delete the word to the right of the cursor. (doesn't work)
Ctrl + left: Move the cursor to the start of the word to the left of the cursor. (it just selects that's it)

Ctrl + rightMove the cursor to the start of the word to the right of the cursor. (it just selects that's it)

In Game

F12: Show time elapsed since the beginning of the game. (it goes to dashboard)

Pause: Pause/resume the game. (nothing happens when you press the pause button)

Delete: Delete currently selected units/buildings. (backspace or cmd+backspace doesn't delete anything)

Shift + Delete: Delete currently selected units/buildings without confirmation. (delete doesn't work so this either)

Shift + 1 (- 0): Add control group 1 (- 0) to the current selection. (it adds the current selection but doesn't save it. There is a need to use also ctrl key to add extra units a group like ctrl+shift+1-0 after selection)

/ (ForwardSlash): Select idle fighter. (nothing happens when you press the pause button)

Shift + /: Add idle fighter to selection. (forwardslash doesn't work so this either)

Alt + /: Select all idle fighters.  (forwardslash doesn't work so this either)

Alt + .: Select all idle workers (including citizen soldiers). (it does select all idle workers but not champions. Actually, it selects women and soldiers but not champs)

\ (BackSlash): Select idle unit. (there is no obvious button on the keyboard for this)

Shift + \: Add idle unit to selection.  (backslash doesn't work so this either)

Alt + \: Select all idle units.   (backslash doesn't work so this either)

PageUp: With units selected: highlights the units/buildings guarded by the selection. (there is no such a thing like page up/down on the keyboard)

PageDown: With units/buildings selected: highlights the units guarding the selection.  (there is no such a thing like page up/down on the keyboard)

Ctrl + Tab: Toggle summary window. (there is no difference between TAB and ctrl+TAB)

Alt + L: Show the multiplayer lobby in a dialog window.  (there is no difference between L and ALT+L)

Ctrl + P: Toggle in-game tutorial panel. (idk what is this for but it doesn't work)

Modify mouse action

Alt + Any Order: Only one unit from the current selection receives the order, and is unselected. (doesn't work)

Shift + Left Click: On garrisoned unit/s: Ungarrison all units of the same type. (doesn't work)

Alt +Y+ Left Drag: Over units on map: Only select non-military units. (there is no difference between ALT+Left drag and this )

I + Left Drag: Over units on map: Only select idle units.  (doesn't work)

O + Left Drag: Over units on map: Only select wounded units. (doesn't work)

Ctrl + Right Click: On the selected building with a building/buildings selected: sets the rally point for units created from that building to garrison inside the building.  (doesn't work)

Overlays and developer options

Alt +Z: Hide/show sky. (i couln't be sure about this other hotkeys work very well in this group)

Camera manipulation

Shift + Mouse Wheel Rotate Up: Rotate camera clockwise around terrain. (there is no such a thing it rotates by one finger mismove like hell)
Shift + Mouse Wheel Rotate Down: Rotate camera anticlockwise around terrain. (there is no such a thing it rotates by one finger mismove like hell)

+: Zoom in (keep pressed for continuous zoom). (doesn't work but it's very easy to do this with one backward move on the mouse)
-: Zoom out (keep pressed for continuous zoom). (doesn't work but it's very easy to do this with one forward move on the mouse)

Middle Mouse Button: Keep pressed and move the mouse to pan. (ummm... nope)

During Building Placement

[: Rotate building 15 degrees counter-clockwise. (doesn't work)
]: Rotate building 15 degrees clockwise. (doesn't work)

Edited by HMS-Surprise
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, HMS-Surprise said:

Delete: Delete currently selected units/buildings. (backspace or cmd+backspace doesn't delete anything)

Shift + Delete: Delete currently selected units/buildings without confirmation. (delete doesn't work so this either)

Is there no Delete key on a Mac keyboard? This is not implemented to work with the Backspace key, but with the Delete key that is next to the Insert, Home, End etc keys on a PC keyboard.

Shift + 1 (- 0): Add control group 1 (- 0) to the current selection. (it adds the current selection but doesn't save it. There is a need to use also ctrl key to add extra units a group like ctrl+shift+1-0 after selection)

It is indeed just meant to add the control grouped units to the current selection, not to add anything to the control group. As you write it should work to just press the create control group keys though, so there's a way to do what you want :)

Are you possibly using a laptop or something? It seems like you're not using a "full keyboard". From looking into Mac keyboards it seems like most are,  so I guess it's quite a big issue. :unsure: The shortcuts can be customized, but with fewer keys there are of course fewer options, so you might have to put some more thought into it.

You can change the keyboard shortcuts by following the instructions on this page: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Manual_Settings

1 hour ago, feneur said:

Is there no Delete key on a Mac keyboard? This is not implemented to work with the Backspace key, but with the Delete key that is next to the Insert, Home, End etc keys on a PC keyboard.

It is indeed just meant to add the control grouped units to the current selection, not to add anything to the control group. As you write it should work to just press the create control group keys though, so there's a way to do what you want :)

Are you possibly using a laptop or something? It seems like you're not using a "full keyboard". From looking into Mac keyboards it seems like most are,  so I guess it's quite a big issue. :unsure: The shortcuts can be customized, but with fewer keys there are of course fewer options, so you might have to put some more thought into it.

You can change the keyboard shortcuts by following the instructions on this page: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Manual_Settings

* There is a delete key on the keyboard but it depends where you do it. it's generally backspace key otherwise it's cmd+backspace. 

* I've an imac. there is actually one common keyboard with imacs and it's the small one. there are no extra keys on the right of the keyboard like numbers and stuffs. I mean, my keyboard is the common one.

* i couldn't find that .cfg file under  ~/Library/Application Support/0ad folder. so i cannot change anything.

3 minutes ago, HMS-Surprise said:

i couldn't find that .cfg file under  ~/Library/Application Support/0ad folder. so i cannot change anything.

Now I'm not an expert on the Mac side of things, so I could be wrong, but I think that is where you put the local.cfg file that you create yourself. I'm not sure where to find the default.cfg on a Mac, but in either case, you can just follow the link on the wiki page to the one there and copy the lines into your own version. Be aware that the file on the wiki is updated to the development version, so don't just copy all of it. It should be fine if you just copy and edit the things you can already use in the release version though, and I hope (though please wait for someone else's confirmation if you want to be sure) that changing a hotkey for something that isn't implemented will just not do anything, it shouldn't break anything.

Your search foo is lacking: https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/15436-android-port/&page=11&tab=comments#comment-299683

Apart from that OSX/macOS/oohShiny is the system with the worst support you could try to run the game on, and that is not only related to those boxes really liking uncommon input methods. Though I guess for a few of those shortcuts you could try with cmd, or the actual ctrl key.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HMS-Surprise said:

Hello everyone,

I would like to mention some issues for ios users,

1- Magic mouse is a pain in the as. while playing the game. it's very easy to rotate the camera view just by one finger mismove. Maybe there should be an extra key to rotate the view like cmd+mouse rotate.

2- Links doesn't work in the lobby.

3- Lots of hotkeys doesn't work or there are other characters on mac. Ctrl+c, Ctrl+v...  I've made a list below,

Global

Alt + F4: Close the game, without confirmation. (lol doesn't work)

F11: Enable/disable real-time profiler (toggles through the displays of information). (idk what this is for but it goes to desktop)

Shift + F11: Save current profiler data to "logs/profile.txt". (now it goes to desktop slowly)

Tab, Alt + S: Switch to the next tab. (doesn't work)

Shift + Tab, Alt + W: Switch to the previous tab. (shift+tab doesn't work but when you press alt+w you can see the game as wireframe)

Did you try Alt+Tab or Alt gr+Enter?  sometimes i am not able to change window unless i do not open the terminal ( or whatever application ) with keyboard shortcuts.

When entering text

Ctrl + C: Copy the selected text. (doesn't work)
Ctrl + X: Cut the selected text and put it into clipboard. (doesn't work)
Ctrl + V: Paste what's in the clipboard (it might be copied from text entered previously in-game or from another program). (doesn't work)
Ctrl + Backspace: Delete the word to the left of the cursor. (doesn't work)
Ctrl + Del: Delete the word to the right of the cursor. (doesn't work)
Ctrl + left: Move the cursor to the start of the word to the left of the cursor. (it just selects that's it)

Ctrl + rightMove the cursor to the start of the word to the right of the cursor. (it just selects that's it)

You should use cmd instead of Ctrl and eventually press the same combination more times to get it working. I am not sure why, but it looks like the buffer containing the copied text is updated after you press a second time. Matter of fact, whenever i try to copy paste text, i am able to paste the previously copied text instead of the latest one ( which requires an extra cmd + v to get it pasted).

Those hotkeys work only if you copy a text you typed in chat or if you copy text from external pages. You can't really copy text written by other users in game or in lobby.

In Game

F12: Show time elapsed since the beginning of the game. (it goes to dashboard)

Pause: Pause/resume the game. (nothing happens when you press the pause button)

/ (ForwardSlash): Select idle fighter. (nothing happens when you press the pause button)

Shift + /: Add idle fighter to selection. (forwardslash doesn't work so this either)

Alt + /: Select all idle fighters.  (forwardslash doesn't work so this either)

Alt + .: Select all idle workers (including citizen soldiers). (it does select all idle workers but not champions. Actually, it selects women and soldiers but not champs)

\ (BackSlash): Select idle unit. (there is no obvious button on the keyboard for this)

Shift + \: Add idle unit to selection.  (backslash doesn't work so this either)

Alt + \: Select all idle units.   (backslash doesn't work so this either)

IIRC idle units hotkeys work fine on OSX as i used them till i changed the keyboard hotkeys