Help with modding

false_god123

Is there any template file structure for a creation of a faction with the correct files i need for a basic faction creation. i have tried to use millennium ad as a template but there is just so much stuff that i prob don't even need for a basic faction. All i want to do i rename units, create my own unit, change textures and edit damage.

I have tried to follow the basics of the axeman tutorial on the forum and for some reason it just doesn't show up in game, so at this point i'm learning by looking in other peoples mod folders. i think i got how to re-texutre units and change stats down and how to make my faction show up in game , my only problem is making a unit and having that show up in game

So is there a basic faction mod folder anywhere i can use with like 1 unit working i can understand then, i'm not sure if i'm making sense reading this back lol 

Custom mods need only to include the modified files or new files. So you do not need to include the maps.

You do not need to have the maps folder in your mod since you aren't going to modify any files there. So by any chance do you have the maps folder or any content in the folder?

And one more thing, whenever you get an error,  its better to post the contents of interestinglog.html (same thing),

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameDataPaths

That is what my folder looks like and only has the Gaul axe man tutorial thing's in there

(Also it takes me straight to that screen that you see in the first image and i cant do anything but exit)

Here is my crash log

<!DOCTYPE html>
<meta charset="utf-8">
<title>Pyrogenesis Log</title>
<style>body { background: #eee; color: black; font-family: sans-serif; } p { background: white; margin: 3px 0 3px 0; } .error { color: red; } .warning { color: blue; }</style>
<h2>0 A.D. (0.0.22) Main log (warnings and errors only)</h2>
<p class="error">ERROR: CVFSFile: file maps/scenario.rng couldn't be opened (vfs_load: -110101)</p>
<p class="error">ERROR: CXeromyces: failed adding validator for 'maps/scenario.rng'</p>

11014fda444fcceb23f40138d51743cf.png

e8653b83f0ef40abbbefc3e53fa2fe92.png

I do not think this would work but try this, put the mod folder in C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\0ad\mods\ and open 0ad normally without any mods.

Go to tools & options --> mod selection and see if it shows up.

Ok i have now moved my folder in binaries/data/mods/mymod

It's still saying the same thing, also when i launch the standard game, in the mod selection nothing even shows up

i have tried to mod this game for 2 days now, but i am determined to mod this game, I will continue this problem tomorrow

Really thank's for the help guys!

5f5c19cf020c50b75a593ff59996fee4.png

c52e2306d29ef7d1f14ccb23557a0c0bbbbb.png

Edited by false_god123

How do you start the engine? If you pass custom parameters to it which ones? If you pass mutliple -mod=foo entries, why do you not pass -mod=mod? Why do you not rely on the mod selection screen? If it does not show up there, what are the contents of your mod's mod.json.

Also the wiki has some useful information regarding modding, apart from inane names for entries in the dependencies array.

To make a mod available in game you need to put it in the correct location and have it containing a `mod.json` file. Is it only your mod which isn't working or are there problems with other mods as well? Try loading something basic, e.g.:

https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/23904-global-multipliers/

13 minutes ago, false_god123 said:

My public folder has the public.zip file in it, and the image below shows where my testmod folder is located and the custom parameters i am using. 

f13ca107a56ae5bc4e3bb487abe0298ffff.png

This screenshot suggest you're working inside the game data files, not in your local files, where you ought to be. (The mods folder you need is supposed to be in the same directory as the replays, saves, and screenshots folders are.) Also, whenever you encounter errors or warnings, please look them up in your logs (see https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameDataPaths ) and copy them verbatim, instead of posting hard to read screenshots.

PS https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/21083-how-to-start-modifying/ contains a lot of modding questions and answers.

Edited by Nescio
link

If you specify mods to load as command line parameters, then you must specify all the mods that should be loaded, and in the correct order. Or you just write a proper mod.json and use the mod selection screen.

(Whether the mod is in the user mods folder or within the game data files mods folder does not really matter (the former has slightly higher priority when a mod of the same name exists in both).)

It is loading up now just the "axeman" and something to do with the barracks, that's pretty much all what's in my mod folder

here is the error

<!DOCTYPE html>
<meta charset="utf-8">
<title>Pyrogenesis Log</title>
<style>body { background: #eee; color: black; font-family: sans-serif; } p { background: white; margin: 3px 0 3px 0; } .error { color: red; } .warning { color: blue; }</style>
<h2>0 A.D. (0.0.22) Main log (warnings and errors only)</h2>
<p class="error">ERROR: CXeromyces: Failed to parse XML file simulation/templates/structures/gaul_barracks.xml</p>
<p class="error">ERROR: Failed to load entity template 'structures/gaul_barracks'</p>

Also thanks for the links