catapult stats

OuGaming

Yeah, I know.  About the program talk with the devs about it, maybe it's useful for the team or for modders to change the stats without single editing every file.

This topic have been long discussed in this forums: Some devs try to stick to the current design with minor tweaks, some others want a more deep change.

Some users had make gameplay mods to try to address this issues, the current ones that are updated are: Nescio's 0 abc unified mod/ (forum topic) , Justus Delenda Est (currently on hold until Beta) and Hannibal Barca Vox Populi. You will find a lot of topics about gameplay design: there's no consensus on how to do it, or there's lack of leadership or manpower in the team how to address this. So changing a little bit the stats between siege hadn't really much sense, when IMHO, it lacks defined roles for the different units.

16 hours ago, OuGaming said:

catapults.thumb.png.72bb55af8a4e24471b72c13122cea556.png

What's sting/clangor? Hack and Crush damage? :D

Cool program though! Would be very useful.

As far as siege differentiation, you're right, things could be made to be more different between civs. Though, IMHO, mostly that should be done with Civ Bonuses [which are limited to only a few per civ] and Technologies [where the player can choose how they want to differentiate their units based on current battlefield conditions]. The Roman bonus in siege is basically one of their civ bonuses.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, OuGaming said:

Hello,

I wrote a Programm to compare unit stats. It struck me right away that almost all catapults have the same stats. More differents between the stats will bring more alignment on tactical activities for each Nation.

You do realize you could also just have had a look at the unit templates? E.g. https://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/templates/units/rome_mechanical_siege_ballista_packed.xml

5 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

As far as siege differentiation, you're right, things could be made to be more different between civs. Though, IMHO, mostly that should be done with Civ Bonuses [which are limited to only a few per civ] and Technologies [where the player can choose how they want to differentiate their units based on current battlefield conditions]. The Roman bonus in siege is basically one of their civ bonuses.

Yes, I agree, it would be better to move these civilization bonuses out of the templates (which can be easily overlooked) into a separate civ bonus technology.

11 minutes ago, Nescio said:

You do realize you could also just have had a look at the unit templates? E.g. https://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/templates/units/rome_mechanical_siege_ballista_packed.xml

Yes, I agree, it would be better to move these civilization bonuses out of the templates (which can be easily overlooked) into a separate civ bonus technology.

Well, it's more useful to look in a table to compare, instead of going one to one. But a optimal program, should compare the different types of units, not only the same units between civilizations, and then also add civ bonuses and techs, something like this: https://gbts.github.io/aoe2calc/

And, IRC, there was some kind of site here that made something along this lines.

Edited by av93

3 hours ago, av93 said:

Well, it's more useful to look in a table to compare, instead of going one to one. But a optimal program, should compare the different types of units, not only the same units between civilizations, and then also add civ bonuses and techs, something like this: https://gbts.github.io/aoe2calc/

And, IRC, there was some kind of site here that made something along this lines.

I think @s0600204 posted some proposal mockup.

nice program! Isn't it similar to the already existing python script in "~/0ad/source/tools/templatesanalyzer" in linux os?

I am quite sure you can't apply modification to templates there though.

About Civ Bonuses, I'm not sure if roman Ballista should really be better than other civs, nor persian rams. The most confusing thing is that the History page isn't updated and users often misread stuff.

Perhaps civ bonuses may be  at least highlight bonus related stuff with different color (e.i. green ) for easy comparison.

Edited by Grugnas
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...