===[COMMITTED]=== Horse Update

Alexandermb

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As reminder @Alexandermb @wowgetoffyourcellphone Which ones of those are fixed ? Are there new bugs that I should be aware of before starting my review ?

1. I think the walk animation should be a trot. The current "walk" animation looks more like a slow run. Trotting may be anachronistic, I don't know

2. The capes for the riders could use some work.

3. the "dangling head" props for the Gallic champion cav move weirdly.

4. A lot of the spear models need remade to be as nice as the newer hoplite spear and sarissa. Some units, like the two-handed spear units, should use longer spears than they're currently given. Again, that can be done later, not a release blocker.

5. The capturing animation could look a little more... lively. As well as the promotion animation. I imagined the horse rearing and the rider thrusting his weapon to the sky when he promotes.

6. The death animation looks a little too fast. Just an actor tweak.

7. I have some nigglings about the UV mapping still.

8. Strange actor swapping behavior, such as my cavalry gathering meat with a slab of meat instead of a knife.

1. i've made the slow run based on the walking speed of the cavalry, i didn't wanted to touch any walking speed on the cavalry for balance reasons, yet i could do the trot if everyones agree as i've made for the pony because of the size. Btw: AoE DE Have cavalry with trot animation and looks weird, i liked more the way AoE 2 animated the cavalry.

2. this is animation or 3d model speaking?

3. fixed, properly added as a prop in the horse chest and not in the ridder seat as it was before

4. References needed.

5. Promote ready, capturing under approvation.

6. slowed by 20 seconds 140>120

7. Head fixed

8. i haven't seen that one yet.

Edited by Alexandermb

1. Okay I think that can be left for later.
2. I think this is animation speaking and should be a separate task
3. Perfect
4. Like 2 you're right that's for another topic @Lion.Kanzen @wowgetoffyourcellphone Can you create a topic with references for spears ?
5. If your capturing animation are not approved this is a release blocker to me. @Sundiata @wowgetoffyourcellphone
6. Perfect
7. Perfect
8. That's due to recent changes not related to your work.

In summary When 5. Is fixed I will review the whole actors zip fix what is needed (I sense there will be indent fix, some naming to change and some other things to fix) and the commit.

I'll try to split my commit in twain maybe in three (new horses / new ponies/ cleanup/) My commit stack is kinda big still have parrot gastaphretes( I'm still not sure it should be commited), cobra, (@strannik made most of the anims) then the champion chariot for seleucid.

1 hour ago, Tomcelmare said:

Alexandermb, will you implement your new horse model to the chinese, for Terra Magna mod? 

Modders should wait until the assets are committed to public mod or else you might be duplicating your work. :)

18 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

@Alexandermb The UV map on some of the horses is uncommitable as is. Maybe you could make different variations of the horse for different uvs ?

I started making cavalry portraits.

athen_cavalry_swordsman.png.88819f91b164f57b3c72bd78f3345776.png

Then ran across this.

image.png.58a5dd5c7ef56ae79935aaae95d39364.png

If the UV map can't get worked out, then maybe the tack can be a prop instead, like the player color bandin the first one.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

57 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

@Alexandermb The UV map on some of the horses is uncommitable as is. Maybe you could make different variations of the horse for different uvs ?

Unless you find a fix.

Thats a better solution

41 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Modders should wait until the assets are committed to public mod or else you might be duplicating your work. :)

I started making cavalry portraits.

athen_cavalry_swordsman.png.88819f91b164f57b3c72bd78f3345776.png

Then ran across this.

image.png.58a5dd5c7ef56ae79935aaae95d39364.png

If the UV map can't get worked out, then maybe the tack can be a prop instead, like the player color bandin the first one.

Exactly, this is what i mean when i said one is fixed and the other is wrong

2 hours ago, Tomcelmare said:

Hi there! Merry Christmas, everybody! :)

Alexandermb, will you implement your new horse model to the chinese, for Terra Magna mod? 

Hi tomcelmare, Merry Christmas to you too, when they get comitted every mod will need to update the horses (if they are going to be nuked) in any case i've made the crossbow cavalry animation's especialy with the same crossbow i did for Terra Magna

• Like 1