===[COMMITTED]=== Horse Update

Alexandermb

21 hours ago, Alexandermb said:

@Itms its posible to tweak the upgrade code by this way?:

• Make it spawn an entity after upgrade its ended.
  • Upgrade again the entity but this time with a given condition: Having selected both units and after the upgrade is complete delete "B" entity.

Thats my only thought about mount/dismount so far by now.

I don't really know that piece of code, you should ask @wraitii about this.

And of course the mount/unmount gameplay decision needs debating, I'm looking forward to publicizing our decisions about the design process, as promised. (like a lot of things, it is still in progress)

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

@wowgetoffyourcellphone was your UV nitpick fixed ?

eh, not really. Look at the chest area of the horse. Looks very stretched. Also, and this is the nittiest of all picks, the nostril and mouth area looked better mapped on the old horse.lol

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

5 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

eh, not really. Look at the chest area of the horse. Looks very stretched. Also, and this is the nittiest of all picks, the nostril and mouth area looked better mapped on the old horse.lol

I'll wait for that @Alexandermb 

Looking at all the good work so far should be a piece of cake.

@wowgetoffyourcellphone When I'll commit it, I'll rename the old actors to pony, but what units should get those ?

Just now, stanislas69 said:

When I'll commit it, I'll rename the old actors to pony, but what units should get those ?

I think the Britons chariot should use ponies. Maybe @Alexandermb would like to make those next? Is it just as easy as scaling down the animations I wonder? The pony mesh geometry would be a bit different from the horse, namely in body proportions, but I imagine the skeleton could remain essentially the same.

iron-age-britons.jpg90.jpg

1 minute ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I think the Britons chariot should use ponies. Maybe @Alexandermb would like to make those next? Is it just as easy as scaling down the animations I wonder? The pony mesh geometry would be a bit different from the horse, namely in body proportions, but I imagine the skeleton could remain essentially the same.

Thats correct, it can be just scale down the mesh and every animation and Works the advantage is that i got the Native blender file which allow to rescale whitout breaking something. looking and the 2nd image, could be scale the legs and make it a Little more fat i guess ?

4 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

Thats correct, it can be just scale down the mesh and every animation and Works the advantage is that i got the Native blender file which allow to rescale whitout breaking something. looking and the 2nd image, could be scale the legs and make it a Little more fat i guess ?

I'd say scale your own horse mesh, not the original horse mesh. Yours is much better. Yeah, the pony looks like it has "fatter" proportions, and stubbier legs. Also, its head is larger in proportion than a horse's head.

;)

rv7Wign.jpg

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I'd say scale your own horse mesh, not the original horse mesh. Yours is much better. Yeah, the pony looks like it has "fatter" proportions, and stubbier legs. Also, its head is larger in proportion than a horse's head.

Okay so... Should I nuke the old horse afterwards ? I really do not want to got for the "new" folder naming scheme nor keep these old actors around if they aren't needed anymore. 

So only britons Chariot and Boudicca should use ponies ?

EDIT if you are gonna model ponies maybe a new UVMap could be nice. Also props and stuff. Just a thought.

2 hours ago, Itms said:

I don't really know that piece of code, you should ask @wraitii about this.

And of course the mount/unmount gameplay decision needs debating, I'm looking forward to publicizing our decisions about the design process, as promised. (like a lot of things, it is still in progress)

Possible with https://code.wildfiregames.com/D281 iirc. Not possible, nor intended, with the upgrade code.

• Like 2

If that is the actual size of a pony, then maybe our eyes aren't used in seeing one. :) Although it really looks strange, maybe that is what the Britonnic Celt cavalry actually looked like and we were just led away by the contemporary illustrations of Celtic cavalry in books depicting the Gallic heavy cavalry of Continental Europe.

• Like 2

Just now, wackyserious said:

If that is the actual size of a pony, then maybe our eyes aren't used in seeing one. :) Although it really looks strange, maybe that is what the Britonnic Celt cavalry actually looked like and we were just led away by the contemporary illustrations of Celtic cavalry in books depicting the Gallic heavy cavalry of Continental Europe.

Can be nice see what thinks archeological evidence, I mean the bones. I share many links with Alexander about the evolve of horse under domestication.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_and_moorland_pony_breeds

A quick search about native breeds of British ponies led to this

Fellpony2.jpg

That's is... I saw before its the same of ancient...?

Yeah, we must consider that some of the breeds in the wiki article above are a bit modern, some dating to the 1800's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dales_pony

This one in particular has a discussion that dates back to the Roman era and mentions the local Celtic tribe that might have used the ponies.

Indeed.

The known history of the horse in Britain starts with horse remains found in Pakefield, Suffolk, dating from 700,000 BC, and in Boxgrove, West Sussex, dating from 500,000 BC. Early humans were active hunters of horses, and finds from the Ice Age have been recovered from many sites. At that time, land which now forms the British Isles was part of a peninsula attached to continental Europe by a low-lying area now known as "Doggerland", and land animals could migrate freely between what is now island Britain and continental Europe. The domestication of horses, and their use to pull vehicles, had begun in Britain by 2500 BC; by the time of the Roman conquest of Britain, British tribes could assemble armies which included thousands of chariots.

Horse improvement as a goal, and horse breeding as an enterprise, date to medieval times; King John imported a hundred Flemish stallions, Edward III imported fifty Spanish stallions, and various priories and abbeys owned stud farms. Laws were passed restricting and prohibiting horse exports and for the culling of horses considered undesirable in type. By the 17th century, specific horse breeds were being recorded as suitable for specific purposes, and new horse-drawn agricultural machinery was being designed. Fast coaches pulled by teams of horses with Thoroughbred blood could make use of improved roads, and coaching inn proprietors owned hundreds of horses to support the trade. Steam power took over the role of horses in agriculture from the mid-19th century, but horses continued to be used in warfare for almost another 100 years, as their speed and agility over rough terrain remained unequalled. Working horses had all but disappeared from Britain by the 1980s, and today horses in Britain are kept almost wholly for recreational purposes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_horse_in_Britain

• Like 1

Ande this.

Domesticated ponies were on Dartmoor by around 1500 BC.[22]

Excavations of Iron Age sites have recovered horse bones from ritual pits at a temple site near Cambridge,[23] and around twenty Iron Age chariot burials have been found, including one of a woman discovered at Wetwang Slack.[24] The majority of Iron Age chariot burials in Britain are associated with the Arras culture, and in most cases the chariots were dismantled before burial. Exceptions are the Ferrybridge and Newbridge chariots, which are the only ones found to have been buried intact. The Newbridge burial has been radiocarbon dated to 520–370 BC, and the Ferrybridge burial is likely to be of similar date.[25]