===[COMMITTED]=== Horse Update

Alexandermb

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

We can do many interesting things these animations

Yes, Alexander's animations have the potential to really bring 0AD alive, like training animations at the barracks/stables when training units, or a blacksmith hamering away at an anvil, when researching techs, for example.. Or women walking around the farm while plowing/seeding/weeding/harvesting, instead of just perpetually standing there at the edge of the field scraping at the same patch of dirt throughout the game.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sundiata said:

Yes, Alexander's animations have the potential to really bring 0AD alive, like training animations at the barracks/stables when training units, or a blacksmith hamering away at an anvil, when researching techs, for example.. Or women walking around the farm while plowing/seeding/weeding/harvesting, instead of just perpetually standing there at the edge of the field scraping at the same patch of dirt throughout the game.

Most of those require more than anims :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sundiata said:

Yes, Alexander's animations have the potential to really bring 0AD alive, like training animations at the barracks/stables when training units, or a blacksmith hamering away at an anvil..

Loordgood have this idea for his mod.

With fields need something more just animation. an great example is Cossack 3. 

Here are the files with the latest changes including the promotion/capturing animations, the heads of the gaul horse and some fixes, also slowed by 20 the death animation time.

Horse_new.7z

When everything its commited  i'll upload the blender files cleaned for the art repo.

Also when i got time i'll make another gif files for every animation, older gifs won't work anymore they are all modified, or in case someone could record in the atlas directly it will be very helpfull, otherwise i'll make an escene for a more Drama-like effect like the Enrique's animation showcase in blender.

Edited by Alexandermb
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, av93 said:

The team as agreed on mount/dismount feature?

I think i found somewhere its planned but not yet High Priority, and well in the way 0 A.D. Goes by now isn't imposible nor yet a bad feature, imagine how good can be having this feature specialy in campaing gameplay. With carefull and good development 0 A.D. could be whatever you liked before in any RTS specially now that this good kind of RTS are dying by Turn Based horrible gameplay games with just pretty graphics for satisfy PS4 XboxOne people complaining about lack of graphics for games they aren't going to play.

Edited by Alexandermb
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Alexandermb said:

@Itms its posible to tweak the upgrade code by this way?:

• Make it spawn an entity after upgrade its ended.
  • Upgrade again the entity but this time with a given condition: Having selected both units and after the upgrade is complete delete "B" entity.

Thats my only thought about mount/dismount so far by now.

Hmm, I think that is a gameplay decision. Right now it's possible to just swap the hero or whoever between infantry and cavalry versions. But what you're saying is that you'd like the horse to always be hanging around somehow when the unit is in infantry mode. I can imagine some issues with that, though I do understand that seeing the unit magically change from infantry to cavalry with the horse poofing out of nowhere is somewhat of a minor immersion killer.

The horse-mounting feature could be included for narrative campaign-sake and mods, but I'd imagine it would be tedious micro to do that in a PvP match. One way to do it is with the garrisoning component too instead of the upgrade component. Or make a whole new component as I believe is now possible.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Hmm, I think that is a gameplay decision. Right now it's possible to just swap the hero or whoever between infantry and cavalry versions. But what you're saying is that you'd like the horse to always be hanging around somehow when the unit is in infantry mode. I can imagine some issues with that, though I do understand that seeing the unit magically change from infantry to cavalry with the horse poofing out of nowhere is somewhat of a minor immersion killer.

The horse-mounting feature could be included for narrative campaign-sake and mods, but I'd imagine it would be tedious micro to do that in a PvP match. One way to do it is with the garrisoning component too instead of the upgrade component. Or make a whole new component as I believe is now possible.

Empires Apart have this feature for some heroes. isn't bad if is one single unit.