===[TASK]===[SOUND]=== Alert sounds

Lion.Kanzen

10 minutes ago, Skhorn said:

Last one sounds very cool!

Last is my own voice pitcher change, with delay, reverb and other tiny things, I cut the things that aren't good, for example in middle I forgot take a deep breath.

Is secret to give the deep voice. and speak from the thorax is used in radio to speak.

Hi guys,

I'm sorry, I was never really up to speed with the Sound Design of the game - so I'm not sure how these relate to the overall language.

What I can do is provide feedback on these particular effects :)
The human voice is the most ancient, instantly-recognizable, versatile musical instrument we have!
I think it's super weird (especially in a history-based game) to use any kind of digital processing on it. The pitch shifter etc... it's just immediately obvious that this is synthetic, and not real.
While I understand the effect you were going for (like a big choir of male monks?), I don't think this is the way to achieve it.

What I normally do to "fake" a choir is gather 2-3 singers, have each one sing their part about 8 times, mix those channels up and spread them around - and then mix in some choir samples to beef it up.

Bottom line - I think the processed voice will stick out and be a little foreign to the natural, historic feel of the game.

Of course this is only my personal opinion, but I'd recommend trying a more convincing, not-processed way to create this effect!

Omri

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OmriLahav said:

Hi guys,

I'm sorry, I was never really up to speed with the Sound Design of the game - so I'm not sure how these relate to the overall language.

What I can do is provide feedback on these particular effects :)
The human voice is the most ancient, instantly-recognizable, versatile musical instrument we have!
I think it's super weird (especially in a history-based game) to use any kind of digital processing on it. The pitch shifter etc... it's just immediately obvious that this is synthetic, and not real.
While I understand the effect you were going for (like a big choir of male monks?), I don't think this is the way to achieve it.

What I normally do to "fake" a choir is gather 2-3 singers, have each one sing their part about 8 times, mix those channels up and spread them around - and then mix in some choir samples to beef it up.

Bottom line - I think the processed voice will stick out and be a little foreign to the natural, historic feel of the game.

Of course this is only my personal opinion, but I'd recommend trying a more convincing, not-processed way to create this effect!

Omri

I can't  have the voices, isn't like monks exactly. was a guttural but I can reach that the pitch by my own.

You can give some source to have a female chorus a single voice for many proposes. sad for example, glorious or something.

2 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

How works in AoE 2 

Not a bad concept... Although it's not very clear in AoE 2. Maybe we can simplify it: have one attack sound when your units get attacked and another one when buildings get attacked? It would help assess the severity of the threat. 

(I've had my base overrun more than once without even realising because I was so engaged in a battle somewhere else on the map, and likewise, have overrun people's base without them realising because they were fighting somewhere else)

Those distance and time-paramaters are quite good (gives you an idea of the scope of the attack), but single units shouldn't trigger an alarm within 10 sec or 10 tiles of setting of one. (try avoiding annoying "alarm spam"). 

Maybe we can have an attack sound for when one unit get's attacked, and a second more serious/urgent sound when more than 10 units are under attack at the same time. Same for buildings. After the second more serious/urgent alarm has gone of, no more alarms should go off within a 100 tile radius, for a full minute of that alarm to avoid "alarm spam" (by now you already know you're under massive attack, and don't need to be reminded every 10 sec) 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Sundiata said:

Not a bad concept... Although it's not very clear in AoE 2. Maybe we can simplify it: have one attack sound when your units get attacked and another one when buildings get attacked? It would help assess the severity of the threat. 

(I've had my base overrun more than once without even realising because I was so engaged in a battle somewhere else on the map, and likewise, have overrun people's base without them realising because they were fighting somewhere else)

Those distance and time-paramaters are quite good (gives you an idea of the scope of the attack), but single units shouldn't trigger an alarm within 10 sec or 10 tiles of setting of one. (try avoiding annoying "alarm spam"). 

Maybe we can have an attack sound for when one unit get's attacked, and a second more serious/urgent sound when more than 10 units are under attack at the same time. Same for buildings. After the second more serious/urgent alarm has gone of, no more alarms should go off within a 100 tile radius, for a full minute of that alarm to avoid "alarm spam" (by now you already know you're under massive attack, and don't need to be reminded every 10 sec) 

A civilian defensive alarm and normal attack.

Plus Wild animal and conversion(bonus)

Perhaps something that tells you where the attack is occuring, like:

Attack Alarm Outward

• A unit or outpost is attacked outside of the player's territory.

Attack Alarm Home

• A unit or building within the player's territory is attacked.

Each can have an accompanying sound that tells you a little more information:

Attacked by an animal

Attacked by an enemy unit [non-siege] or building

Attacked by a siege weapon

Just some ideas.

I liked in AOE3 that when the town center was attacked you could hear a sound effect of the townspeople panicking and running around. Also, music got more intense when you attacked a town center or fortress in AOM.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

I've got some great war horn sounds, I'll be happy to make a few variations of an attack sound.
Will post a few options to this forum, in the style of the AoE reference.

I'll make a few levels of intensity, and they can be assigned to different events (i.e. enemy unit entering your territory, soldiers engaged in combat, civilians attacked etc).

Omri

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OmriLahav said:

I've got some great war horn sounds, I'll be happy to make a few variations of an attack sound.
Will post a few options to this forum, in the style of the AoE reference.

I'll make a few levels of intensity, and they can be assigned to different events (i.e. enemy unit entering your territory, soldiers engaged in combat, civilians attacked etc).

Omri

Thanks a lot

Here are a few sound effects I quickly created with my horn sample.

I tried a few different directions.
War horn - a simple gesture, layer 1 is 1 solo horn (for animal attack?), layer 2 is 2 horns (for civilian attack?), layer 3 is 6 horns (for full engagement?)

Charging horn - a stylized flurry, layer 1 is a single note, layer 2 is a simple chord, layer 3 is a dissonant chord

Chaos horn - this is a cluster of 6 notes, not sure if it'll be useful but I made one just in case

Let me know what you think!

0 A.D. - War Horn - Layer 3.wav

0 A.D. - War Horn - Layer 2.wav

0 A.D. - War Horn - Layer 1.wav

0 A.D. - Charging Horn - Layer 3.wav

0 A.D. - Charging Horn - Layer 2.wav

0 A.D. - Charging Horn - Layer 1.wav

0 A.D. - Chaos Horn.wav

Edited by OmriLahav
typo
  • Like 3

On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:10 PM, OmriLahav said:

Here are a few sound effects I quickly created with my horn sample.

I tried a few different directions.
War horn - a simple gesture, layer 1 is 1 solo horn (for animal attack?), layer 2 is 2 horns (for civilian attack?), layer 3 is 6 horns (for full engagement?)

Charging horn - a stylized flurry, layer 1 is a single note, layer 2 is a simple chord, layer 3 is a dissonant chord

Chaos horn - this is a cluster of 6 notes, not sure if it'll be useful but I made one just in case

Let me know what you think!

0 A.D. - War Horn - Layer 3.wav

0 A.D. - War Horn - Layer 2.wav

0 A.D. - War Horn - Layer 1.wav

0 A.D. - Charging Horn - Layer 3.wav

0 A.D. - Charging Horn - Layer 2.wav

0 A.D. - Charging Horn - Layer 1.wav

0 A.D. - Chaos Horn.wav

I can't do it same  as AoE 2 , the sound alarm is double I need first must be quickly  and have a second more deeper and longer similar to the first but prolonged. but without ruin or interfere in the first. 

Because I'm not musician I can user properly concepts. but I can use my own whistle to you can do  this sound with a horn.

aoe sound.m4a