Gaia: Animals

Acumen

On 5/15/2019 at 10:13 AM, Stan` said:

Updated. This way the students from the graphics school will have more choice :) 

In case they want more choice, I've listed quite a few species at https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/22944-fauna-requests/&tab=comments#comment-340159 I don't expect all of them to be created, obviously, but the more, the merrier :)

Or just tell them to create their favourite animal; any animal that meets the art department's standards should be considered for inclusion.

57 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Thank you for the links, but no, there is not enough information there either. There are hundreds of turtle and tortoise species; so it's simply a matter which one(s) the artist decides to create; the specific name can be easily looked up then.

Okay, I was hoping the color being detailed for the parrot and the vulture might have given you a more clear idea on what species was wanted.

58 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Having said that, I think there should be a separate list for flying birds (e.g. hawk), as opposed to edible birds (e.g. chicken, peacock).

Sound fair to me.

58 minutes ago, Nescio said:

PS I see you've listed a hen and rooster. What's wrong with the current chicken?

Having a rooster would be nice, I always felt it was weird to only have female birds.

As for the chicken, well looking at the one in Hyrule conquest really made me wish we had more variations, and a better texture. It's too detailed to be taken as is and the license would likely be incompatible anyway.

51 minutes ago, Nescio said:

In case they want more choice, I've listed quite a few species at https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/22944-fauna-requests/&tab=comments#comment-340159 I don't expect all of them to be created, obviously, but the more, the merrier :)

Or just tell them to create their favourite animal; any animal that meets the art department's standards should be considered for inclusion.

I don't know how much control I will have over them, nor what they will choose :/ The teacher has the list though so she'll let me know. Also making an animal is a lot of time, so I'd be happy if I have the meshes. I don't expect to have more than three our four usable animals though, it's a small class.

That new list is huge !  I guess I could integrate all of this in the list, but that's gonna take a long time and I don't feel it being worth it. I'll just add the link at the bottom.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I think the current "hawk" in the game should renamed to be the Golden Eagle, while a new "Hawk" can be modeled and animated. The current Hawk is just too darn big to be a hawk. lol, it's Golden Eagle size though and is roughly the right color.

Yeah and it would seem the wings are incorrect too.

• 1 month later...

In case someone is curious (or ambitious):

Spoiler
On 1/29/2019 at 11:42 AM, Nescio said:

Here is the bovine family tree:

• siblings:
    • aurochs (Bos taurus primigenius): Europe
    • European cattle (Bos taurus taurus): Europe and Near East
    • Sanga cattle (Bos taurus africanus): Africa
    • zebu (Bos taurus indicus): India
  • first cousins:
    • gaur (Bos gaurus) and mithun (Bos frontalis): India and Southeast Asia
    • wild yak (Bos mutus) and domestic yak (Bos grunniens): Tibet
    • bantheng:
      • Bali cattle (Bos javanicus domesticus): Java and Bali
      • Javan banteng (Bos javanicus javanicus): Java and Bali
      • Borneo banteng (Bos javanicus lowi): Borneo
      • Burma banteng (Bos javanicus birmanicus): Southeast Asia
    • kouprey (Bos sauveli): Southeast Asia
  • second cousins:
  • third cousins:
    • nilgai (Boselaphus tragocamelus): India
    • chousingha (Tetracerus quadricornis): India

As you may have notice I highly appreciate biodiversity. Ideally they would all be created and included in A24 :)

Spoiler
On 10/11/2017 at 2:30 PM, Nescio said:

Finally, a list of crocodilians ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crocodilia#Taxonomy ):

• Africa:
    • Nile crocodile (Crocodylus niloticus): yes
      • the archetypical crocodile
      • very aggressive and fierce
    • West African crocodile (Crocodylus suchus): no
      • kept in Egyptian temples and frequently mummified
      • often confused with the larger Nile crocodile, looks similar, but is significantly less fierce
    • West African slender-snouted crocodile (Mecistops cataphractus): no
    • Central African slender-snouted crocodile (Mecistops leptorhynchus): no
    • dwarf crocodile (Osteolaemus tetraspis): no
  • Asia,  New Guinea, and Australia:
    • Chinese alligator (Alligator sinensis): no
    • Freshwater crocodile (Crocodylus johnsoni): no
    • Philippine crocodile (Crocodylus mindorensis): no
    • New Guinea crocodile (Crocodylus novaeguineae): no
    • mugger crocodile (Crocodylus palustris): no
    • saltwater crocodile (Crocodylus porosus): no
    • Siamese crocodile (Crocodylus siamensis): no
    • gharial (Gavialis gangeticus): no
    • false gharial (Tomistoma schlegelii): no
  • the Americas:
    • American alligator (Alligator mississippiensis): no
    • spectacled caiman (Caiman crocodilus): no
    • broad-snouted caiman (Caiman latirostris): no
    • yacare caiman (Caiman yacare): no
    • American crocodile (Crocodylus acutus): no
    • Orinoco crocodile (Crocodylus intermedius): no
    • Morelet's crocodile (Crocodylus moreletii): no
    • Cuban crocodile (Crocodylus rhombifer): no
    • black caiman (Melanosuchus niger): no
    • Cuvier's dwarf caiman (Paleosuchus palpebrosus): no
    • Schneider's smooth-fronted caiman (Paleosuchus trigonatus): no
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Not saying this needs to be done, but I didn't know where else to share this. I recently stumbled across pictures of Tira, the cutest little zebra I've ever seen, from the Maasai Mara in Kenya, and she has a very rare, and gorgeous mutation:

f88nkmk6mee51 copy.jpg

4a26c1c866664b5653dc306cd8763ac5 copy.jpg

A867BDC6-6702-46EF-B866-18143A955DF8.jpeg

And she's not the only one either. Another zebra with very similar markings exists in South Africa:

zebra3.jpg

"Blonde" zebras also exist:

EGfZU7gWkAAzwFG.jpeg

And brunettes:

zebra-baby-1.jpg

_DSC9704ZebraMom&BabeV1C1-L.jpg

And albino:

ac2ee1501fe82049.jpg

King Cheetahs are another rare, yet natural and gorgeous mutation (born to regular cheetahs):

7cabb72a98f20ec644b3358ea68a95e1.jpg

d0olh3q7qjh11.jpg

So majestic...

shutterstock-124805956.jpg

• Like 5

Animals for India/Central-South Asia

Gaur

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Gaur

Can use cattle animations and skeleton

Gaur_Male.jpg?1561865353617

Gharial

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Gharial

Can use crocodile rig and animations

Big_Mama_National_Chambal_sanctuary_01.j

Bactrian Camel for Eastern maps

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Bactrian_camel

Can use Arabian Camel rig and animations

1280px-SpeakingCamel_altColour_US7Ferris

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

Hopefully we can find CC-BY SA images for zebra mutations, I would definitely make some skins for the existing zebra model, if we can find images for those mutations under that license! I cannot seem to find CC-BY SA images for any of the listed mutations for zebras, because I feel somewhat nervous using the images you guys posted, for skins, if we could find CC BY SA images which would be better for this situation.

Edited by lukamas

6 minutes ago, lukamas said:

Hopefully we can find CC-BY SA images for zebra mutations, I would definitely make some skins for the existing zebra model, if we can find images for those mutations under that license! I cannot seem to find CC-BY SA images for any of the listed mutations for zebras, because I feel somewhat nervous using the images you guys posted, for skins, if we could find CC BY SA images which would be better for this situation.

Also keep in mind there are three different zebra species, each with fundamentally different skin patterns: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Zebra_species_(ENG).png

• Like 1

Yes, that too, I have found however pics under the license of an Albino\Blonde Zebra, as well as Burchell's Zebras with quagga like patterns, the albino has the hooves in the grass, so it could be hard for skins

File:Albino Zebra.JPG

File:Plains Zebra (Equus quagga burchellii) showing the disappearance of stripes characteristic of the "Quagga" proper now extinct ... (32949761572).jpg

here is a photo that could be good for quagga mutations found in burchells zebras, the zebra at the end of the photo that is drinking in a side view, could be alright for a mutationFile:Buffaloes and Plains Zebras (Equus quagga burchellii) one of them presenting an extreme reduction of the "zebra" pattern ...... (32309547213).jpg

Edited by lukamas
  • Like 2

Practically all images on Wikimedia Commons are released under a CC licence, so you could have a look at e.g. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Albinism_in_zebras

39 minutes ago, lukamas said:

as well as Burchell's Zebras with quagga like patterns

That's not really surprising, since Burchell's zebra (Equus quagga burchellii) is a subspecies of the common zebra (Equus quagga). Or did you mean the now extinct quagga subspecies (Equus quagga quagga)?

[EDIT] The last photo is from the Quagga Project, a modern selective breeding programme which aims to get zebras with strongly reduced stripe patterns; see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quagga_Project#Project_milestones. Therefore it's not representative of zebras you'd encounter in the wild.

Edited by Nescio
Quagga Project

• 1 year later...

I just saw this, I might be able to make some South Chinese wildlife, also it would be awesome to have both Bengal and South China tigers, since the game already has India as a map region, I might be able to model some South Chinese wildlife if you have a list of animals I could make? Luckily we have Bengal Tigers for India, South China Tigers are a great subspecies to have for a South China region in the development of maps for the region.

The other thing too is South China part of the regions that can be in the game already?

I am more than happy to contribute animals that are needed in case the other artists are busy with different stuff.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, lukamas said:

I just saw this, I might be able to make some South Chinese wildlife, also it would be awesome to have both Bengal and South China tigers, since the game already has India as a map region, I might be able to model some South Chinese wildlife if you have a list of animals I could make? Luckily we have Bengal Tigers for India, South China Tigers are a great subspecies to have for a South China region in the development of maps for the region.

The other thing too is South China part of the regions that can be in the game already?

I am more than happy to contribute animals that are needed in case the other artists are busy with different stuff.

how about the pandas? they are very famous and iconic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palaeoloxodon_namadicus

also some extinct species.

some elephants are a mystery.I do not know until what period they lived or it is not completely certain.

0e3fb88b4201b4a381fa8d0c712ba973.thumb.jpg.960356f42934322bc90a4168b8a9a117.jpg

this one survived until 3000 years ago, but who knows.

https://nationalzoo.si.edu/animals/asian-elephant

spike-elephant-outside-20180628-509sb.jpg.04b2e87a4f43b18c7b0312eb774f96e6.jpg

Not all elephants develop visible tusks. In Asian elephants, only some males have large, prominent tusks. Most female and some male Asian elephants have small tusks, called tushes, which seldom protrude more than an inch or two from the lip line.

Elephas maximus rubridens.

The Chinese elephant, also called the pink tusked elephant (Elephas maximus rubridens), is one of the two extinct subspecies of the Asian elephant. It became extinct in the 15th century A.D. It was scientifically described in 1950 by the Sri Lankan zoologist Paules Edward Pieris Deraniyagala (1900-1976).

The existence of elephants in ancient China is attested both by archaeological evidence and by depictions in Chinese artwork. Long thought to belong to an extinct subspecies of the Asian elephant named Elephas maximus rubridens, they lived in Central and Southern China before the 14th century BC. They once occurred as far north as Anyang, Henan in Northern China.[1] The elephant is mentioned in the earliest received texts, including the Shijing, Liji, and Zuozhuan.[2] The oracle bone script and bronzeware script glyphs for elephant are pictographic depictions of an animal with a long trunk. Their modern descendant is the regular script character 象 (Standard Modern Chinese, xiàng)

Chineselephant.jpg.f32e50fe9ca2f58ce447adf636655eff.jpg

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, lukamas said:

Very cool! The question is mainly that would South China be a part of the game's specific regions, I already know India is for the Mauryans, but is South China considered part of the game's specified regions?

The Han Chinese Empire will be added for the next alpha, coming soon:)

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, nifa said:

The Han Chinese Empire will be added for the next alpha, coming soon:)

Ok great! All the more reason so I can add wildlife to the maps either through contributions or mods, because I already am almost finished making a South China Tiger that Lion.Kanzen requested with pics of other South China animals, so yeah, I am enjoying making South Chinese wildlife indigenous to the area, if there is a list of specific animals for South China, I can contribute considering the fact I am working on a bunch of different species, but be sure to let me know if you guys have any specific animals you would like contributions of because I am more than happy to contribute.

Edited by lukamas
  • Like 1