===[COMMITTED]=== Persian Unit Texture Upgrade

wackyserious

Nice! Everything looks nice and authentic. I acquiesced on the player color because I realized a lot of the Persian textures already had a lot of player color. I like your textures, you do an incredible job. I even used some of your new textures for DE's Kardakes. 

screenshot0083.thumb.jpg.c344882772a4da21ba952b63abae8649.jpg

Request. Can you re-commit them has RGB color instead of indexed color? lol I can't import them to Photoshop with SuperPNG for some reason. lol

Request 2: Maybe look into the Persian Female Citizen textures. They could use updating, improving, and variation.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Nice! Everything looks nice and authentic. I acquiesced on the player color because I realized a lot of the Persian textures already had a lot of player color. I like your textures, you do an incredible job. I even used some of your new textures for DE's Kardakes. 

screenshot0083.thumb.jpg.c344882772a4da21ba952b63abae8649.jpg

Request. Can you re-commit them has RGB color instead of indexed color? lol I can't import them to Photoshop with SuperPNG for some reason. lol

Request 2: Maybe look into the Persian Female Citizen textures. They could use updating, improving, and variation.

Must have been the compression at tinypng.com (Definitely have no idea how RGB and Index function)

Here is the zip of the raw .png

050419 - Persian Unit Texture (Commit).rar

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wackyserious said:

Must have been the compression at tinypng.com (Definitely have no idea how RGB and Index function)

Don't use tinypng.com or similar services; what it does is convert 24-bit (i.e. 1677216) colours into 8-bit (i.e. 256) colours, which means you lose information.

By contrast, the `pngcrush` command only removes unused file data.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Don't use tinypng.com or similar services; what it does is convert 24-bit (i.e. 1677216) colours into 8-bit (i.e. 256) colours, which means you lose information.

By contrast, the `pngcrush` command only removes unused file data.

Thanks for clearing this one out. I am not familiar with this though, a quick online search led me to website, would that do?

It was a current trend in the art department to compress the textures before committing it to SVN.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

am not familiar with this though, a quick online search led me to website, would that do?

I guess it's a linux command line tool.

Yeah I'm not sure that trend will stick or not. All textures are compressed with dds compression. And unpackaged mods should'nt be used :)

• Like 2

If your machine is fast enough, you could installing an easy to use distribution like Linux Mint as a virtual machine - programs to do that are VMWare or Virtualbox.

The programs might also be available in MSys, which is basically an Arch Linux that will run under Windows and is a lot more lightweight.

Edited by GunChleoc
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Scythians, Persians, and other Iranian peoples were well known for wearing trousers:

Spoiler

Skythian_archer_Louvre_G106.jpg

Amazon_trousers_BM_VaseB673.jpg

Achaemenids_fighting_against_Scythians.j

Behistun_relief_Skunkha.jpg

Most of their units already have trousers, but some don't, so it would be great if that can be changed for the following:

units/athenians/infantry_archer_c.xml (Scythian archer)
units/persians/cavalry_swordsman_b.xml (Hyrcanian cavalry)
units/persians/fisherman.xml
units/persians/infantry_archer_b.xml (Sogdian archer)
units/seleucids/cavalry_archer_b.xml (Dahae horse archer)

(pers_infantry_javelinist_b and *_a don't have trousers either, but that's fine, because those are Anatolians Lydians.)

Edited by Nescio
Lydia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2019 at 8:56 PM, Nescio said:

units/athenians/infantry_archer_c.xml (Scythian archer)

I will commit the updated actor files for this week.

units/persians/infantry_archer_b.xml (Sogdian archer)

What could basic Sogdian archers use for their texture in the current texture asset? Could you recommend

units/persians/cavalry_swordsman_b.xml (Hyrcanian cavalry)

units/persians/fisherman.xml

units/seleucids/cavalry_archer_b.xml (Dahae horse archer)

The same for these three. Thanks!

1 hour ago, wackyserious said:

I will commit the updated actor files for this week.

What could basic Sogdian archers use for their texture in the current texture asset? Could you recommend

The same for these three. Thanks!

Something with trousers. See also my previous post (May 30) for national dresses according to Persian iconography. East Iranian peoples (Scythians, Sarmatians, Saka, Dahae, Sogdians, Hyrcanians, etc.) were rather similar to each other.

The fisherman should probably be an Elamite, because that's the primary coastal region of Persia (Elam is roughly equivalent to modern Khuzestan).

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

@Nescio Sorry if it took several months to address this issue, academics and the work on other textures buried the progress here.

Some basic Sogdian archers (Re-used existing assets) and a more rural Sardian auxillaries. The advanced (animal pelt vests) could also be used for hillmen infantry if we will add them in the future.

Could I use animal pelt vests for basic rank Hyrcanian cavalry?

010620 - Persians.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wackyserious said:

@Nescio Sorry if it took several months to address this issue, academics and the work on other textures buried the progress here.

Some basic Sogdian archers (Re-used existing assets) and a more rural Sardian auxillaries. The advanced (animal pelt vests) could also be used for hillmen infantry if we will add them in the future.

Could I use animal pelt vests for basic rank Hyrcanian cavalry?

010620 - Persians.jpg

These heads... :bawling:

• Sad 1