===[COMMITTED]=== Persian Unit Texture Upgrade

wackyserious

Honestly I think the colours are supposed to look a little washed out/faded/natural/subtle/organic... Especially for basic troops. Champions and Heroes could have more saturated colours but the common foot folk are supposed to go to battle, not a royal banquet. The toned down saturation makes it more historical looking, while the highly saturated ones make it look more cartoony. 

I think the highly saturated player colour all over the place works well for games like Empires Apart, which is much more stylized and orientated towards fantasy-history, but it doesn't work so well for a game like 0AD that achieves a relatively high degree of visual "realism" for a game of this specific type.

Overly saturated player colour all over the place can easily become an eyesore on maps with increasing levels of naturalism. I understand that there is always a trade off between playability and aesthetics, but I think this is too much. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sundiata said:

I think the highly saturated player colour all over the place works well for games like Empires Apart, which is much more stylized and orientated towards fantasy-history, but it doesn't work so well for a game like 0AD that achieves a relatively high degree of visual "realism" for a game of this specific type.

Visual "realism" is good but it's for the bin if you don't see ata glance to which player a unit belongs. 0ad is still a game and not a history simulation. (Of course we should aim for the best historical accuracy. But only as long as it doesn't hinder the gameplay too much)

I know the view on this issue also heavily depends on whether you are more a competitive player or a casual. (Maybe we should just have an option to switch between two variatons: One with 100% accurate textures and one with accurate textures and distinguishable player color. Will be much effort and not sure how easy to implement ;))

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Imarok said:

I know the view on this issue also heavily depends on whether you are more a competitive player or a casual. (Maybe we should just have an option to switch between two variatons: One with 100% accurate textures and one with accurate textures and distinguishable player color. Will be much effort and not sure how easy to implement ;))

I like that, and I guess, to a degree it's already being done (Vanilla - DE). I'm sure such an option is doable and wanted. I'm not holding my breath for the next alpha though :P 

• Like 1

People are free to create mods with enhanced textures, but I don't think it's a good idea to include two versions in the main distribution; the art/textures/skins/ folder is already close to 1 GB.

There must be cleverer options; cf. Unit Silhouettes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coworotel said:

I agree with the playability people, those units above are very hard to tell to whom they belong if you are desperate with 2 armies invading your base and killing your women.

• battalions can help to distribute troops.
  • call to the arms button to take all fighting  forces you have.

can be more proposes to improved this.

16 minutes ago, coworotel said:

Isn't it possible to just have two sets of player colors? You choose "standard" or "saturated" (DE colors). Without changing the textures.

You mean the player colours as defined in simulation/data/settings/player_defaults.json? That's very easy to modify; you can also use diplomacy colours (customizable under Settings/Options/In Game). However, it won't make much of a difference if a texture hardly contains any player colour.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, coworotel said:

those units above are very hard to tell to whom they belong

Really? They're blue. Blue all over them... Could not be any other player than blue... Unless, maybe red? Nah, pretty sure it's blue! :P  

But yes, it does really seem to be a matter of personal taste :P  

21 minutes ago, coworotel said:

Isn't it possible to just have two sets of player colors? You choose "standard" or "saturated" (DE colors). Without changing the textures.

Cool idea...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coworotel said:

I agree with the playability people, those units above are very hard to tell to whom they belong if you are desperate with 2 armies invading your base and killing your women.

Part of the problem too is that texture artists have been straying from the established formula and using saturated colors for the diffuse texture and not neutrals. Another problem is that truly units don't need 10 textures for every unit and rank. For proper visual randomization you really only need about a maximum of 4 variations (see many of the house sets), and even those should be relatively similar (don't mix linen armor variants with bronze armor variants, etc.).

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

You would love the textiles with the scythian motifs, :) what do you think of having the Sogdian archer textures for the Athenian scyth_archer champ, by the way?

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Scythian_archers

Should probably gather up some light/medium Scythian armor/fashion sources.

a3387f336fe76dce1c3ff422413e9214.jpg

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, wackyserious said:

Note: Old screenshot. The contents are outdated.

@wowgetoffyourcellphone what about the these wide-hued tunics?

Immortals will no longer have light armor as seen above. The unit will be having iron and bronze scale armor.

010218 - Persian Immortals.jpg

I've been using these texture in DE for a long time already. lol

I gave the "quilted linen" textures to other units, while keeping the scale textures for them. I also have 2 versions of the Anusiya. First, they start out robed in their palace garb, then you can upgrade their armor to "Campaign Panoply" to get them as you see there. 

Here are my bebe bois:

screenshot0081.thumb.jpg.a553a62d7d11941407c96573b10c5fb5.jpg

(One more mention of how badass they'd look in a battalion with a standard bearer dude on their right position of honor.)

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1