My Feedback (10th Dec 2017 build)

Stratego

You have some cool stuff going on. I wish you all the best and hope you can finally release this someday.As for myself being more interested in the base building aspect of this game.

I think I put in about 10 hours in this build and about 20 in the standard build alpha 22.

Here is what I found in the 10th of  December 2017 build:

1.Workers when they verify the closest drop site check the distance, not the actual walking distance. So you can have a storehouse at a bottom of the cliff, and a  town center on the plateau and the worker chooses to go to the storehouse because it's theoretically closer. But the walking distance is maybe 6 times more than the the distance to the town center.This is easier to verify with trees, but also for hunting. Same is for moving to harvest another tree, picks the absolute closer one instead of taking the unpathable terrain and the walking distance in consideration.

2. Heroes can't enter siege engines even though the tool tips suggest otherwise.

3. It is hard to wall off a plateau, almost impossible sometimes to figure out. Also you can't connect walls to the edge of the map.

4. IF you took over a territory, why would the fields take so long to convert, even a longer time than the towers.

5. Minimap is very busy, it is great to see everything but it is too much. Wildlife especially clutters it. Maybe some filters are planned.

6. Animals in the first game bears had animations in the next games they glide around.

I also have questions, is it planned to:

1.those farmed looking land patches spread around the maps, are they supposed to have more fertility

2. have renewable resources (  ex.after 15 minutes trees to grow back, wildlife to reappear)

3.automatically remove trees to build

4. have units dismount to be put to work, trained horses should stay put grazing eventually.

5. to have attack and move ( if it is in game I didn't find the option)

6. capture and enemy town and build up their buildings also.

That' s it for now. I will keep an eye on this game.

Edit 2. Seems I can't answer my own thread hence the edit. hope people see it.

- @stanislas69regarding the animals yes I might looked at the bear from a bad angle where he seemed to move correctly in one game, the rest of the European animals seem to behave correctly ( deer, horse, boar, sheep, wolf )

@elexis - after I messed up with the bear I went and checked all my affirmations , the worker one stands,  second one heroes can enter only in battering rams if they are not --cavalry heroes--, cavalry heroes have the same tooltip referring to entering buildings or siege engines ( theoretically all are siege engines the ballistas, the catapults or the battering rams)

Also thanks for the answers.

Edited by Stratego
Edit 2
  • Like 2

I like your feedback, its very complete and isn't average noobie user.

also have questions, is it planned to:

1.those farmed looking land patches spread around the maps, are they supposed to have more fertility

2. have renewable resources (  ex.after 15 minutes trees to grow back, wildlife to reappear)

3.automatically remove trees to build

4. have units dismount to be put to work, trained horses should stay put grazing eventually.

5. to have attack and move ( if it is in game I didn't find the option)

6. capture and enemy town and build up their buildings also.

1-yes but isn't implemented.

2-very controversial, I give some related topic.

3- suggested before but not discussed deeply.

4- suggested before but is heavily micromanagement, so can be nice for specific cases.

5-already in game using hotkey right click ctrl.

6- nope,  the team change this.

Regenerative resources         

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stratego said:

2. Heroes can't enter siege engines even though the tool tips suggest otherwise.

Sounds like playing regicide with the option to disable garrisoning for heroes (which is a bit more entertaining as people otherwise hide them in buildings the entire game)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, elexis said:

Often there is impasable terrain on the map in between, or too few terrain. I do agree that it should become easier. (I've always wanted the valid, placeable locations to be green and the invalid ones to be red, so that we don't have to brute-force valid locations).

that would help indeed, by the way I edited my initial post a bit regarding siege engines garrisoning.

10 hours ago, elexis said:

So we can flatten an entire forest by placing foundations and deleting them?

No, only when once building them. 

Also, use your imagination. You can either use groves for "forests", ala DE, that cannot be built on, and then allow straggler [i.e. individual] trees to be built on/removed.

Or..... you can put a max number of destructible trees for each building [probably determine it by obstruction size of each building], so that if you hover a Barracks over, say, 3 trees it allows you to place the foundation, while if there are 4 or more trees it denies you. That way you can't just plop it right down in the middle of a forest.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stratego said:

only trees

Yep. I have never ever ran out of wood on any map in this game. Losing a few dozen trees isn't going to be a big deal as far as resources or even "depriving" your enemy of resources. There are eleventy billion trees on every map. And there are any number of ways to deal with that too, as alluded. 

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
On 29/12/2017 at 6:55 PM, Stratego said:

1.Workers when they verify the closest drop site check the distance, not the actual walking distance. So you can have a storehouse at a bottom of the cliff, and a town center on the plateau and the worker chooses to go to the storehouse because it's theoretically closer. But the walking distance is maybe 6 times more than the the distance to the town center. This is easier to verify with trees, but also for hunting. Same is for moving to harvest another tree, picks the absolute closer one instead of taking the unpathable terrain and the walking distance in consideration.

Hi.

I've noticed that in 2017 and this pathfinding problem still remains in the v0.0.24 Alpha Xšayāršā (win32) and in the 0ad-0.0.25-rP25760-alpha-win32.

On the other hand, I don't like to see my workers trying to collect resources way too close to the opponent's defenses and therefore exposing themselves to a certain quick death.

Hoping this will help.